• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Bars

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
New house has a nice bar. It is not plumbed, but pass through to the kitchen, has great granite counter (a lower working one and a higher bar counter), an under counter wine fridge, and lots of drawer and wall space. The walls are bare. I need to find wall shelves for holding bottles, stemware storage that won't get dusty, etc. Wondering if those LED lit shelves would look good.

So, ITT: your home bars. Post lots of pics. If you have a website that helps equip home bars, post those links.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's mine - nothing comparable, it's not really practical at all, but it works very well as a sort of three-dimensional mirror, and we keep some cigars/booze and booze-specific glasses etc. in there. Pictures are from our old flat.

Your set-up seems completely different - generally, I'm not too fond of home bars, but if you can use the "pass through" (is that like a serving-hatch, or more like a doorway?) to the kitchen, it can be very practical for getting finger food/nibbles and drinks out to guests, if you have a larger group in.

What's the rest of the room like? If it's a

If he bar is part of a bigger room, here's two thoughts: I'd avoid absolutely all bar-themed wall decor, and I'm strongly against the LED lighting, unless it's very indirect and discreet.

For any equipment like shelves, I'd find a pro bar/restaurant supplier, and whine my way into buying wholesale from them.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yes, it's part of a huge, open floor plan. The kitchen looks out on the great room and has a granite bar height counter facing the great room. The pass is an opening to the bar, which has matching and continuous granite behind the counter, then the same granite at the same bar height counter as the kitchen. The bar faces both my great room (which is indeed "great") and my formal dining room, which flows out of the great room.

I think you are correct about the LEDs. I think you are also correct about bar decorations (yuck and kitchy). There are canned ceiling lights throughout, with a few behind the bar, and I think aiming them down at the shelves is probably how to go. I also agree about getting this done professionally.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm very much a proponent of having nothing visible to anybody. Love the LS bar.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm posting here: our liquor is locked in a closet under the stairway.

I agree with Iamstillmatt in that I prefer nothing being visible.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'm very much a proponent of having nothing visible to anybody. Love the LS bar.

My problem is, even though I have quite a bank of under counter cabinets, I just own a crap ton of spirits bottles. I also have stemware to think about and do not want that exposed due to dust.

Hmm, the house is done in custom work...maybe get that guy to make matching stuff for the walls with doors so nothing is visible but the cabinetry?

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH I always thought the idea of a home bar was a 1970s thing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

chrisjr

Reaction score
great thread.

How about this?

and a few moar

Last edited:

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's part of a huge, open floor plan. The kitchen looks out on the great room and has a granite bar height counter facing the great room. The pass is an opening to the bar, which has matching and continuous granite behind the counter, then the same granite at the same bar height counter as the kitchen. The bar faces both my great room (which is indeed "great") and my formal dining room, which flows out of the great room.
I think you are correct about the LEDs. I think you are also correct about bar decorations (yuck and kitchy). There are canned ceiling lights throughout, with a few behind the bar, and I think aiming them down at the shelves is probably how to go. I also agree about getting this done professionally.

Had not realized you moved (knew you were looking at building a while back, but had abandoned that plan, at least temporarily), so congrats.

Maybe if you posted some pics along with the description above it might help people better understand your layout/needs?

For myself, we have a dry one in the finished basement (as set up by the previous owners), but it is used as junk shelving rather than as a bar. We don't have a proper bar set-up at all -- bottles reside on top of our china cabinet; white wine in a cheap wine fridge beside that; more bottles in a kitchen cabinet; red wine on a floor-standing wine rack (holds 6x4) with assorted wine tools and bottles on the serving-tray-top. I do not recommend this, it's just the cluttered accumulation that has built up over the years ... :embar:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does this mean you've gone and bought that dream home you kept talking about?

Seriously, though, this is a matter of taste. If I were you, knowing that this is already built into your house, I'd keep it simple. I wouldn't want my glassware and bottles out all the time; just pull out what you need when you need it. I'd make some nod towards the fact that it's a bar - maybe keeping a shaker or something out, but I wouldn't go whole hog.

That said, I have no idea what the space is and no idea where your tastes run.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not really on bars, but wine storage, but re the uncrate link, which lead me to this kickstarter project (now funded)
http://www.getstact.com/

Any toughs on fabricating something like this your self, for a cave ...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep my stemware in a cabinet. Tumblers, high balls and spirits glasses that are not regularly used are stored on an open shelf, they're never dusty. If there is a faint amount of dust I just give them a quick rinse and wipe them out prior to serving. I have a set of tumblers and cognac glasses on the top of my bar cart to display but also because they're most frequently used. Most of my guests seem to drink cognac or scotch when they are over, probably due to my own bias in that direction.

My bar is also granite and I find the clink of stemware on granite a bit unnerving, I think if I were to chose the material it would be wood.

I've been considering some sort of decent wine storage in the cellar. I've looked into Vino temp.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Let's see some pics of the new place Pio! I like the look of a couple nice bottles out if they are in their own area and not cluttering up a kitchen or something. I would get a silver serving tray to keep a few bar essentials like storing spoons, shaker and some glasses on and then keep everything else tucked away. If you don't have anything out it will just be a boring wall of cabinets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics