Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Holland & Sherry

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I saw some H&S suiting fabric the other day in the Imperial Luxury Lightweight line. Looks very nice , about 8-9 ozs., for summer suiting. Anyone have any experience with lighter weight H&S fabrics?

The price seems very good, <$1k for a M2M suit done in Hong Kong.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I'd thought I'd seen all of the H&amp;S summer suitings (excellent) but maybe not. How high a super is it?

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

I'd thought I'd seen all of the H&S summer suitings (excellent) but maybe not. How high a super is it?

Don't know. I would venture about 120-130, given the cost. I will check it on Saturday when I go to order a pair of trousers. I'm trying a pair of trousers first, and if I like the work, will get a suit in the H&S. It is a stunning Glen Plaid.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I was thinking about getting something done with some of the 100's 8.5 oz cloth or the 120's 9 oz cloth (which is called Target). Some of the best stuff you'll get from a HK tailor short of suplying your own.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Holland and Sherry carries only first rate cloth. I have 7 or 8 outfits made from their cloth and they perform fabulously. Many of their suits I prefer over the harder finish lesser fabrics which, theoretically, I should prefer. In many cases their cloth is softer without sagging which is good if you lift weights or tend to "fight" your suits.

On the one occasion a Holland and Sherry suit did not perform properly due to a bizarre defect in the weave, H&S more than compensated me for my cost and time.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Last night I used a length of H&amp;S cloth as a throw blanket. It was very comfortable. I am considering doing this more often. I can just imagine napping under a boldly checked cashmere jacketing one day, a donegal weave lambswool another, and a flannel chalkstripe with a girl underneath.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Brilliant...

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Speaking of how good H&S cloth is, I have 4.5 yards of H&S cloth in a charcoal birdseye that I've decided is too similar to another suit I already own. I'll let the whole length go for $100 if anyone is interested. You'd probably pay about that much per yard if you bought it retail.

dan

9. imainish

imainish Senior member

I'd be interested. Can I see a photo of the material?

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of how good H&S cloth is, I have 4.5 yards of H&S cloth in a charcoal birdseye that I've decided is too similar to another suit I already own. I'll let the whole length go for $100 if anyone is interested. You'd probably pay about that much per yard if you bought it retail.

dan

D...see my PM.

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

12. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

dan

I would also be interested, if imainish isn't. As a newbie to the fabric buying trade, how much is needed for the average suit?

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

About 3 yards for a two-piece SB suit in 40R. Maybe a little bit more if it's a large pattern. There was lots of interest in my cloth. I should have asked for more $$. [​IMG]

14. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

About 3 yards for a two-piece SB suit in 40R. Maybe a little bit more if it's a large pattern. There was lots of interest in my cloth. I should have asked for more $$. [​IMG]

That's why e-bay is an auction site [​IMG]

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Last night I used a length of H&S cloth as a throw blanket. It was very comfortable. I am considering doing this more often. I can just imagine napping under a boldly checked cashmere jacketing one day, a donegal weave lambswool another, and a flannel chalkstripe with a girl underneath.

Youre in more extended company than you might think. H&S does a steady clip selling their suit fabric to interior decorators for drapes and upholsteries. A prior tailor of mine made a matching beret for me out of cashmere he made an overcoat for me with. I looked a bloody fool in it but it demonstrates the amazing uses for fabric.