• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home alterations

jinx

Reaction score
I have a t-shirt that i really like, but is about two inches to wide (sholders and neck are fine).
Anyway, my mom has a sewing machine and i thought that i could easaly take in the sides myself.

Boy was i wrong.

i went through like 4 practice shirts before i realized i have no idea how to do this.

does anyone know where i can learn how to do this or can someone tell me?

i know i could take it to the dry cleaners, but im still hoping i can figure this out.
thanks.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ER can get your fingers unstuck pretty easily. For a sewing class call your local sewing & fabric shops and ask if they know :)

Lesson one: Alcohol is good, sewing is good.
...alcohol and sewing at the same time, not good.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it's the actual sewing part that's got you stumped, you need to make sure the sewing machine has a serger function, and you have to use the right kind of needle for knit fabrics (it's a blunt tip, that's all i know). also i believe you need to use a particular kind of thread...nylon? something that won't snap when it stretches.

i think if you google for t-shirt alterations you ought to find some help.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
somehow that wording just strikes me as funny.

jinx

Reaction score
bah, i took it to a dry cleaner. $10 seems a bit steep though...maybe she can show me how she did it. anyway, i can sew fine, its just the pattern thats tricky. i thought that i would just flip it inside out and sew parallel to the edge of the shirt. the problem is, when i turn it right side out again, there are all these folds along the seam. i think this is because theres suposed to be more fabric in the back of the shirt and by just copying the edge pattern im not compensating for this... by the way i cant find any decent sewing forums or sites online. *edit* i just googled "puckering", and dont think thats the problem. were talking major folds here.
smile.gif

tjmaglio

Reaction score
... also i believe you need to use a particular kind of thread...nylon? something that won't snap when it stretches.
I was able to pick up some Kevlar thread a number of years ago (you know, the same material used in bullet proof vests). I've used it to repair tears in clothing and even sew the sole of a sneaker back in place. Great stuff if you can find it. To remain on topic, try reading the book "Shirtmaking" by David Page Coffin Shirtmaking on Amazon. There are other books that relate sewing techniques that are useful too. Check your local library. Go to a thrift store and pick up some cheap shirts and practice more on them with what you're able to take from the literature. Good luck. Tom

stache

Reaction score
It sounds like you didn't pin the fabric before you sewed it. Also, stretch the fabric gently as you sew to give it built in ease. Better luck next time.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads