• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

holding cutlery properly

yesyes_22

Reaction score
sooo i am always get ragged on for not holding my fork "properly" (who woulda thunk) - anyways you guys know what i mean... you can hold it the proper way or like a "shovel" my mother refers to it as ... what are your thoughts?

KenN

Reaction score
I hold the fork in my left hand and knife the right (I am right handed). When I am cutting with a fork and knife I grasp my fork with my thumb and index finger with the handle of the fork running along my palm, and I spear my food with the tines down. This is the European style of fork etiquette.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
I hold the fork in my left hand and knife the right (I am right handed). When I am cutting with a fork and knife I grasp my fork with my thumb and index finger with the handle of the fork running along my palm, and I spear my food with the tines down. This is the European style of fork etiquette.

Exactly.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that most people who make comments about etiquette are usually the first to talk with food in their mouth, leave food on their face for longer than a few seconds, or talk obnoxiously loud during a group meal.

Personally, I practice what I feel is appropriate etiquette, and part of that is never commenting on someone else.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hold my fork improperly due to a physical malformity. For some reason I cannot turn my wrist fully over. What I mean is, hold both of your hands out in front of you, palms-down. Then turn them both facing palm-up. For some reason the furthest range-of-motion I have is palms facing each other (my thumb is facing the ceiling like a hand-shake). I have never been able to turn my wrists fully over. My father has the same problem. It has never affected me in sports (hockey, baseball, basketball, wrestling, etc). But I am unable to bring the fork to my mouth gracefully while holding it "properly". Oh well.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I hold my fork improperly due to a physical malformity. For some reason I cannot turn my wrist fully over. What I mean is, hold both of your hands out in front of you, palms-down. Then turn them both facing palm-up. For some reason the furthest range-of-motion I have is palms facing each other (my thumb is facing the ceiling like a hand-shake). I have never been able to turn my wrists fully over. My father has the same problem. It has never affected me in sports (hockey, baseball, basketball, wrestling, etc). But I am unable to bring the fork to my mouth gracefully while holding it "properly". Oh well.

Must suck for doing bicep curls. I guess you can do hammer curls instead.

Regarding fork etiquette, there is no proper hand to use. One style is American, the other European. Anyone who tells you only one is appropriate is lying to you.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only do hammer curls. Also, I cannot do chin-ups.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can only do hammer curls. Also, I cannot do chin-ups.

Interesting. I broke my left arm as a kid. Didn't do the rehab exercises as much as I should have, so my range of motion (same axis you are referring to) is limited in that arm. I can turn it to face the ceiling, but not quite all the way. Not an issue for anything - except it limits some of the stuff I can do on a guitar, unfortunately.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seriously attempted to learn the guitar. But the few times I've picked a friend's up, I've had real trouble reaching everything. Its safe to say that I would probably be physically unable to play the instrument.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I cut with the knife in my right hand the fork in my left. I tend to get tired of switching hands to eat so I'll cut most of my food up first and then proceed to eat.

On a slightly related note, my father insists that if you are seated at a table eating french fries (like with a steak..., or even a sandwich) it is improper to eat them with your fingers. As a child I got many cuffs to ear and 'use the fork you aren't a street urchin. thats why its there on the table damn't!' upon grasping at french fries with fingers. What are your thoughts on this?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fries are finger-food in 99.9% of situations. If I was with the queen of England and she used a fork, then I would too.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fries are finger-food in 99.9% of situations. If I was with the queen of England and she used a fork, then I would too.

Eating fries without a fork may be appropriate 99.9% of the time, but maybe ordering fries isn't always appropriate.

I don't really like how some people cut up all of their food before eating it. It doesn't bother me that much, but I don't understand why people can't use the knife in their other hand and cut one piece at a time. It's not surgery... just cut.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Regarding fork etiquette, there is no proper hand to use. One style is American, the other European. Anyone who tells you only one is appropriate is lying to you.

Correct. There is no proper method between European/Continental and American style, the European method is more suited for spearing your foods and eating in one motion, while the American style is more ritualized and the food is lifted (tines up).

I stab my at my food most of the time, but when eating certain foods (e.g. peas, mash, fish etc...) the American style is better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads