• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A failed attempted at matching 0533 Minnis Fresco from two different tailoring companies. It's a rather long story but never again
baldy[1].gif

MTM Fresco Jacket - Local Tailor
MTM Fresco Trousers - Luxire
MTM Shirt - Luxire
Shantung Tie - Conrad Wu
Shell Bal Boots - Carmina

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is getting so much easier to read since I started using the block function on everyone who quotes full picture posts without spoilers.

Coincidentally, I had the exact same thought, roughly at the same time I read your comment!

Suit by Sartoria Tofani
Shirt by Lucca, a parisian shirtmaker
Tie by Berg&Berg
PS by Monsieur London

Debate club? I wish there was such a thing where I live/study. I could really use the experience - my argumentative skills, especially orally, are really lacking.

Last edited:

zr3rs

Reaction score
First outing of an Orazio Luciano peacoat made from a gorgeous 24oz Fox Brothers coating.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. On first blush I wouldn't think of it as a peacoat - the double breasted buttons on a pea coat are straight and parallel while your top row of buttons look to be slighter wider than the bottom, also your lapels look more reasonable and roll to second row of buttons unlike peacoats that are usually hard-rolled to the top row (and often ridiculously exaggerated too) or a much higher stanced second row. All of that looks to me more like a narrower db config, more like Cucinelli's 1-and-a-half breasted, rather than a pea coat. But I digress, she's a looker!
First outing of an Orazio Luciano peacoat made from a gorgeous 24oz Fox Brothers coating.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. On first blush I wouldn't think of it as a peacoat - the double breasted buttons on a pea coat are straight and parallel while your top row of buttons look to be slighter wider than the bottom, also your lapels look more reasonable and roll to second row of buttons unlike peacoats that are usually hard-rolled to the top row (and often ridiculously exaggerated too) or a much higher stanced second row. All of that looks to me more like a narrower db config, more like Cucinelli's 1-and-a-half breasted, rather than a pea coat.

But I digress, she's a looker!
Definitely a nice coat. I could be off but aren't longer Pea Coats called Reefer coats?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A cold wet day and perfect for cashmere and an Inspector Clouseau trench coat.

Trench: BB Black Fleece
Sport Coat, Shirt and Scarf: Zegna
Tie: Isaia
Worn with Zegna flannel pants in Air Force blue and AE Dalton boots in walnut.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely a nice coat. I could be off but aren't longer Pea Coats called Reefer coats?

The way I was understand it a reefer jacket and a pea coat are the same. Somewhere between a pea coat and a traditional naval overcoat / greatcoat / officers / guards style coat is named a bridge coat.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the 18th Century, Midshipmen were sometimes called "reefers" (which some might consider better than being called a "snotty") and the coats they wore were sometimes called "reefer coats". (See the book "Rattlin, The Reefer", for an example.)

In the 18th Century, pilots wore jackets called "pilot coats", sometimes shortened to "p coats". (See several of Captain Marryat's books for examples.)

Somehow, over the years, p coats have become peacoats (although they have nothing to do with peas) and are now worn not just by pilots as a mark of their office, but by all sorts of people, both at sea and far from the sea.

In the 18th Century, reefer coats were shorter than pilot coats.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the 18th Century, Midshipmen were sometimes called "reefers" (which some might consider better than being called a "snotty") and the coats they wore were sometimes called "reefer coats".  (See the book "Rattlin, The Reefer", for an example.)

In the 18th Century, pilots wore jackets called "pilot coats", sometimes shortened to "p coats".  (See several of Captain Marryat's books for examples.)

Somehow, over the years, p coats have become peacoats (although they have nothing to do with peas) and are now worn not just by pilots as a mark of their office, but by all sorts of people, both at sea and far from the sea.

In the 18th Century, reefer coats were shorter than pilot coats.

I've also read about a Dutch connection with the P being Pij. Funny how legends can have so many roots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads