1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Holes on leather/shearling after the needles (how resolve this problem)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Valerius1906, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Valerius1906

Valerius1906 Active Member

Hi to all SF forum members! I bought the shearling jacket (like on photo, but in black colour). It was with patch pockets on chest. I gave this jacket to a tailor to remove pockets. Pockets were removed, but there were holes after the needles. These holes are hardly noticeable, but in proper angel of light they are visible (see photos).
    Please, I need your (SF members [​IMG] , proffesionals tailors etc) proffesional help, how to repair/remove/hide this holes. [​IMG] Thanks a lot!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Honestly, what did you expect? Leather is skin. If I stuck you with a needle there would be holes too

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very Manton-esque ITG response, Jack.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm afraid, there is nothing you can do.

Any hole in leather, cut by a needle or a pin will leave a permanent mark. Unlike a woollen cloth you cannot go over it with a steam iron and the holes will have disappeared. That's the reason why the operators on leather goods or shoes have to be highly skilled, one crooked seam and the piece is a reject.

I am rather surprised that a professional tailor or even a seamstress took on the job to remove the pockets. S/he should have known, that this will happen.

If the garment is reversible, wear it fur-side-out.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Very Manton-esque ITG response, Jack.

Somebody's got to do it. Good news is I'm thicker skinned than Manton.

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

It's not completely "removable", but try some similar color leather polish to see if you can minimize the look

7. Valerius1906

Thanks for bengal-stripe and lee_44106!!

8. Valerius1906

Please, more ideas! [​IMG]))) Thanks!

9. Valerius1906

Ideas for you to choose from:

1) Get a sewing needle and randomly punch about 100,000 holes over the surface of that garment. When people ask you about it, tell them it's designed in Ukraine. This will work best if you speak like Borat. Mumble something about women dropping their panties.

2) Wear this garment as-is. When people ask you about it, speak of bread lines and other Ukrainian austerity measures. Again, speak like Borat for best results.

3) You can try using a leather conditioner to see if it makes the leather swell slightly and perhaps make those holes a little less obvious. I'm sure this won't be completely successful.

4) There are flexible fillers used to repair leather damage to furniture and car seats. Never heard of this approach being used on clothing but I'm no expert. You might want to search around locally and/or on the Internet for more information.

5) If I knew I weren't going to wear the garment otherwise and were ready to write it off, I might try spot filling and polishing that area with a matching shoe cream to see if I couldn't disguise the holes a bit. I'd test on a small hidden area first being trying this. It could end up uglier.

6) Repair the damage by covering with new pockets.

Thanks for funny ideas! [​IMG] I knew, that somebody offer return back the pockets! [​IMG]))))

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

A meat tenderiser should sort that quickly.

11. iroh

iroh Senior member

Looking for solutions for this too.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

I answered that question already. See above. Alternatively you may wish to use the material from the pockets that were removed and make a series of shearling plugs with which to fill the holes. Similar to the carpentry procedure. YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. celery

celery Senior member

Well, I have a bit of a quick hack job solution for you if you're desperate to minimize their visibility.

[​IMG]
    Here I made some fairly good sized holes using a diamond punch in some soft lambskin.

[​IMG]
    Using some eco-flo leather glue I coated the area where I made holes (I recommend working in small section because you want to wipe off excess before it dries!).

[​IMG]
    Here you can see that I wiped off the top layer of glue. I just used a regular paper towel, you should not use anything that comes apart (like a q-tip) so you don't get left over strands sticking to the leather.

[​IMG]
    After waiting a few minutes for the glue to dry, I used a paper towel to rub the area with Fiebings leather dye.

[​IMG]
    Here it is after a couple minutes to dry, the holes are quite minimized.

So, it's not the most graceful fix, but it's something.

1 person likes this.
  14. iroh

iroh Senior member

Damn that is ghetto!

15. celery

celery Senior member

You're welcome to use this method iroh, it's almost as good as your sock fix.

16. iroh

iroh Senior member

My leather jackets all have a smooth grain. It would be best if I purchased a new hide and resewed the jacket.

However if you have a method for fixing smooth leather I am all ears. God Bless Him Obama The President Of These United States.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  17. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

This is awesome in so many ways. So many.

1 person likes this.