• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious - is the shirt you're wearing in the photos seersucker? An interesting choice, as it's winter in Oz, though you make it work. The blazer is stellar, as is the quality of the photos, and the background - Victorian Moorish interior - a hotel, perhaps? A great posting, as usual.
Yes, good eye - it is seersucker. I’m in Spain at the moment, so neck deep in hot, humid weather. Thanks for the kind words about the photos - they were taken in the historic Spanish apartments we are lucky enough to be staying in.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I will take the advice of trying a couple sizes up on board and see how I go. I have always been drawn toward tight fits to hide the excess skin from weight loss that I am super self conscious about. The thought of having larger sizes always set off those 'you'll look fat like you used to' alarm bells. Residual fears from being 150+kg for too long and not wanting to look like it again.

I'll only break that thought pattern by letting myself try on a larger size. When my bespoke suit is ready I'll have a good picture of what to aspire to in my future shopping.

I'm a bigger built guy and I have had the same problems. I would recommend staying away from thrifting until you're comfortable with your sizing. The temptation is always there to put a bargain ahead of the right clothing. This is something I've done consistently for many years! Out of interest, what size are you?

I'm taking Alan Bee's advice, have a meeting coming up with a local(ish) tailor and about to find out what clothing should feel like on me!!! Best of luck

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I'm a bigger built guy and I have had the same problems. I would recommend staying away from thrifting until you're comfortable with your sizing. The temptation is always there to put a bargain ahead of the right clothing. This is something I've done consistently for many years! Out of interest, what size are you?

For pants I have to buy a 104 to accommodate my quads and get the waist taken in. Actual waist size is somewhere around the 36" mark.
In jackets I have recently been told I will need a 116 to accommodate the chest. I'd been buying 104-108... time to sell off the jacket collection.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Gentlemen what is your opinion on the fit of this coat? If it is worth altering, what should be altered?
Excuse the runaway pocket square.

1219814-e175b0cc69ad9d49ef194da20685b85f.jpg

1219815-6ad48a9f3a0c14e0d20fa3cb359d0026.jpg

zr3rs

Reaction score
Gentlemen what is your opinion on the fit of this coat? If it is worth altering, what should be altered?
Excuse the runaway pocket square.
Unless you have a very good tailor and this is a cashmere bespoke piece, I would not alter anything. Right shoulder looks a bit weird, but it is hard to say whether a tailor can improve that significantly. Otherwise fine as far as I can tell.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, good eye - it is seersucker. I’m in Spain at the moment, so neck deep in hot, humid weather. Thanks for the kind words about the photos - they were taken in the historic Spanish apartments we are lucky enough to be staying in.

Ah, that explains the summer wardrobe - you're in the Northern Hemisphere - more than likely someplace in Andalucia, judging from the architecture, and yes, if those are your accommodations, you are lucky indeed.

The sun has returned to NYC, and with it a lowering of the humidity, after some torrential thunderstorms yesterday evening. It is now safe, allegedly, to dress up a bit.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie, trousers, and shoes - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - no name brand
Cufflinks - Budd, London
Hat - Peter Grimm

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
36F43BD5-2464-453C-9AF9-D14D60551F20.jpeg

Me on the way home last night. Climate change's impact on our region means more short, intense cloudbursts rather than gentle rain. Too warm for a raincoat but the rain and hail basically blew in sideways. Soaked from the chin down!

Seersucker suit, linen shirt and umbrella all from Kent Wang. Tie is Bigi from NMWA.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done! I saw the green suits at Drake's this season. Didn't think I could pull them off but you certainly can. Is that one NMWA?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads