• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I am afraid I don't really like the combination.

I'm wondering whether to try with dark brown or olive green (even navy) trousers perhaps. It's somehow a relatively 'warm' grey, which is more noticeable when put against other grey shades. Hard to pair (although a very comfortable jacket with a lovely handle).

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy days in Old Roy Al castle as workers returned and still an other time turned my little world up side down. The Lord must be angry with me...
Just some few pics in a hurry after the mandatory rounds in the runningwheel.

P9140091.JPG

P9140084.JPG
P9140086.JPG
P9140079.JPG
P9140065.JPG
P9140061.JPG

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I have visited this forum.

Thought I'd post a super high resolution pic from pre-labor day...give you gentleman and idea of what my wardrobe has been up to.

New suit arrived earlier this summer - W. Bill Cream Irish Linen 3r2 with patch pockets and barchetta and MOP buttons. Also featuring some Vanda accessories and suede tasseks.

Cream Linen.jpg

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice @PCK1 I certainly couldn't wear such a light colored suit - I would spend the better part of the day worrying about stains, which would leave me being overly conscious of my surroundings all the time!

gijsbertus3000

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether to try with dark brown or olive green (even navy) trousers perhaps. It's somehow a relatively 'warm' grey, which is more noticeable when put against other grey shades. Hard to pair (although a very comfortable jacket with a lovely handle).

So assuming you want to combine with a darker and not a lighter color, I think all colors you suggest might work.
Green I find is a most versatile color, certainly a 'softer' green such as olive green. So I am with you here: a darker olive green would be a nice experiment.

Darker brown? Unless they are part of a suit I am struggling with brown trousers all the time. Somehow brown trousers distract me, invariably drawing my attention to the legs. And that should not be so, because to my mind all pieces of clothing one is wearing should form a whole, a symphony, not standing in the way of the human being wearing them, the conversation going on, nor the occasion at and for which they are worn. (Only the accessories can be a bit of a dissonant, folly or distraction. 'Can', not should).

May be a very dark chocolate could work, though. Or a darker tobacco. Come to think of it however, a kobicha brown perhaps can work very well too. I have seen people wearing it and liked it. But that was with a pale blue blazer.

Navy blue too is a versatile color. But it is not a terribly warm color, I think. It could work, if you want to create an interesting contrast between warm and not that warm. But if it truly will work depends on the kind of navy blue you will choose. Perhaps especially the deeper, richer navy blues, like Space Cadet might turn out well.

In the end it is all a matter of finding the right contrast, I assume.

In that respect the fabric will be very important too. Especially texture. If only because it will have quite some impact on how the chosen color will perform.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had a final fitting with Cad & the Dandy today. I liked it as this, so I took it home:

image.jpeg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing in front of the totally non-functional "gates" to Bel Air on the corner of Bellagio Road and Moraga Drive and once again showing how almost everything around here is just an illusion.

P1100037 2.jpg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, generic pocket square, Polo Ralph Lauren tie, Faconnable tattersall OCBD shirt, Vineyard Vines belt, L L Bean cord trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

A Piece-Of-A-Person (with ginger scone) picture.

P1100034 2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads