Holiday Cocktail Attire?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Texastyle, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I received an invitation to a holiday party and the suggested dress code is "holiday cocktail attire". Does anyone know exactly what that means? I'm not sure if I should wear a suit, sportcoat, or an ugly christmas sweater. I'm going with a girl I've had a crush on for a long time, so I want to look nice, but I am afraid to put my best effort forward and be over dressed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Some important info- Its at an art gallery, its for members of a graduate program and everyone there will be in their mid 20s, and its Texas so I never know if its going to be classy or not.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. landshark

landshark Senior member

My company is throwing a celebration soon that calls for "cocktail attire." My boss (a woman, soon to be made apparent) described it as a code for women to wear longer cocktail dresses and for men it meant anything from a sport coat & jeans to a suit & tie to a tuxedo. Obviously, she has no idea what she is talking about. Regardless, I am just going to bust out my black velvet tuxedo jacket and wear a black bow tie. I am in Texas also.

3. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

One thing that also has me worried is my limited options. I'm a poor college student so I only have a grey suit or a khaki colored herringbone sport coat. I guess I can always try to grab something in Houston when I'm off for Thanksgiving break.

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

santa suit + cowboy boots.

or just wear your grey suit + white shirt and some red and green accessories.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Bathrobe, slippers.

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

7. 17 Seconds

17 Seconds Well-Known Member

Texastyle, you have a couple of things working for you-

+ You're thinking about what you're going to wear (most of the other guys aren't)
    + Everyone else is in their 20s, and if they're anything like me in my early 20s, I was poorly dressed in ill-fitting clothing
    + A girl to accompany you

If it were me, I'd go with a dark sports coat, button down shirt, no tie, with dark (non-distressed) jeans. Maybe a pocket square? Nothing wrong with being a little more dressy than everyone else.

Whatever you wear, wear the shit out of it so you can impress your lady-friend. Keep in mind that the only thing that looks truly bad on any gentleman is lack of confidence.

And square-toed shoes.

8. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

9. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

How about this jacket, jeans, a white shirt, green tie, and a white and some kind of pocket square (would green with white polka dots work?) I'm awful at complementing colors without matching so let me know if that sounds horrible.

[​IMG]

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Brooks Brothers.
    [​IMG]
    Have fun..

11. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

It's beauuuuutiful. Seriously though, do people actually wear something that awful?

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a black velvet jacket that I wore for many years in the 80's to such events. I've seen some similar ones in Burgundy and deep blue (DB) from Paul Smith and chocolate from Alan Flusser (with peaked lapels) . You can go with grey flannels or jeans, white shirt and tie or blue shirt and pocket square depending upon the crowd.

I'm tempted to get one. Velvet is festive, fun and everyone wants to touch it.

13. GusW

14. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I came across this in the pocket square thread and really like the look. I just have no idea where to find a pocket square like this (Plus I don't know if this is a "wintery" look)

[​IMG]

15. GusW

^^^That is a spring/summer look