• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket: Cavaliere Sweden Brown Checks S120 Wool (Got it yesterday, need to tailor sleeves)

Before you tailor the jacket, consider whether you should keep it at all. Pattern/fabric looks nice, and it's hard to say if the rest of it fits you based on the photo, but it definitely looks too short with the buttoning point too high. The lower rise of the trousers isn't helping, but even with a higher rise I still think the jacket is likely out of whack for you. Do they make a long or have you tried sizing up?

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Before you tailor the jacket, consider whether you should keep it at all. Pattern/fabric looks nice, and it's hard to say if the rest of it fits you based on the photo, but it definitely looks too short with the buttoning point too high. The lower rise of the trousers isn't helping, but even with a higher rise I still think the jacket is likely out of whack for you. Do they make a long or have you tried sizing up?

Honestly, it fits fine for me. I can see what you mean with the buttons but I feel it works well for this kind of jacket. I am pretty happy with it.

Opinion and suggestions respected of course, but I will keep it :)

Thomson

Reaction score
Button down collar with a cashmere or silk knit tie.

Well, yes. I guess I was reacting to the statement that a spread collar is offensive in combination with a tweed jacket and can’t think of an alternative which isn’t a button-down.

Think it depends on the fabric of the shirt as well, if not more. See example of a spread collar in combination with tweed, courtesy of Marol (hope it is ok to post).

3208E951-639E-45FE-970A-0951C85F38FC.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OOTD :)

Jacket: Cavaliere Sweden Brown Checks S120 Wool (Got it yesterday, need to tailor sleeves)
Pants: Matinique Grey Melange Wool
Shirt: John Henric Sweden Light Blue
Tie: Brothers Sverige Grenadine Navy
Pocket Square: Granqvist Sweden Vintage Silk
Shoes: Carlos Santos Lace-Up Boots in Coimbra Patina
View attachment 1121607

A white linen pocket square would've been the better choice.

I think the outfit looks good on his frame. If he was on the heavier side or had prominent hips the jacket wouldn't look as good but I think he pulls off the look.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, yes. I guess I was reacting to the statement that a spread collar is offensive in combination with a tweed jacket and can’t think of an alternative which isn’t a button-down.

Think it depends on the fabric of the shirt as well, if not more. See example of a spread collar in combination with tweed, courtesy of Marol (hope it is ok to post).

View attachment 1121652

Outfit looks good, but the shirt and tie seem a bit too formal for the jacket. Maybe switch out the shirt for an oxford or chambray, and a knit tie for the win?

I've already commented on his selection for fabric.

useless_username

Reaction score

View attachment 1121652

It's absolutely fine to combine a spread collar with a tweed coat. Especially if wearing a tie.

Wearing a button-down collar and a tie is a very American look and I always wince when it's recommended on this (very American) forum. Nothing wrong with that, if that's your cup of tea. But in the rest of the world the button-down might be seen as a faux pas. By some people. Snobs and such. Not me of course. Oh no.

Thomson

Reaction score
Wearing a button-down collar and a tie is a very American look.......

...... Snobs and such. Not me of course. Oh no.

My thought exactly. I have tried it and come to the conclusion that I only like it once in a while. I positively dislike patterned button-down dress shirts.

Snobs? Here? Never.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This evening, I am attending some sort of gathering at the Frick - something they have termed an "open house", which, I believe, will be a very soft-sell occasion for the museum to raise money for its extensive renovations program due to start next year sometime. We shall see.

In the interim, one should look the part of a museum patron - at least until someone asks for money :).

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Drake's (more swag from the latest trip to London)
Vintage watch chain
Cufflinks - Niletti Creations, NYC
Braces - Albert Thurston, via New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson (again, more swag from the latest trip to London)
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

View attachment 1121437

View attachment 1121432 View attachment 1121433 View attachment 1121434 View attachment 1121435 View attachment 1121436
"Panhandling", It's all the same, and - dressed like that, you're dressed for "Donations" and please carry some ones! :bigstar:

"Panhandling", It's all the same, and - dressed like that, you're dressed for "Donations" and please carry some ones! :bigstar:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads