• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree these trousers are suboptimal. But in many, if not most cases this is a function of availability, not preference.
@Michael81

That doesn’t look like a Ready to wear jacket to my eye. The fit is impeccable. I wonder how the tailor let him walk out with those trousers.

Again, most tailors (especially Neapolitan) consider themselves coatmakers and see trouser making as beneath them.

I have come to appreciate the importance of trousers and how they can make or mar an outfit.

Alan Bee

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we can leave it up to the OP to clarify.

I agree, a poorly proportioned and overly tight trouser can ruin an otherwise good fit. It is a shame modern preferences skew so heavily in that direction.

SLester

Reaction score
@SLester

Here’s a prime example of an extremely beautiful jacket let down by poor trousers.

Those trousers don’t belong to that coat. The imbalance is glaring. That coat (full cut) deserves fuller trousers and not stove pipes. See how the shoes stick out from the bottom of the trousers like an extension of the body. That shouldn’t be so.

For a moment, I thought you were Connor McGregor who wears his suits “tight”

Alan Bee

Hey. Thank you for your feedback. In this instance, you are mistaken about the suit, it is OTR SUSU, who as you most likely know, cut their trousers tight, tighter than I would have liked as well. I do believe that these pictures make them look tighter than they indeed are, let me see if I can post some others that show them better and maybe get an opinion on what if anything can be done to improve the fit :)

I get the Connor McGregor thing a lot, having a lot of tattoos doesn't particularly help in that department either.

SLester

Reaction score
Sorry fro the weird crease/wrinkle in the first picture - as I said I would love to hear what if any alterations you think could be made

IMG_4258.jpeg
IMG_4254.jpeg

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry fro the weird crease/wrinkle in the first picture - as I said I would love to hear what if any alterations you think could be made

View attachment 1222655 View attachment 1222654 View attachment 1222653
@SLester

I have to say the trouser on its own (going by later photos doesn't seem so bad).

1. It is very tight in the seat (for sure).
2. Both the front rise as well as back rise are wayyyy too short. Theres really nothing to be done here. You can't increase the rise on the pants.
3. The side profile doesn't look so bad with the jacket on. I like the straight leg cut but would be nicer if fuller. See the gap between your jacket vents and the trousers? A fuller cut trouser will take care of that. A proper silhouette should see a seamless transition from coat to pants. Right now, it looks a little bit "Christmas Tree" like.

I can't see any alterations that can fix the first 2 issues. I would just lengthen the trousers about a half inch (or so) and wear them like that. I might also widen the pants in the thigh/seat if you have any fabric inlay left in there. This won't resolve the shortness of the rise tho.

I am absolutely stunned you can get such a fit in the jacket off the rack. Really very good fit ...

Alan Bee

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
@themanfromLisbon

Sorry Vic but you’re dead, dead wrong. Proportions are vital to fit. The human body hasn’t changed as far as I recall.

Wear your stove pipes if you like but that doesn’t make them aesthetically flattering.

Alan Bee

Alan, I don’t know if you have noticed, but I refer that I don’t like trousers too tight, as I don’t like them too large. I’ve a slim body and large pants would not fit me good at all. I think in the middle is the virtue,in my case, due to the structure of my body, a bit more slim that’s what makes me feel comfortable.

Vic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads