• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same square (since I was born in the year of the monkey). But I liked that series so much so I had to come up with excuses to buy others as well. I have from my wife's year, my son's etc...

I was born in the year of the monkey as well. It's a great series! How will you celebrate your 36th year?

@gerry nelson you are the feng shui of fashion

I'm not sure what that means but I like it!

Thanks, Gerry.

You're very welcome.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gong Xi Fa Cai to all those celebrating Chinese New Year. The square is by Vanda Fine Clothing and commemorates the year of the monkey in the Chinese zodiac.

Damn...! Nice fit! I really like the suit cloth, and the pocket square! I'm never disappointed by your fits!

Nice shine on the toe box as well!

I have the same square (since I was born in the year of the monkey). But I liked that series so much so I had to come up with excuses to buy others as well. I have from my wife's year, my son's etc...

I just went on Vanda's website, and you're quite right. It's a very nice collection! I'm born in the year of the snake, but I would be interested in the tiger, rooster and ox!

Quarks

Reaction score

Quarks that suit is as smooth as butter on you. Very nice. Where are you going if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks pravda. I was just putting on for a fit pic for a client. So I thought I'll just post it here. I certainly can't pull this off anywhere, not even pitti!

You dress well amingo I would personally wear your G&G or other higher brand over tom ford shoes. Just my two cent & yes when I first started I was looking at TF & ferragmos etc & have few pair of those.

Thanks TtownMD. I have been neglecting my G&G lately..... timely reminder! I am currently eyeing on a few G&G's; just waiting to pull the plug. Aside from G&G, I have been hard pressed to find other brands of shoes. Berluti's are nice, but doesn't float my boat. I certainly don't just rock TFs :) hopefully in time, I will post something else. TF overload for now I think.

blekit

Reaction score
Today. Any comments, as always, are highly appreciated.

532585e0817e7fd2aced6de902c9c58a.jpg

• Suit by Suitsupply
  • shirt by Osovski
  • tie and pocketsquare by Poszetka Handcrafted
  • belt from Massimo Dutti
  • Seiko watch
  • shoes by Berwick

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very low-key, very nice.
On that church flow..
I don't think the three different fabrics in one outfit works. It's not nearly as bad as it could be (just from hearing "three suit fabrics in one outfit), since the fabrics are all quite muted and in a restrained color palette, but still. Fit is very good though, as always.
Today. Any comments, as always, are highly appreciated.
532585e0817e7fd2aced6de902c9c58a.jpg
  • Suit by Suitsupply
  • shirt by Osovski
  • tie and pocketsquare by Poszetka Handcrafted
  • belt from Massimo Dutti
  • Seiko watch
  • shoes by Berwick
Overall, this is good; colors are good, fit seems to be good. Minor points: shirt points could be longer, shoes and belt match better. Also, I'm not a fan of this kind of tie, but this is more subjective.
Monday.
LL
Really nice. At first, it looks really basic, but up close the POW check of the suit makes this fairly advanced. Tie is very nice; only thing: is the shirt blue and the square white?

Spandexter

Reaction score
Thanks @Sander. I tried way too many squares with that one and couldn't find anything that I was happy with so settled for plain ol' white (with a blue shirt) as I felt it needed something. Any suggestions on what would work better here?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks @Sander. I tried way too many squares with that one and couldn't find anything that I was happy with so settled for plain ol' white (with a blue shirt) as I felt it needed something. Any suggestions on what would work better here?

This is a personal thing, but I don't like plain light blue shirts with white linen pocket squares. To me, the square jumps out too much then. A white linen with light blue, navy or burgundy shoestring would be an obvious choice. Classic paisleys with burgundy or light blue ground would also work. But these would be too boring for me personally, I probably would have gone with a paisley with cream ground.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has a long history of offering unsolicited feedback, as you well know. It was far more entertaining and instructive when knowledgeable posters shared more. Some feedback was blunt and critical, which the thread could use more of now, in my humble opinion. There are plenty of good knowledgeable posters whose advice is sorely needed.

It's almost not worth it to give advise anymore. Criticism is mistaken for vitriol and the old hands are mostly gone. The people that dispense advise today are people I would never take seriously.

I am no expert; most of what I know about classic menswear I have gleaned from this forum. In that sense I am a secondary or perhaps even tertiary source. I therefore don't regard myself as being qualified to give harsh advice, although I will occasionally make some gentle suggestions. I suspect a number of other newer members of the SF community are hesitant in the same way.

However, there are still plenty of great outfits posted here on an almost daily basis. For me, the best way to learn is to look at photos, form my own opinion, check it against the thumb count, and if there's a discrepancy, ask myself why. Especially if a fit I like proves not to be popular. What failing did I miss? And do I miss that same mistake in my own efforts too?

I guess what I'm saying is that there are a number of different ways one can glean value from this thread.

Thanks pravda. I was just putting on for a fit pic for a client. So I thought I'll just post it here. I certainly can't pull this off anywhere, not even pitti!

I'm glad to read that. The suit was obviously well made, but it was verging on clownish. Is this client of yours a ringmaster, or a TV evangelist or something?

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads