Holiday Party - 30's and 40's Theme

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thekosmicdesign, Oct 8, 2012.

1. thekosmicdesign

thekosmicdesign Active Member

My company holiday party will be at a restaurant at an old train station. The party's theme is 1930's and 1940's. My guess is there will be some art deco type of decorations and possibly some festive entertainment congruent with the theme.

My plan is to simply wear a normal navy suit, white shirt, black shoes, and a colorful tie/PS. I'm sure my outfit would look fine, but is there anything I can do to be more in line with the theme? I don't want to spend on something that I would only wear once in my life to this event. Everything in my planned attire is modern-looking.

I'm one of the youngest in the company and thus am a fairly low-ranking employee. But as far as I can tell, I'm in good standing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

3. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

Watch an episode or two of Boardwalk Empire. Pick a fit from the show that includes some elements you already own, then do a little shopping for remaining elements. One easy way to make a modern fit look at least a little 30's is to wear classics, navy or gray suit, solid blue shirt, etc. and throw on a good quality hat.

4. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

He should watch some gangster movies instead, BE is from the late teens/early 20's.

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Grease up your hair and make a razor-straight parting as just about everyone greased their hair in those days. Add a hat as suggested.