• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hold Em Up--Suspender Button Advise Needed

zeero3

Reaction score
This is my first double-breasted suit. A heavier weight charcoal pin stripe I purchased off ebay. It was apparently made bespoke for someone, close to my size, by a New York tailor (Sanitate). It's been to my alterations tailor with the following things done: 1) shortened sleeves from the shoulders, 2) waist brought it, 3) pants leg cuffed, 4) ~1" of jacket length taken off (I was scared), and 5) button moved to get lapel to sit against chest better.

I'm happy with the result, but now noticing an issue with the pants. There are no belt loops or tabs--nothing to keep the pants from sliding from the waist to the hips. The result is the front sagging, causing ripples down the inseam, and a disastrous looking break.

Is the answer simply to add buttons for suspenders? And if so, is the preferred method to add these buttons on the inside or outside of the waistband? Also, if anyone wants to, nitpick the fit of the jacket. Any honest criticism appreciated.....

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
add the brace buttons on the inside. jacket sleeves look a little short. everthing else...not bad..

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
If you choose braces the actual placement of buttons is your preference, because there are NO solid rules on whether they should be inside or outside. In days past they were on the outside and were covered with a waistcoat/vest, then the buttons moved to inside . I've even seen people move them about on front and back to have the front outside and the back inside (the latter to stop them digging into a car seat).

On trousers that come with brace buttons, nowadays they are usually inside. And the front buttons are either side of the trouser crease.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a similar note, any good site to get suspenders/braces online for a decent price. I would not mind trying a pair but would not know where to begin to look in town.

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
add the brace buttons on the inside. jacket sleeves look a little short. everthing else...not bad..
Noted. Advice taken from one with experience.
Originally Posted by Agatha Crusty
If you choose braces the actual placement of buttons is your preference, because there are NO solid rules on whether they should be inside or outside. In days past they were on the outside and were covered with a waistcoat/vest, then the buttons moved to inside . I've even seen people move them about on front and back to have the front outside and the back inside (the latter to stop them digging into a car seat). On trousers that come with brace buttons, nowadays they are usually inside. And the front buttons are either side of the trouser crease.
Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I think I will put the buttons inside. By any chance, do you know how much an experienced alterations tailor usually charges to add brace buttons? Seems like the simplest of tasks.
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
On a similar note, any good site to get suspenders/braces online for a decent price. I would not mind trying a pair but would not know where to begin to look in town.
This was going to be my next question. Will from A Suitable Wardrobe sells, what seems to me, a nice set of braces for $95. Are there any suggestions for braces? I'll be researching braces in the mean time......

LanceW

Reaction score
Albert Thurston for braces. Place the buttons 2" on each side of the pleats. Expect the buttons to take up 0.5" in the waist.

I don't know if the jacket sleeves are too long but I would definitely bring in the shirt sleeves or select a smaller cuff that limits them from hanging down as far.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
With a suit like that Thurston is the only way to go.

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Albert Thurston for braces. Place the buttons 2" on each side of the pleats. Expect the buttons to take up 0.5" in the waist.

I don't know if the jacket sleeves are too long but I would definitely bring in the shirt sleeves or select a smaller cuff that limits them from hanging down as far.

Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
With a suit like that Thurston is the only way to go.

It looks like I can't go wrong paying Thurston's website a visit.

Does anyone have information on the pros/cons or functionality of what the braces are made of? Is barathea preferred over boxcloth? Does a set of braces that wears warm/cool make a difference in the least bit? Is one more comfortable than the other?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads