• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ctrl+Alt+Del …

Suit: Epaulet
Shirt: Proper Cloth
Tie: Oxford Rowe
Square: Drakes
Shoes: Carmina

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9030.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely, but really wish the lapels were wider.
? Yeah, me too. I also wish there was more tie space. It’s a stock pattern, so not much customization. It was actually made by mistake (wrong cloth), so got it for a steal. I definitely want a couple more DB suits, so will probably try KW next for that. I think their pattern is more classic. ?

Epicure

Reaction score
Today. I usually leave the top button of my cardigan undone, as per SF convention. I was feeling it all the way up today. I may be wrong, but everything else about the outfit felt casual enough, and I felt at ease, without getting any more louche.
20190813_100454.jpg

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
@samtalkstyle I like the sweater, but I'd skip the tie with it. And if it must remain, then use 4-in-hand knot.

Will go for the 4 in hand next time. The shirt is cheap quality and I hate what the collar does when unbuttoned, so I always wear it under a sweater and with a tie.

You might consider trousers with less taper and a fuller cut. Something with an athletic cut. See how they are pulling in several spots. I like the sweater and shoes.

I think I've gone a size up in trousers since purchasing these last year, will look at replacing them when funds allow. I do have another pair of better fitting chinos in a lighter shade I could have put on instead, but they are too thin for the winter weather.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blekit
Today, we use slim trousers (well, let,s not exaggerate). When one of my friends of the old school that show me photos of Cary Grant or Fred Astaire I use to say: “Yes, they were sharp, weren’t they?. But they are dead. Only dead bodies used that kind of trousers”.

Cheers

Vic
@themanfromLisbon

Sorry Vic but you’re dead, dead wrong. Proportions are vital to fit. The human body hasn’t changed as far as I recall.

Wear your stove pipes if you like but that doesn’t make them aesthetically flattering.

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SLester

Here’s a prime example of an extremely beautiful jacket let down by poor trousers.

Those trousers don’t belong to that coat. The imbalance is glaring. That coat (full cut) deserves fuller trousers and not stove pipes. See how the shoes stick out from the bottom of the trousers like an extension of the body. That shouldn’t be so.

For a moment, I thought you were Connor McGregor who wears his suits “tight”

Alan Bee

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
@themanfromLisbon

Sorry Vic but you’re dead, dead wrong. Proportions are vital to fit. The human body hasn’t changed as far as I recall.

Wear your stove pipes if you like but that doesn’t make them aesthetically flattering.

Alan Bee
[/QUO

Dear Alan

My point of vie is that in every way, we must evolve. You may like a lot of Mona Lisa, but you may prefer Degas. The way to dress is a dynamic thing didn’t stop at the first half of the XX century. I’m not a fan of skinny pants, but also I don’t see me using those large pants. See that Charles of England, and example of how to dress well, has changed the cut of his suits

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads