• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holiday Party: Cocktail Attire?

bandar

Reaction score
There's no definitive thread with an answer (I searched!), so I am bringing the topic up again.

I have a holiday party tonight for my law firm, and the invitation says "Cocktail Attire Suggested (no tuxes necessary)". Between the two options (or any additional suggestions), what would be more appropriate? The party is on a boat cruise in Washington DC (if that makes a difference), and I just joined the firm three days ago, so I'd obviously like to make a good impression and be dressed appropriately.

Option 1: Black trousers, spread collar dress shirt with french cuffs, grey herringbone jacket.

Option 2: Dark grey suit with vest, spread collar dress shirt with french cuffs, tie and coordinating pocket square.

Should my attire be somewhere in the middle? Am I on the right track? Thanks!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your firm is like, but if no tuxes are necessary, to me, that would mean dark suit. I would not dress too ostentatiously. That is, I would lay off the pocket square, thefrench cuffs, and though against my better judgement, I would keep a spread collar.

Again, depends what the others are like, but if you have not seen anyone else wear a 3pc suit, or a pocket square, don't be the first. Unwanted attention.

Matt S

Reaction score
Option 2, but without vest, sounds appropriate. Since it said "no tuxes necessary" that would be one step down.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Option 2, but without vest, sounds appropriate. Since it said "no tuxes necessary" that would be one step down.

+1 if the only 2 choices are what you listed.

bandar

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll go with the option 2 without the vest. I have seen pocket squares and french cuffs around the firm when partners wear suits (by default the firm is business casual), but have yet to see a vest. Thanks!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dark suit, dark tie. Ditch the matching pocket square.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with #2, but make sure pocket square didn't match the tie. If by coordinating, you meant complementary as oppossed to matching, then no correction needed.

bandar

Reaction score
Coordinating did mean complementary, i.e. not the same pattern as the tie. I think a pocket square that exactly matched the tie would be a bit (or more) tacky.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I have something similar with my company tomorrow (just started a couple weeks ago). I was going to wear navy pinstripe slacks, button down, tie and a gray sportscoat. Should I opt for a suit with a button down and no tie instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics