• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
IMG_20210801_135828_493.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yoder is in, just threw some baby backs in there at 225, will report back when they are done. I ordered it assembled but this was a curbside delivery, took four of us to get this 400+pound beast up to the deck. So far, build quality lives up to the price, haven’t set up the WiFi yet and we’ll see in a few hours how well it cooks.

View attachment 1645497
What was the verdict on the first cook?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No pics but last night I did a low carb dinner with some homemade Italian sausage and a simple "weekday" red sauce. Browned the links and removed, softened onions and red bell peppers in the pan, put links back in and covered with the sauce to simmer for a couple of hours. Sauce was just a can of peeled San Marzanos, pureed with immersion blender, and simmered with a glug of good EVOO and diced garlic with dried oregano and thyme. Plated and topped with grated Parm. Very satisfying and very low carb.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My buddy wrangled me into being on his team for a bbq competition at the end of the month. I told him that i would be no help whatsoever except for an extra set of hands and that I would commence drinking Miller lattes as soon as practicable and throughout the day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So nice to see another Cook Shack in action.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @Piobaire for the recipe you posted many moons ago, is the finishing sauce (in b4 joak) worth it? Seems to add a lot of sugar and if I use a bbq sauce or something else later would probably be too much. I believe I used it the first time I made the recipe but am unsure if I want it this time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I can't remember if the recipe has molasses in it or if that was my add. I use that and unsweeted AJ. I think it's a plus but I might have modified it. At work and don't have my notes.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What was the verdict on the first cook?

apologies, I was going to take pics and do an “official” review but I’m all Yoder’d out.

The first cook went OK, not great. This is my first pellet cooker and I did not really know time/temp. I think I cooked them too low.

Next day made another test rack, did the 321 method and used a commercial rub. Had two issues, I did not use enough rub and the last hour stretched to two and a half hours because I had to go out (and haven’t set up the app yet). So they were overcooked but actually not that bad tasting.

Third day, another rack. Went with my own rub, started the ribs at 200 and adjusted temp higher as the cook went on, about 10 degrees an hour till I got to 230. Then wrapped in foil and sprayed for about an hour. I thought these came out fantastic. Tender, but with some bite. I sent over a few ribs to my son and some friends that were hanging out and they loved them. Success!! At this point I’m feeling like that Norwegian 400m hurdler. My wife came home and I gave her a rib to taste, and in her cold hearted, ruthless manner was like “Eh, they’re OK. Where’s the wood taste?”

The following day I cooked for about 15 kids and 15-17 adults. 8 racks of baby backs, 14 hamburgers, 8 hot dogs. The Yoder did terrific work. I did a hybrid of the 321 method, and everyone went crazy for the ribs. When they were done, I simply moved them to the side, opened up a hatch that covers the firebox to do direct fire grilling. Banged out the burgers and dogs, Yoder said temp was 600 degrees and I added these grates that claim they get 200-300 degrees hotter than cooker. Don’t know how true that is but burgers had terrific grill marks and were done in no time. People loved them. After everyone ate and we’re just drinking, I threw on a 2-2 1/2 inch strip steak, a few minutes a side, turned counter clockwise. Took out, rested and threw some butter/olive oil/roasted garlic blend on it, sliced. People absolutely loved it. Again great grill marks/char on it.
So my positives for it are:
Enough space to cook for an army
Coming from charcoal, the “set it and forget it” aspect can just not be overstated
Holds heat wonderfully
The grill option is probably my favorite feature. It’s a legit singe your eyebrows heat. I did not want to have a grill and a separate smoker.
The build quality is great.
Large hopper for the pellets
Almost no ash after cooking for hours.

Negatives:
It seems that pellet grills do not offer the same smoke taste as stick burners. There are options, like a tube you can put in with some burning pellets to give you the smoke taste. I used a smoke box with some chips and a few small pieces of burning charcoal. Still not the same. I’ve read that certain pellets give you a better smoke taste than others. Since the pellets burn quickly and don’t smolder like wood, it’s going to be hard to get a similar taste. I’m going to keep trying different things though. On the grill though, you did get a nice smoke flavor as you are cooking right over the fire.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if the recipe has molasses in it or if that was my add. I use that and unsweeted AJ. I think it's a plus but I might have modified it. At work and don't have my notes.
This is the one I used.

Marinade
½ cup orange juice
½ cup coke
1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
1-½ tbsp. celery salt
1-½ tbsp. cinnamon
1-½ tbsp. sea salt
1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
1-½ tbsp. oregano

Place the brisket and marinade in a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.

Rub
1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
1-½ tbsp. celery salt
1 tbsp. chili powder
1-½ tbsp. sea salt
1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
1-½ tbsp. oregano

While the brisket is coming to room temperature, apply rub. Smoke-cook at 225 degrees F for 12 hours with ½ hickory and ½ oak wood. Turn smoker temperature control to 150 degrees F.

Finishing Sauce Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 c. honey
1/8 c. orange juice
1/8 c. ketchup

Remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket. Pour finishing sauce over the brisket. Wrap securely.

Place in smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees F.
Remove brisket from smoker and open the foil to let steam escape. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Baste and serve with accumulated juices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads