• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holt Renfrew Toronto Boxing Day Sale

tradernick

Reaction score
I decided to post this as a public service, just in case future SF'ers decide to do a search for information.

I went to the Boxing Day Sale at Holt Renfrew in Toronto this morning. Advertised was 70% off some items, plus an additional 10% off those items from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. this morning. Now obviously you're not going to be getting anything really nice at 80% off, but I figured there might be some good deals there. I got there at 7 a.m.

I went straight to the men's shoes section. Total flop. All they had was a bunch of corrected grain crapola from Prada and a few pair of Ferragamo in size 16. All of the sale stuff was against one wall and none of the nicer shoes from the other lines was on sale.

Over to the men's shirts section. There were a couple of tables with ties, and a sign that said '70%' off. This would mean 80% since I was there before 10 a.m. There were some okay deals there, but none greater than 50% off the sticker price. Way better deals available here.

There were a few racks of shirts, with the usual names. Again, the discount seemed to be about 50%. I did think there were at least a few really nice shirts available on these racks, and picked up a great Duchamp french cuff for about $110 tax in. As anticipated, there was a serious lack of size 15 - 15.5.

Went to the socks bin, which was pretty minimal. Was hoping to drop a wad of cash on new socks for the year, but there was nothing to be had. I can wait for better deals here.

I wandered around for a while but didn't see anything else. Generally, the Holt Renfrew Boxing Day sale seems to be an attempt to move items that haven't moved over the past year, as opposed to offering significant savings on anything that might be considered desirable. There was nothing that was on for the additional percentage drop that they had advertised, and in fact nothing even remotely close to the 70% advertised, except for the Prada crapola-shoes. They weren't really trying to hide the fact, since they used a red pen to write the sale prices right on the tags which have the retail price. Overall, it was disappointing, and I've had much better results out of random trips up to the Holt outlet store at Vaughan Mills.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I was planning on checking it out tomorrow. Saved me a trip!

tradernick

Reaction score
Sure, no problem. Normally I'd worry that maybe you'd miss out on something I hadn't seen, but I took a pretty lengthy stroll through the men's stuff on both floors, and I couldn't see anything that really grabbed me, even i.e. really nice suits at half price. I didn't look through the tables with jeans on them but I'm not very confident that it would have been any different than the other sections. Plus whatever good stuff was there will have been picked out by now, I figure. There were quite a few people there by 7:30 a.m.

droy

Reaction score
Calgary was the same...waste of time...

suzuka

Reaction score
holts is known to be a rip-off at the best of times. You guys need to make a trip across the border.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You were actually expecting shelves to be brimming over with top product during a 70% off sale?

tradernick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tradernick
Now obviously you're not going to be getting anything really nice at 80% off
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
You were actually expecting shelves to be brimming over with top product during a 70% off sale?
Sigh...

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pop by the Sherway Holt at around 730 am. There were only a few shoppers inside.

What's available is hit and miss, and mostly miss.

I did pick up this vest for $120 with tax in (they happen to have the last one in the color I want and in my size):

pPOLO2-8602442_standard_v330.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump - take an additional 20% off the lowest ticketed sales price at Holt's this weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads