• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post some fits

From monday

3d0c42da80f4e1ea1d39c86717ca0cbd61109b60.jpg

e668e9e4b5d5d56a827fe613d9736e38566be40c.jpg

d6ea3da4c674cd125bfd640f2e1ac295efbe8d6e.jpg

Today

650e4537408f889c06c8445db0c77eb8d62e8baa.jpg

fa570989334a2d12f73230a6df5f5f1b2e99c844.jpg

More good stuff B!
I saw some similar chukkas in Meermin and I’ve been contemplating them but not sure how much use I’d get from them.
I also have similar orange / rust strides, I wear mine with similar chunky longwings in burgundy.

Keep ‘em coming!

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BelvestHober-01.jpg
BelvestHober-02.jpg
BelvestHober-03.jpg
BelvestHober-04.jpg

Summer evening mood.

Suit: Belvest
Shirt: Bespoke (Götrich 1730)
Tie: Sam Hober
PS: Vanda
Shoes: EG
Shades: Garrett Leight

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More good stuff B!
I saw some similar chukkas in Meermin and I’ve been contemplating them but not sure how much use I’d get from them.
I also have similar orange / rust strides, I wear mine with similar chunky longwings in burgundy.

Keep ‘em coming!
Thanks TWD! Get those chukkas, they are very versatile

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am relieved by your acknowledgment that I indeed attempted to start a debate and not simply defend my fit.

If you want to debate with me, please be reassured that my goal will be to converge to precise statements regarding menswear, and nothing more. I have no intention to troll because I share, as do others, an immense respect for you.

On my original proposition, I feel that the forum can provide a lot of value to its members if we can clarify the distinction between what is objectively wrong, what is aesthetically displeasing, and what is idiosyncratic. Our disagreement comes, and you can correct me if I am wrong, from you declaring it objectively wrong instead of putting into the more sensible aesthetically displeasing category.

You are correct that my style is idiosyncratic. I am also non-conformist (to a degree). So that all plays into my wardrobe decisions. If I can tastefully break the rules I will, more often than not, do it. I have my own approach, which can certainly be improved. The fit is simply the outcome of my decision-making process. Feel free to criticize everything about my fits in a manner as curt as you see fit (nobody here can be more nasty than reviewer #2 on an academic paper). But I feel that without you understanding a bit where I come from we end up talking past each other.

As for Naples, there is nothing wrong with the city per se. It is all about opportunity costs and distinct sets of preferences. Anytime one travels to a place it is missing on the opportunity of going anywhere else. Naples is a great city, and I love Italy so much that I plan to retire there. But as I joked with a friend, it will take me 40 years going to the country 3 times a year to start getting to know all its cool places.

If I am not mistaken, we are both in Finance. I am in academia and you are in industry. We both seem to be successful. But I chose academia for the freedom it gives me. I spend a sizable chunk of the year traveling, as I can write anywhere. In a world where fun places are infinite, any city has to be truly special for me to continuously come back to it. Naples does not fall into that category for me. But I wrote the original paragraph a bit tongue-in-cheek. I do hope you enjoyed everything that Naples has to offer besides its awesome tailoring services.
@bernoulli

Thank you for a very thoughtful response. I will say again, you seem the type I'd love more than anything to engage over a cigar and a glass of choice beverage. But shall we leave that for when I'm back in NYC? (where I presume you live).

Now, group-hug everyone?? And do smile for the camera :-D @DiplomaticTies @themanfromLisbon @DonCologne @1st Step @Michael81 and all other contributors to @themanfromLisbon (admitted & acquitted) gaffe.

@bernoulli
Sir, may I call you Ben? I am not going to test the debating skills of an academic, that's a 99-1 odds (loosing) bet. But what I'm going to attempt to do (over the coming fit entries) is show by example why "Full Cut, High Rise" trousers flatter almost everyone, from the short and wiry, to the tall and girthy.

Dress has always been about proportion and bio-mechanics of the human body - Male in this instance. The human body hasn't changed since the invention of the lounge suit (and proper trousers that go with it). @themanfromLisbon may derisively refer to them as "dead mens clothes" but theres a reason why they were invented that way in the first place. What is fashionable is almost in fact never what is right. Fashion (like skinny pants strangled at the ankles) is almost always rebellion just for the sake of it. So yes, do wear your Italian drain pipes all you like but I would wager you are shortchanging yourself (stylistically at least).

There are reasons why "rules" and "theories" exist. Of course dress rules aren't quite maxims in the same way that say, E=mc2, and do not imply forfeiture of artistic or creative license. But you also enjoy that franchise of liberty at the risk of coming out looking foolish if you don't know, or fail to acknowledge rules. What was it they said about liberty again??

"Eternal Vigilance is the price of Liberty"

Alan Bee

Last edited:

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm not going to test the debating skills of an academic" *immediately launches into a debate with an academic*

In all seriousness, though, Alan, I think you've made your preference quite clear. There's really no need to harp on about it. And to be clear, it is a preference.

The only thing we can objectively say in this discussion, is that it is objectively true that clothes respond differently to different body types. It is objectively true that Bernouli's trousers drape a hell of a lot better than any of my own experiments with slim trousers, for example. And as you may recall, I am also fairly tall and slim. However, like you, my exercise routine includes a lot of deadlifting and squatting, with the obvious result being that slim fitting trousers drape poorly and look out of proportion. But that is not the case at all with Bernouli's trousers. Would a fuller trouser achieve a more pronounced drape in his case? Yes. But if he considers the drape and fit of the current example under the microscope satisfactory, who are you to tell him otherwise? He's a seasoned dresser with his own preferences. You have good taste, but that does not make you the sole arbiter of good taste.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm not going to test the debating skills of an academic" *immediately launches into a debate with an academic*

In all seriousness, though, Alan, I think you've made your preference quite clear. There's really no need to harp on about it. And to be clear, it is a preference.

The only thing we can objectively say in this discussion, is that it is objectively true that clothes respond differently to different body types. It is objectively true that Bernouli's trousers drape a hell of a lot better than any of my own experiments with slim trousers, for example. And as you may recall, I am also fairly tall and slim. However, like you, my exercise routine includes a lot of deadlifting and squatting, with the obvious result being that slim fitting trousers drape poorly and look out of proportion. But that is not the case at all with Bernouli's trousers. Would a fuller trouser achieve a more pronounced drape in his case? Yes. But if he considers the drape and fit of the current example under the microscope satisfactory, who are you to tell him otherwise? He's a seasoned dresser with his own preferences. You have good taste, but that does not make you the sole arbiter of good taste.

How is it these Europeans still do not understand naked irony? :hide:

Alan Bee

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try being more self aware before working up your way to irony.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try being more self aware before working up your way to irony.

Why do I always feel like Attila the Hun after an exchange with you Michael? I thought we buried the hatchet what, about a year ago? :rolleyes2:

Lighten up man ....

Alan Bee

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You obviously missed the lighthearted tone of that jab, Alan. Maybe you should take your own advice. At the very least you could have read the rest of my post before jumping to conclusions. The very next sentence began with "In all seriousness". This suggests that the preceding sentence was not to be taken seriously.

Jokes are a lot less funny when you have to explain them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads