• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Brew/Home Wine/etc

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went over to a friend's apt once and he opened the closet to get something out and it was full of his homebrewing stuff. He said he had made beer there several times and it turned out pretty good.

So, does anyone here brew their own beer or make their own wine, and if so, can you do it in an apartment or do you need a garage/basement? How messy is it? What were the results like? Was it worth it or a total waste of money?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I homebrew beer, and have brewed wine. It takes up a good bit of time and room, but it can be done in an apartment easy.

Yes, it is worth it.

mikej77

Reaction score
I homebrew beer as well. It can be a really fun hobby. It does take a bit of space, however I have no problem doing it in my apartment. There are some great kits out there, just check some of the online store (midwest brewing, beer-wine.com) and you can get a great kit for less than $200. Start off by doing the homebrew kits which will have all of the ingredients pre packaged and then after doing a few you can move on to doing your own mixes. Each batch usually turns out about two cases of beer. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months or longer, depending on the type you brew.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listed under "ect" I make my own yogurt and sauerkraut.

I'm waiting for a new crock to come in the mail. It's from a German company who has a patent on a gutter seal that you fill with water, making the crock air tight.

31XYDEK2CXL._SS400_.jpg

I also want to make my own kimchi when I get this.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Homebrewing can easily be done in an apartment, and is not very messy. It is very fun, especially when done socially with friends.

My advice: do it if you enjoy brewing, not for the cost savings or even the beer itself. The cost savings are swamped by the investment in time, and you can buy a better beer of any style than you can make for pennies more than it costs to homebrew something similar. This is true for all but the best homebrewers.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Then again, it is ridiculous to homebrew for purely monetary reasons.

Yes. This is all I'm saying.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs

I thought it took years to properly make kimchi, or is that just for the primo stuff?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree; it can save a good bit in money, and it is ridiculous to include time invested as a 'cost'. Then again, it is ridiculous to homebrew for purely monetary reasons.

You don't want to get paid for your labor? In that case, I have several projects that could use another employee. . .

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Listed under "ect" I make my own yogurt and sauerkraut.

I'm waiting for a new crock to come in the mail. It's from a German company who has a patent on a gutter seal that you fill with water, making the crock air tight.

31XYDEK2CXL._SS400_.jpg

My great grandmother had a crock like this. She always made sauerkraut herself. Now, I'm pretty sure my mom has the crock and she probably never uses it. My mom doesn't like sauerkraut that much.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I thought it took years to properly make kimchi, or is that just for the primo stuff?

Perhaps?

I don't know that much about making it. I've just watched a few instructional youtube videos. I would like to find a good book or something before I make it, and even then I will likely want to make several different batches before I find what kind of spice blend I enjoy the most.

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
I disagree; it can save a good bit in money, and it is ridiculous to include time invested as a 'cost'. Then again, it is ridiculous to homebrew for purely monetary reasons.

No, time spent homebrewing is certainly a cost. It's what economists call an "opportunity cost," since by spending your time homebrewing you lose the opportunity to do some other valuable thing -- hanging out with your kids, or working, or reading a book, or whatever. Some people really like homebrewing for what it is, and so value their time spent homebrewing accordingly.

teacha.gif

I homebrew, and actually made a batch of belgian trippel tonight. If you're interested, pick up a copy of Charlie Papazian's Art of Homebrewing or stop in at a local brew shop. The people there should be able to point you in the right direction.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Relax, and have a homebrew!

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hipcathobbes
No, time spent homebrewing is certainly a cost. It's what economists call an "opportunity cost," since by spending your time homebrewing you lose the opportunity to do some other valuable thing -- hanging out with your kids, or working, or reading a book, or whatever. Some people really like homebrewing for what it is, and so value their time spent homebrewing accordingly.

teacha.gif

I completely understand the economic idea of opportunity cost. But seeing the type of person that would take up the hobby of homebrewing, they are not doing it for economic reasons. Hence, my "you're marsupialed to homebrew for monetary reasons" comment. People homebrew because they enjoy it, not to save money. That's a fact.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads