• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holt vs harry

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. If you are living in Canada (especially T.O.), and dress tastefully, then chances are you would shop either at Harry Rosen or Holt Ren. How would you compare two stores? I used to shop at Harry when Holt had ****** men's selection. But Holt now carries more men stuff and I think they have more 'tastefull' pieces. Harry does have more stuff than Holt, but more of crap does not impress me
tounge.gif
I went into Harry (Bloor) and did not find anything interesting. Also I find Harry's sales associate highly snobby. I wasn't wearing suits.. But I see all these people sitting down mingling each other. And this guy at Armani department, was standing like a fuccing statue and won't even blink at me. I think my shopping days are done with Harry. Oh well .. I guess I am not going to recieve free Harry Magazines any more
tounge.gif

High_Roller

Reaction score
When I was in Toronto, I frequented the Harry Rosen in the Eaton's center. I found they had a nice selection, but it wasn't as big as the Holts on Bloore, so they naturally didn't have as much. The casual section was very small, and they had rack upon rack of suits. The sales associates I talked to were actuall very kind and helpful, whereas the ones at Holt's were more ignorant. Still nice, but not as..friendly I suppose. Holts was having a big sale at the time, and they had some pretty nice shirts at good prices. I really can't decide which store I liked more, especially since I was only in each one a couple times. On the whole, neither had anything I liked enough to purchase.

Valmont

Reaction score
Hi all. Â If you are living in Canada (especially T.O.), and dress tastefully, then chances are you would shop either at Harry Rosen or Holt Ren. How would you compare two stores? Â I used to shop at Harry when Holt had ****** men's selection. Â But Holt now carries more men stuff and I think they have more 'tastefull' pieces. Â Harry does have more stuff than Holt, but more of crap does not impress me
tounge.gif
I went into Harry (Bloor) and did not find anything interesting. Â Also I find Harry's sales associate highly snobby. I wasn't wearing suits.. But I see all these people sitting down mingling each other. Â And this guy at Armani department, was standing like a fuccing statue and won't even blink at me. Â I think my shopping days are done with Harry. Â Oh well .. I guess I am not going to recieve free Harry Magazines any more
tounge.gif
Holt Renfrew has more "hip" labels so therefore appeals to a somewhat younger crowd as well. They have labes like Miu Miu, J.Lindeberg, Prada, Diesel, DSquared and Gucci that Harry Rosen doesn't carry. Harry Rosen has a much more conservative range and mostly targets professionals so if you need suit for an interview then go to Harrys and if you need a flashy "party suit" then go to Holts. It's funny though Harry Rosen is trying to be more hip and target a younger crowd but they carry stuff like Versace and D&G in their attempts to do so, personally I associate Versace with greasy Italian dudes and 30 something year old homosexuals...

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny though Harry Rosen is trying to be more hip and target a younger crowd but they carry stuff like Versace and D&G in their attempts to do so, personally I associate Versace with greasy Italian dudes and 30 something year old homosexuals...
Harry did have good stuffs in previous years, but this year they lost touch I think. I never find Versace interesting. I do not have gutts to pay $500CAD and wear dress shirt that have Versace logo all over the shirt.

I mean why cannot we have high end mens shop without snobby attitude? (Sales people at Harry definetly can learn something from staffs @ say .. OLD NAVY)

High_Roller

Reaction score
I'll probably be the only one, but I really like some of the things Donatella comes out with. The pop art shirts, specifically. I do hate the flashy printed silk dress shirts, though.

Classic

Reaction score
Personally speaking, I find the sales staff at Rosen to be more knowledgeable and friendly than that at Holt's. Although I continue to frequent both places, mainly because my wife is a frequent Holt flyer, for my tastes, I prefer Harry.
Like you MilanoStyle, when I shop, I actually dress down as I wish to see what the reaction of the staff is. On one occasion when shopping at an Armani Outlet store, I was actually followed by a sales staff even though I told him repeatedly that I was just looking and would call him if I needed any help or had any questions. Finally, I became so annoyed and confronted him and told him to stop following me. To make matters worse, when I wished to ask a question, the attitude was one of the worst that I had encountered in years. And this from a man(?) who appeared to be in his late 20's, and not some high school kid just working part-time for some extra money.
Needless to say, I did not make any purchases, but did return later carrying the purchases I had made at the other high end shops. This time, I received a more friendly welcome and was even appoligized to, but I still did not buy anything.
Sorry for the digression, but getting back to your question, for the clothes, I guess it all comes down to a matter of tastes and which store has what you are looking for. As for the service, I have enjoyed greater service and secured better advice from Rosen than from Holt's. Just my opinion.

Classic

Rudder

Reaction score
I agree with most comments made.

I shop mostly at the Harry Rosen on Bloor as it carries the best selection for business wear. One service I enjoy is the free alteration for the life of the garment. At Holt, I had to pay alterations for a shirt I bought on special.

My two complaints about Harry are that the sales generally suck and the store never seems to carry my size (small / size 36) unlike at Holt.

As for personal attention and courtesy of staff, my experiences vary. The associates at Harry on Bloor treat me well, but that's probably because I spend a lot of money there. However, I've been given the cold look at other Harry stores. It doesn't bother me that much; I just make sure I praise the people who provide good service.

Now I do enjoy shopping at Holt as well, but that's probably because it attracts the other gender. Shame on me.

General Koskov

Reaction score
My experience of Holt is limited to Winnipeg's 'Last Call' store, which is, of course, discounted merchandise. They have some interesting shirst (can't remember the details), including a perpetual selection of sky blue, pink, and purple end-on-end N&L shirts. Otherwise, nothing special.

I've been in Harry's once, but all I can remember was a lack of turtleneck sweaters.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree that the sales are terrible at Harry's - they seem to trot out all the old pork from the basement...  I always seem to do well at Holt's sales (Charvet shirts, Richard James ties).

For regularly priced goods there isn't much overlap in brands at the two stores (except maybe Armani, Boss and Canali) so if you want H&K shirts and Brioni suits you must go to Harry. For Paul Smith, Richard James, and Truzzi you go to Holt's.

I've not been troubled by service at either establishment but tend to prefer Holt's.

Rudder

Reaction score
There was a 20%-off sale for friends and family of Holt employees this past weekend. I only found out yesterday, otherwise I would've shared the promotion with those in the TO area.

However, there is an ongoing promotion with the MTM department. If you get a MTM suit and get measured with Holt's new device, you get a gift card for the value of 20% of the suit. I believe this offer expires on Sunday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads