• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imo the pant width is fine, but I'd widen the cuffs and wear darker shoes.
@emptym

As in “widen the hem without widening the knee and give him a flared cut”?

I disagree. The trousers need more fullness from the thighs through the knees to the hem. That way it falls in a straight line and drapes properly. And more importantly, flatter the mans height. He’s very tall and can carry full cut trousers with amazing elegance and grace.

I keep pointing to this guy as a prime example of how a tall man should carry his dress

C52449C8-371A-4201-8CCC-2885ED8DE4D8.jpeg
22C51AD1-D59B-4A4B-BD28-5BEFAB8DF821.jpeg

Alan Bee

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me disagreeing with you here. I am tall (6'5"), my trousers are slim (almost skinny), and I feel they drape perfectly. I do have a couple of "full" trousers but feel they are baggy (and they are almost the same as in the admittedly great example you posted), so much prefer the slim ones. It is all about getting the right cut. Slim or full comes down to preference, and cannot be objectively ranked.

Here is a proposition that I could get behind and is more in line with your view: between badly cut full vs slim trousers, fullness is preferable.

@emptym

I disagree. The trousers need more fullness from the thighs through the knees to the hem. That way it falls in a straight line and drapes properly. And more importantly, flatter the mans height. He’s very tall and can carry full cut trousers with amazing elegance and grace.

I keep pointing to this guy as a prime example of how a tall man should carry his dress

View attachment 1225499 View attachment 1225500

Alan Bee

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@An Acute Style

I beg to differ. Gentlemen, I keep saying trousers trousers trousers. They can rubbish and excellent coat ...

The man is very tall. He looks like he’s standing on “stilts”

Fuller trousers ....

Alan Bee
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Feel free to beg. The pants drape nicely and there is no appearance of tightness. He’s a slim guy. We don’t all lift.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re very much getting me in the mood for the holidays and the binging on tartans that will ensue

Did someone say something about holidays and tartans? Santa and I will think about that.

SS_Westside Pavili_20151124_000003_P.jpeg

We're waiting for someone to say something about Fair Isle socks.

emptym

Reaction score
@emptym

View attachment 1225499 View attachment 1225500

Alan Bee
No, just the cuff. They looked like they were about 1.5" and I'd go the full 2". But now that Bernoulli has let us know that he's 6'5", maybe they are 2".

Generally, I too prefer a slightly fuller pant, but I think all kinds can look good.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did someone say something about holidays and tartans? Santa and I will think about that.

View attachment 1225619

We're waiting for someone to say something about Fair Isle socks.

My first thought was “I NEED those socks”. Followed very quickly by the same thought about those pants- what tartan are those? It looks familiar

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are 2". I have some trousers with 3" and even 4" (for fun but I may ask the tailor to take it to 3").

No, just the cuff. They looked like they were about 1.5" and I'd go the full 2". But now that Bernoulli has let us know that he's 6'5", maybe they are 2".

Generally I too prefer a slightly fuller pant, but I think all kinds can look good.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back after a two-day hiatus, with moderating temperatures and reduced chance of rain. Today's choice of footwear was determined by the fact that there is a "meet and greet" for Kirby Allison at the Carmina shop near Grand Central early this evening, and I thought it politic to wear something from the shop itself.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Trywhitt
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - a craft fair outside of Nuestra Senora del Pilar, the Recoleta, Buenos Aires
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Carmina

View attachment 1224024

That's A Really Nice Suit! :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Nights.....

Went to Diehl Marcus & Co in East Hollywood tonight to hear Craig Owens (he's on the right in this picture) "Haunted Los Angeles" presentation.

IMG_2120.jpeg

Brooks Brothers "Golden Fleece" silk and wool blend jacket, ecru PPBD shirt, and (pre OPH) white cotton and polyester blend trousers, Bow Tie Club tie, generic pocket square, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

Here's Craig doing his "Haunted Los Angeles" presentation.

IMG_2124.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction: One more picture from tonight where my shoes show better.

IMG_2123.jpeg

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
@samtalkstyle

Sam, you should stop wearing those types of trousers. Not only do they accentuate your knock knees (I have them too), they also draw attention to your “top heaviness”

Try something more like this (your own fit)
/img

I agree, and am planning to replace the more tapered trousers in my wardrobe with some fuller legs. I'm still adjusting to not having the sight of a taper hugging the natural line of my ankle at the opening, but I do much prefer the proportion a fuller cut gives to my legs. I enjoy the feeling of the fabric moving with my step too.

The ones in my last post are probably the most tapered that I own, and I don't think I will be wearing them again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads