• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hgbhering

Reaction score
I say this because in this fraternity we care and look out for each other. Listen to @An Acute Style . That tie needs to go. Sacrifice it to the style gods. Muito rapido. :nodding:
Yes, I've seen it. We are all orphans here for sure. Lol. If I had that same urge I wouldn't find the time to do anything else. I see bizarre socks everyday combined with paisley, velvet, sharkskin. But do I act like a mr-know-it-all? Sometimes is just a matter of personal taste. Gluck auch. Auf Wiederschauen.

Last edited:

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
9E2971AD-0A0A-44DD-A06A-4A5DCB9171B4.jpeg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen it. We are all orphans here for sure. Lol. If I had that same urge I wouldn't find the time to do anything else. I see bizarre socks everyday combined with paisley, velvet, sharkskin. But do I act like a mr-know-it-all? Sometimes is just a matter of personal taste. Gluck auch. Auf Wiederschauen.

I hear ya. But dude, socks are largely invisible. Ties are front and center and can be a massive distraction / detraction. Vai Mengão!

IEG

Reaction score
Hey brutha, I get hammered on here all of the time and @Veremund has been one to give me some serious critical advice. I have posted pics that I thought I looked excellent and been beaten up a bit, so you are correct it is a matter of taste for sure. I like wearing jeans and a SC or a tie with jeans and get nixed on SF for it but that is cool. And like you said, I see people in fits on here that I wouldn't come close to wearing and everyone seems to love them????? That said there are a few folks on here that will give you good solid advice, @Veremund is one and @An Acute Style is another. I posted a pic a while back with a tie from way back that I used to love, I must have been looking at it with those 20 year old eyes because after I posted it they were all over me and after a bit I realized, you know what they were right, that tie I was wearing was ugly! I am like you, I don't comment on the negative when I see something I don't like I usually just mention if I like it, I leave the criticism to others. Just be prepared, if you don't post any pics you are in the clear but if you do post, you have to take the good with the bad. I still post stuff on here and I think, "man they are gonna love this," and I barely get any action, go figure??? But I keep at it because it is wicked fun!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey brutha, I get hammered on here all of the time and @Veremund has been one to give me some serious critical advice. I have posted pics that I thought I looked excellent and been beaten up a bit, so you are correct it is a matter of taste for sure. I like wearing jeans and a SC or a tie with jeans and get nixed on SF for it but that is cool. And like you said, I see people in fits on here that I wouldn't come close to wearing and everyone seems to love them????? That said there are a few folks on here that will give you good solid advice, @Veremund is one and @An Acute Style is another. I posted a pic a while back with a tie from way back that I used to love, I must have been looking at it with those 20 year old eyes because after I posted it they were all over me and after a bit I realized, you know what they were right, that tie I was wearing was ugly! I am like you, I don't comment on the negative when I see something I don't like I usually just mention if I like it, I leave the criticism to others. Just be prepared, if you don't post any pics you are in the clear but if you do post, you have to take the good with the bad. I still post stuff on here and I think, "man they are gonna love this," and I barely get any action, go figure??? But I keep at it because it is wicked fun!

That is a very positive attitude, sir!

Like you, I sometimes struggle to see the beauty in an outfit that receives 35 'likes' where when one receives a small handful it can leave me confused because, to my eyes, it looks at least very good, if not great...

Once, shortly after I joined another forum (not SF) I noted regular posters talking very large about a particular look (Trad, I recall) and I naively asked why it was not good enough just to be 'well-dressed'. There was a long silence, while each looked to the other as to what view they should take, and then someone tentatively replied along the lines of '...well, we like a certain look...' And my eyes were opened.

So, it is still. Therefore, please don't discard too hastily your favourite 20-year-old ties. After all, just across the way on the SW&D board there is a dedicated thread to the worship of 1980s Armani and other similar styles. And don't try too hard to figure it out.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuesday, and continued sunny in NYC albeit a little cooler, hence the hat.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Crockett & Jones
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_7839.JPG

IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7836.JPG
IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like you, I sometimes struggle to see the beauty in an outfit that receives 35 'likes' where when one receives a small handful it can leave me confused because, to my eyes, it looks at least very good, if not great...

Once, shortly after I joined another forum (not SF) I noted regular posters talking very large about a particular look (Trad, I recall) and I naively asked why it was not good enough just to be 'well-dressed'. There was a long silence, while each looked to the other as to what view they should take, and then someone tentatively replied along the lines of '...well, we like a certain look...' And my eyes were opened.

So, it is still. Therefore, please don't discard too hastily your favourite 20-year-old ties. After all, just across the way on the SW&D board there is a dedicated thread to the worship of 1980s Armani and other similar styles. And don't try too hard to figure it out.

I think it's also important to be honest with yourself about your motive for posting. Are you looking for constructive feedback? Because you will probably get it. If you are looking for affirmation that what you're wearing is awesome, be prepared for the chance few others will like it.

As Mr K pointed out, sometimes you'll post a fit that you enjoy, and it garners little attention. I'm always hopeful for some constructive criticism, and it's nice when the senior members offer it.

IEG

Reaction score

All very good @Mr Knightley I agree totally. That said I do like some of my older ties that the brethren on here do no but, the tie in questions is really ugly! I will post some more vintage looks to see what the reaction is?

hgbhering

Reaction score

If you like it, like. If you don't, don't press the button. I've seen one of the most stylish members of this board wearing a suit MTM with the sloppiest shoulders ever, and yet I haven't seen one bad review on the matter. And although it was bizarre, it was a very nice suit beside it's flaws. Sometimes I see an awful suit, but I like the tie, and then I like the post; sometimes it's the tie I don't like, but I like the suit. People often judge the user and not the outfit.

Reactions: IEG

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like it, like. If you don't, don't press the button. I've seen one of the most stylish members of this board wearing a suit MTM with the sloppiest shoulders ever, and yet I haven't seen one bad review on the matter. And although it was bizarre, it was a very nice suit beside it's flaws. Sometimes I see an awful suit, but I like the tie, and then I like the post; sometimes it's the tie I don't like, but I like the suit. People often judge the user and not the outfit.
Different memebers use this thread in different ways. Some hope to learn to dress “better” based on the ideals of the thread. Out of curiosity, what is your reason for posting? You did not receive any likes on your last two posts. Are you interested in finding out why? Please feel free to let me know how I can improve my outfits. I may not agree with you all the time, but I am open to conversation and willing to learn from others.

The J

Reaction score
Thank you! The tie is from a Polish brand called Embassy of Elegance and I like it a lot. If I remember correctly a year or two ago many brands (Viola Milano, Vanda Fine Clothing, Shibumi) had ties from the same striped grenadine fabric.

I thought the shade of brown and blue used in this one was really amazing. Hits the right spot for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads