1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hollande's and Akihito's suits: a comparison

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CrimsonSox, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I'm glad this thread has reared its head; it contains a lesson that is so rarely voiced - that great tailoring isn't just about fit but proportion. A good fit might be close but not tight, but good proportion has so much more impact on the overall aesthetic and explains why good bespoke is that much more expensive.

A Master Tailor can rarely cut straighter, sew faster or press more firmly than one with 5, 10 or 15 years training, but he understands how the narrowness of the sleeve and the spacing of the buttons relates to the rest of the garment. It also shows how troublesome it can be to use online MTM services.

3 people like this.
  2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

The emperor's clothes are just fine.

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The point of this thread is that they are more than fine, they are perfect for his frame.

4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

While they definitely look better than the communist's pants, don't count out that the hereditary ruler's slimness is the main thing that is more slimming.

A more appropriate test would be a comparison of wide and thin pants on each, as we now have on Hollande. Check mark. But I think pants that were a bit slimmer, on supreme being, would make him look slimmer than his wide pants. Better, maybe not (matter of taste), but slimmer, probably.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if his clothes are meant to conceal a very skinny/meek physique.

Anyway without examples and diagrams and shit, tough to explain and judge.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Yes, I agree, I was just making a word play on The Emperor's Clothes paradigm. (Is paradigm the right word there? Hmmmm.)

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Apologies, I totally missed the refference, my bad!

(I think you mean parable, rather than paradigm)

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Ah, yes. Knew it was some kind of para!