• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Holiday Party: Cocktail Attire?

bandar

Reaction score
There's no definitive thread with an answer (I searched!), so I am bringing the topic up again.

I have a holiday party tonight for my law firm, and the invitation says "Cocktail Attire Suggested (no tuxes necessary)". Between the two options (or any additional suggestions), what would be more appropriate? The party is on a boat cruise in Washington DC (if that makes a difference), and I just joined the firm three days ago, so I'd obviously like to make a good impression and be dressed appropriately.

Option 1: Black trousers, spread collar dress shirt with french cuffs, grey herringbone jacket.

Option 2: Dark grey suit with vest, spread collar dress shirt with french cuffs, tie and coordinating pocket square.

Should my attire be somewhere in the middle? Am I on the right track? Thanks!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your firm is like, but if no tuxes are necessary, to me, that would mean dark suit. I would not dress too ostentatiously. That is, I would lay off the pocket square, thefrench cuffs, and though against my better judgement, I would keep a spread collar.

Again, depends what the others are like, but if you have not seen anyone else wear a 3pc suit, or a pocket square, don't be the first. Unwanted attention.

Matt S

Reaction score
Option 2, but without vest, sounds appropriate. Since it said "no tuxes necessary" that would be one step down.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Option 2, but without vest, sounds appropriate. Since it said "no tuxes necessary" that would be one step down.

+1 if the only 2 choices are what you listed.

bandar

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll go with the option 2 without the vest. I have seen pocket squares and french cuffs around the firm when partners wear suits (by default the firm is business casual), but have yet to see a vest. Thanks!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dark suit, dark tie. Ditch the matching pocket square.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with #2, but make sure pocket square didn't match the tie. If by coordinating, you meant complementary as oppossed to matching, then no correction needed.

bandar

Reaction score
Coordinating did mean complementary, i.e. not the same pattern as the tie. I think a pocket square that exactly matched the tie would be a bit (or more) tacky.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I have something similar with my company tomorrow (just started a couple weeks ago). I was going to wear navy pinstripe slacks, button down, tie and a gray sportscoat. Should I opt for a suit with a button down and no tie instead?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.