• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What look would you like to see stopped?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Vero that the three button suit does not "suit" everyone. On many, it does not flatter. I am 5' 9", and I look ridiculous in one. I owned one for a year and smartly gave it to Goodwill, where, I hope, someone with the right build can make use of it.

As for the the good old J Press 3 button suit--where the top button is never buttoned--it is a very classic look that can always be worn.

I love to wear and see people wearing pocket squares. But, it bothers me to see people who don't take the time to fold or stuff them properly. And, I guess that I am of the school that prefers a pocket square to not be the mirror of the tie pattern.

Valmont

Reaction score
designer handbags combined with cheap worn out northface/ university crested backbacks.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tassels, turtlenecks, riley collars, smart pants, anything yellow, button-down shirts, big shoulder pads (more on that in another topic), and suits with a center vent.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks that need to go

1. The grunge look - Ok, my theory is that this was started as a conspiracy by ugly people to bring the rest down to their level.

2. Hey, the 70s were ugly the first time, why revive them? (see above-mentioned conspiracy theory) Lose the bell bottoms, hip huggers don't even look good on Selma Hayek (well, maybe) and the peasant look? Fine - if you're a peasant.

3. The techie guy "I am computer literate thus needn't wear shoes and shaving is not worth my time".

4. Ladies... would a skirt kill you? Not talking minis or anything but a long, fitted skirt with a silk blouse looks soooooo much better than when y'all dress like us.
Here's a vote to return the business world to business dress. The suit is a wonderful thing for one reason if no other - it helps the clueless solve the matching problem :)

5. Metal stuck through any part of your anatomy other than the ear - and only if you are female. Vets with a chunk of shrapnel exempted.

aybojs

Reaction score
I'm fighting a bout of insomnia, so: 1. Dark dress shirts, especially the kind made by entry level brands like DKNY and Kenneth Cole with overly bold colors and near-metallic sheen, which just end up looking like cheap synthetic fabric (which they often are). Sometimes the higher end brands (Costume, Lang) can look alright in a club when paired with some light jeans, but the clueless often overdo the dark color effect by donning black pants, thus looking like eurotrash or wannabe eurotrash. The worst, though, is when people try to dress them up with an equally shiny/metallic solid tie in a twisted variation of the Regis look, and think they look cool and modern instead of just plain silly. 2. On that note, solid ties, with the possible exception of black. The whole point of a tie is to add some color and excitement to your suit, not keep everything in a drab monotone. Since it's certainly possible to mix patterns with shirts or suits, there's no reason not to make an effort. Dark and earthtone ties fall in that same realm, as do similarly colored pocket squares (the whole point of them is be bright and colorful). 3. Military/safari gear, unless you're involved in one of the two. I find earthtones insufferably boring when overdone, and then 10 extra pockets or camouflage are of no use to you since you don't need to reach for a canteen or hide in the trees. 4. Muscle shirts/wifebeaters/tanktops- need I say more? 5. Doc Martens, Sketchers, Steve Maddens, and all other chunky shoes with an overly thick rubber sole, especially when people try to pass them off as dress shoes. 6. Louis Vuitton. I just find the logo hideous (to say nothing of the price), and the same goes with the equally ugly imitations I've seen brands like Gucci and Coach do. Why is LV so highly thought of when so much of their stuff is dreadfully tacky logowear? 7. Dockers and their ilk. I realize good trousers are expensive, but a nice pair of linen trousers, cords, or wool slacks is far superior than anything in the Dockers-range, especially when you consider that Dockers color-fade and get worn, ragged, and generally unwearable after only a few months of wash and wear (I bought some in high school when I didn't know better, ugh
sad.gif
)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. On that note, solid ties, with the possible exception of black. The whole point of a tie is to add some color and excitement to your suit, not keep everything in a drab monotone. Since it's certainly possible to mix patterns with shirts or suits, there's no reason not to make an effort. Dark and earthtone ties fall in that same realm, as do similarly colored pocket squares (the whole point of them is be bright and colorful).

Can't agree with you here. I think that the black and white ensemble is one of the few that looks good on every guy. A black suit, white shirt, and black or pewter/silver tie outfit should be in every guy's closet.

3. Military/safari gear, unless you're involved in one of the two. I find earthtones insufferably boring when overdone, and then 10 extra pockets or camouflage are of no use to you since you don't need to reach for a canteen or hide in the trees.

Again, can't agree with you here. I good part of our modern wardrobe derives directly from military gear (the peacoat) or was popularized by use by the military (the trench coat.) And if nothing else, the military surplus look is always good for a weekend or casual day.

As for raggedy clothes being unwearable, says who? Jeans, khakis, t-shirts, sneakers, and favorite sweaters always look a lot better with age.

European Interloper

Reaction score
On the 'military' note:
I don't find military or military-inspired clothing offensive in any way. Although sometimes people go over the top, often to secure their masculinity, generally an item of militaristic clothing is fine. This season is chock full of it, as was last winter. What I despise, however, is the appropriation of military stars, badges, stripes, or any other form of official military denotation. Being in the military, especially during times where war is a distinct possibility, is a very unique and distinct position. One in which you are fighting for ones country. Soldiers should be able to wear their unit's badges (etc) and have it distinguish them from a crowd. However, this is impossible if everyone in the crowd has gone to DG and bought a shirt that has a 'Rangers' badge on it's shoulder. Furthermore, rankings are achievements. Inside of the military, it is illegal to impersonate someone of a higher station. This law should apply outside, as well. To wear stars, bars, medals or insignias which you, or a close family memeber, have not earned is, in my eyes, a capital fashion sin.
European Interloper

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to always forget to post this but finally I will. The look I hate is when people wear a tie(monochromatic or some horrible concoction by Jerry Garcia et al), and a shirt(usually an entry level brand, and baggy) without a jacket, vest, or sweater. Essentially just a shirt, and a tie with bad trousers, and a pair of clunky Kenneth Cole type shoes.

This look I see alot especially at various functions as weddings, and "parties." Usually this look is sported by teens to people in their 30's.

My View

Reaction score
One of the oddest things to wear is a button-down shirt with French cuffs. Yaks.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late getting to this topic. But, why not add my say-so? Anyway, three things on my mind.

1) Lightly-tinted rimless women's sunglasses

2) "Trucker" caps (Padded fronts, mesh backs) especially worn to the side.

3) Polo collars flipped up (I'm going to continue this rant in another post, because I find it absolutely ridiculous..)

ramventure

Reaction score
My first post and I get to complain. Jolly good.
Here are a few annoyances:
1. Notch collars on dinner jackets
2. The idea that a bow tie can be replaced with anything when wearing with a dinner jacket.
3. Limp, attached wing collars with evening shirts. If you want to wear a wing collar, get a proper one.
4. Muscle shirts (undershirts, wife-beaters, et al) in public, especially public eateries.
5. Wearing hats (offenders are most commonly attired in baseball-type caps or cowboy hats) inside. Even worse, inside in the presence of ladies.
6. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets on men.
7. Piercings and tattoos on anyone not in a biker gang, on parole or working at a carnival.
8. The excess shoulder padding in many fashionable suits.
9. Big clunky shoes.
10. Socks with shorts or sandals. And sandals in any public restaurant not at a beach resort or without a "swim-up" bar and girls auditioning for the latest "Gone Wild" video.
11. Socks that allow leg to show beneath the trouser bottom - ever
12. Casual Friday
13. If you must wear cowboy boots, do not tuck your trouser legs into them.
14. Very few men can wear Speedos. You are not one of them.
15. Any visible monogram.

That's it for now. I'm sure I will think of many more things as soon as I sign off.
Russ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads