• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.deJong

Reaction score
Kmnkove.jpg

khughes44

Reaction score
@bernoulli, I believe that, at least in American English parlance, RAF blue or cadet blue describes the color of your suit more accurately - cobalt is a stronger blue, more like that of the suit which @Betelgeuse posted today.

I agree that @Alan Bee new trousers look splendid, but the fact that he's tall with long legs, and a well-developed torso may have a lot to so with it - I am not sure that I could pull off 19.5" trouser bottoms at 5'8" and my extremely late middle-age dad bod. I am curious, though, about the braces shown in the photos - buttons on the back, but clips in the front - were they the property of the tailor, and used for fittings, or are they the style of braces intended for use with the trousers as made?

UC...if Alan’s 19.5” leg opening is proportional to the length of his shoe, do you think one could extrapolate one’s ideal leg opening from his shoe size? How can one come to the ideal leg opening without endless and expensive trial and error? Is there a formula?

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That I can't help you with. In fact there is an interesting story about this suit. It is one of 3 suits I had made at WW Chan from old fabric stock. You know how tailors have a bunch of rolls of fabric laying around? This was 10 years old (with a 10-year old price on it). I asked if WW Chan would honor their old price tag and they begrudgingly said yes. Flip side? No tag on cloth maker! Most likely high-end English fabric (weight, style etc) but could be Italian or even Chinese (unlikely, given the price range) for all I know. From time to time I have seen suits in a similar color scheme (Massimo Dutti comes to mind), but this one was not OTR, I am afraid.

Where can I purchase a RAF blue suit OTR? I always thought colbolt was more or less a tacky shade of blue.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While some complained about the tie, I think it works very well precisely because it is close in color to trousers. It creates an interesting line and contrast from the bold jacket and blue shirt. It makes for an unique look that complements the boldness of the jacket. So A+ all around from me.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eventually it seems like almost everyone posts a picture wearing a blue blazer and khaki trousers, but how many people post pictures wearing a blue blazer and khaki trousers and standing next to a locomotive?

IMG_2836.jpeg

Brooks Brothers blue blazer, PPBD shirt, tie, and pocket square, Orvis trousers and Allen-Edmonds saddle shoes.

For those who may be wondering how long I've worn blue blazers and khaki trousers and taken pictures standing next to locomotives at the place I still call Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal, here I am doing it when Kennedy was President.

img060.jpeg

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures and for those who may be wondering why I was standing next to a locomotive again this morning, was on the way to the Paris In A Cup Tea Salon in Orange CA.

(Also went to the Hilbert Museum while I was in Orange.)

IMG_2843.jpeg

psb

Reaction score
Its rainy and cold weather today, but the walk between breakfast and lunch is mandatory, so heavy tweed, robust shoes and an umbrella make it possible.

Details:

Jacket, vest and cap : Highmoor
Tie : Ascot
PS: noname tweed
Trousers: Barbour
Shoes: Heinrich Dinkelacker made from water buffalo leather
Umbrella: Oertel handmade classic

+++1.JPG
+++2.JPG
+++3.JPG
+++4.JPG
+++5.JPG

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ViolaCaruso-01.jpg
ViolaCaruso-02.jpg
ViolaCaruso-03.jpg

Suit: Caruso
Shirt: Zegna Couture
Tie: Viola Milano
PS: Kydos
Shoes: Lobb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads