Home furnishings/interior design

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

My apologies if this has been covered -- I did a search and it didn't yield anything relevant. I'd imagine a lot of you are fond of well-made, stylish furnishings. Â Any links or opinions? I'll start: Design Within Reach I'm fond of modern, somewhat minimalistic designs. Â Particularly fond of Mies van der Rohe's work (in furnishings, architecture, and other areas). Â I like a lot of metal, glass, high-quality plastics, leather... Â Can't stand wood. I wonder if there's any correlation between those who post here and prefer old world craftsmanship/artisanship in clothing as well as home furnishings. Â It would make sense... Â Can't say I'm much for ornate design, etc. but it's something I have an appreciation for. [edited to fix coding of hypertext]

2. thelakes

thelakes Active Member

They have a DWR in uptown now in Minneapolis. And yes I like the more modern look myself. Â However I like natural materials. Â I have some stuff from this store http://roomandboard.com/rnb/ as well.

3. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

I like West Elm (www.westelm.com) for modern, great looking that is inexpensive (but still well made).

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Try the StoreHouse, quite nice goods, not cheap, but very stylish. StoreHouse

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

having recently immigrated, I have a house full of furniture made with "European craftsmanship" - Ikea stuff that I have assembled myself. it does what it is supposed to, and when I have settled in I will start buying real furniture.

6. Roy

Roy Senior member

My parents have a couple of retail stores for some upscale bedroom furniture. So beds, walk-in closets, dressing rooms etc. etc.

Three brands that I love:
    TrÃ[​IMG]ca de Paris
    Very stylish, very expensive. Ordering a bed from TrÃ[​IMG]ca is like ordering a bespoke suit. You have to select the model, fabric (or hand in your own if you like), select certain options. They can make beds to your specification and actually work on the millimeter. Their slogan is (roughly translated): Haute-Couture in Beds.

Vi-Spring
    Still completely handmade, the entire British Royal Family sleeps on Vi-Spring beds. Very classical in appearance.

Jensen
    Scandinavian quality, but more modern in appearance than Vi-Spring. Also largely handmade. Very technical, everything is adjustable it has both cooling and heating. It also massages you.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I really like some of the stuff available from DWR - particularly designs by Eames, and some Noguchi as well. However, I could never find it in myself to pay so much for furniture (at least not now), and I think anyone who spends $1000+ on a desk lamp needs to have their wedgie surgically removed.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I like the idea of interior design, once. I don't like the idea of interior design fashion, where you have to change it all the time. I think this echoes globetrotter's comments elsewhere.

At the moment my interior design is eclectic-hand-me-down, which is working pretty well, though it doesn't look good. When I find a place I think I will be staying for a long time, I will build, or have built, custom furniture for the space. I particularly like the way boat/yacht cabins are crafted, so that all the space is utilized efficiently but still attractively.

9. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I like changing things around, but not for fashion's sake. "Fashionable" furniture just seems like a bad idea. I've never really been one for "retro" styling, I just want my place to look sort of like a cross between the interior of a spacecraft and Ronald Reagan's library, you know?

10. Roy

Roy Senior member

The way yacht cabins are crafted are amazing. But I always feel a bit claustrophobic when i'm aboard even the nicest of yachts. There's just so much furniture there. Two examples of what I really like: [​IMG] [​IMG] Both places look like they were designed are by a good interior designer. What I like about it is that the second photo has a warm feel about it, while still being a pretty large loft.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find neither particularly inviting. The first I find conceptually interesting, but practically, way too bright. You'd need sunglasses in that room during the day. And now that I think about it, what is it trying to do? Bridal salon chic?

In the second, the furniture has too much of a modernist feel for my taste, and looks mighty uncomfortable to boot. Plus, the arrangement is singularly unconducive to conversation. Also, there needs to be some art in the room, imo. As it stands, it looks rather unfinished.

Give me old Craftsmen furniture and houses (like they built in California in the 30s?) any day. Dark, sturdy wood furniture, granite, hardwood. Some marble.

12. StreetLaw

StreetLaw Well-Known Member

I agree with LA Guy. I was fascinated that the first few posts to this thread kept mentioning modern design (not that there is anything wrong with it) For me, one of the great things about the Style Forum, is the collective desire to eschew most trendiness-for-trendiness'-sake. I happen to be really interested in the Craftsman/Art & Crafts style, whose philosophy (yes, there is such thing as furniture philosophy) was developed mainly by William Morris in England, which held that the virtues of interior design (watch how closely these follow the goals of the Style Forum) were: 1. Expert design 2. Craftsmanship 3. High quality, natural materials 4. Utility 5. Value If anyone is interested in learning more, www.style1900.com and www.ambungalow.com are good starting points.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Roy, just got to thinking you might be able to help me out here. I *despise* German furniture. I've seen two couches since I've been here that had been designed well; one cost 10K euro and the other was Italian. Would you be able to point me to any furniture 'centers' within a few hours of Frankfurt? I'm looking for, as others have said before me, clean lines and minimalism. I like a little bit more of a traditional look than what seems to be popular here ( as found at Moebel Martin and others) with exposed wood frames and soft leather. Not looking for truly top end stuff, more in the range of 1-3K euro for a couch. Thanks much, and everyone feel free to chime in.

Tom

14. Roy

Roy Senior member

The only thing I could think of was Natuzzi, they make very decent stuff in a whole range of designs. They are also readily available throughout Europe. This is their German site: http://de.natuzzi.com/ They have quite a few dealers in the vicinity of Frankfurt: Dealers in Frankfurt

15. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

This is exactly what we started doing, lately. You can still find craftsmen who care about their work.  We had a cabinet made for our newly remodeled bathroom (my husband remodeled it himself).  We designed it together, thinking about our use of it, the space available (not much), chose the wood, etc.  It was a wonderful experience, and I'm glad my husband convinced me, because I was reluctant, initially.  I thought it would cost an arm and a leg, and in fact, it isn't all that much more expensive than what one can find in stores, and much sturdier, much more suited to our needs.  My husband also built bookshelves, floor to ceiling, on two of the walls of his study.  Very low cost, very sturdy.