• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
You're very fortunate to have so many opportunities to thrift. It's completely out of the question in Finland. Having said that, as nice as that jacket is, I would have passed on it. It's clearly intended to be worn with matching trousers and looks jarringly out of place as a separate.

It's cool that you're enthusiastic about #wardrobebuilding and all, but you do yourself a disservice by buying sub-optimal pieces just because they are cheap and available. @SprezzaTrash is also an inveterate thrifter, but he much more selective in what he buys - and it shows in his fits. It's always better to have a smaller wardrobe filled with great items than a larger one filled with mediocre ones.

I feel like we've had this conversation before.

And I do completely agree with your statement. I've been very selective now when it comes to thrifting, and as hard as it was passing on items that were "cool and cheap", I've been trying very hard to show some restraint in the past months and I do know that a smaller closet with better pieces will go a long way. Your reply couldn't be further from the truth. In all honesty, right now I have a stupidly huge closet of sub-par pieces that I either need to get rid off or re-donate to thrift stores. In regards to the jacket, it's been a long time now since I've thrifted this jacket and back then I didn't know any better. I know that some people had said that it shouldn't worn by itself as it looks off. Quite frankly, I don't wear it as much as I used to anymore because of this. It will most probably get re-donated along with several other pieces in the next coming months. I really appreciate the advice hey.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_4635.JPG

Another sweltering day out there. Deployed Panama Hat as well. Wonder how long we can stretch summer suits into the fall?

Suit: D'Avenza
Tie: Geoff Nicholson (my only tie from that brand. From small menswear store in Maryland long since closed)
Shirt: Ledbury

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am always inspired by @upr_crust and his ability to refresh and update older pieces in his wardrobe to great effect.

Yesterday I wore this five year-old suit, just back from having some minor alterations aimed at slimming it a little. The 2008 shoes are on their second outing since coming back from the Loake factory after a refurbishment. I am especially pleased with the latter work. The PS dates from around 1988.

J1 Princes Trust pose.jpg

J1 Princes Kew.jpg

J1 Princes Trust close up.jpg

Suit - Jasper Conran
Shirt - Harvie & Hudson
Tie - from the Prince's Trust Tomorrow's store
PS - Tie Rack
Socks - Filo Scozia OTC
Shoes - Loake Kew

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think @Michael81 gave good advice. Quality over quantity.

@DiplomaticTies . Thanks! The advice and inspiration was all @Roycru

I actually found it as is, but I feel that it was once part of a suit that is now long gone.

Possibly. The gorge is quite low. Possible 30-40's? I don't know. I'm not an expert at Vintage style. Could be an 80's piece.
ink @@

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
Bored, so I dressed like Theodore from Her, played by Joaquin Phoenix.
jBR6oPL.jpg

btdlROc.jpg

wrfU7E2.jpg

H&M shirt (that I cut the collar off of), French Linen blazer style chore coat, 1960's trousers (thrifted), and AE beefrolls (thrifted)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics