• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hogweed Infestation in NY Causing 2nd Degree Burns

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can cause blindness and dark scarring that takes years to heal. http://www.businessinsider.com/this-...p-on-it-2011-7 Video Report (in Norweigian) http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/sorlandet/1.7163227
gianthogweed.jpg

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Wow that is some pretty nasty stuff. Do you know why there was an outbreak of Hogweed?

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fleet on feet
Wow that is some pretty nasty stuff. Do you know why there was an outbreak of Hogweed?

apparently it was originally introduced to britain as an ornamental plant, and it spread from there - though why anyone would think that a plant that causes rashes & blisters would be great as an ornament is a mystery to me.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Having that as an ornamental plant seems like a terrible idea, although the flower does look almost identical to queen anne's lace.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know why, but here are the NY stats. Seems to be spreading eastward.
ghmap2011.jpg

Costanza

Reaction score
Having that as an ornamental plant seems like a terrible idea, although the flower does look almost identical to queen anne's lace.

Until forty or fifty years ago no one knew any better. My most despised north american exotic is ailanthus, the "stinky tree," or "tree of heaven." Starlings are a close second.

As for hogweed, look at the leaves. They are very different to those of QAL. Big, broad and lobed. The stalks are heavier to. I'm going to memorize that form...

Costanza

Reaction score
and they are BIG!

giant-hogweed-1.jpg

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few examples of Giant Hogweed out in the wild (and not close either) and if there was ever one weed that should face extinction, this would be it. Don't even think of burning them because the smoke/sap mixture will destroy your lungs.

Costanza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
I have seen a few examples of Giant Hogweed out in the wild (and not close either) and if there was ever one weed that should face extinction, this would be it. Don't even think of burning them because the smoke/sap mixture will destroy your lungs.

So what do you do? Bag it, and then clean your tools?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have it around my cabin in ON. Kill it with heavy duty chemicals, then cut it and bag it along with the gloves you used.

Pain **********.

lefty

Costanza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I have it around my cabin in ON. Kill it with heavy duty chemicals, then cut it and bag it along with the gloves you used.

Pain **********.

lefty

With shirt sleeves down I guess... and a balaklava. How far north in ON?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Don't know why, but here are the NY stats. Seems to be spreading eastward.
ghmap2011.jpg

****, I didn't realize it was so widespread in Western NY. Please stay away from the rest of the state
frown.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Costanza
With shirt sleeves down I guess... and a balaklava. How far north in ON?

About an hour north of Peterborough.

Yes, covered with a disposable overalls which also get tossed.

lefty

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never heard of hogweed. looks similar to poison hemlock:
2j198g2.jpg
and wild carrot weed, which is edible. the fuzzy stem and singular flower bulbs distinguish it. you can cook the root if the plant is younger. use the seeds as a mild contraceptive if you dont have access
2a9rx28.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads