• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had; they just got a little grubby from earlier rain. I don't have a polish set in my office.
wink.gif

Do you use shoe trees? I haven't seen a wrinkle pattern like that on any of my own shoes. Might be the wrong last for your feet as well.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wish I was short and only had to worry about tucking, being 6.2" you get tiny knots and ridiculously short back blades instead:

I'm 6' 2" and don't have this problem. The problem is probably that you're wearing your pants too low like jeans.

All in all, I don't care about how my ties end up unless it is something extreme looking. I always wear a jacket so it is pretty much a non-issue.

sansimeon

Reaction score
I'm 6' 2" and don't have this problem. The problem is probably that you're wearing your pants too low like jeans.

All in all, I don't care about how my ties end up unless it is something extreme looking. I always wear a jacket so it is pretty much a non-issue.
Nope. I have a long upper body though.

To clarify: the super short back blade thing usually occurs with knit ties (which I guess are shorter in general?), whilst the problem with regular ties is that the knot sometimes turns out smaller than I'd like it to.

eviltimeban

Reaction score
Do you use shoe trees? I haven't seen a wrinkle pattern like that on any of my own shoes. Might be the wrong last for your feet as well.

No - and I should. These shoes are pretty wrinkly alright. Well they are kind of on the way out - they weren't expensive. But I should get the trees alright.

I've been meaning to ask if you use standard or xl length ties - your knots usually look great and I knew you were a tall fella too! Do you know of any good source for longer knits? They're usually way too short, like the one in the picture I posted.

Great look today btw, love the suit!

Thanks! No I just buy standard length, but like I said I make sure they are between 58" - 60" at a minimum. I've gotten a fair few ties from Luxeswap and the measurements are always given on the eBay ad. I got my (one) knit tie in a shop called Moss Bros here which is not an expensive shop by any means. It just happens to be long.

There's a store here called Kevin & Howlin which stock Atkinsons ties; they do knit ties too and while the wool ties are very long, I haven't bought a knit from them. I could check it out for you though if you like.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No - and I should. These shoes are pretty wrinkly alright. Well they are kind of on the way out - they weren't expensive. But I should get the trees alright.

I'm a big fan of the exquisite trimmings shoe trees, if you're looking for a source relatively close by.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cox, how do you partition time between office work / patient consulting and surgery? And when performing, do you come to the office in your normal wear and change or just come in in something quickly thrown on.

@Coxsackie is a surgeon? Baller!

JHT652

Reaction score

No - and I should. These shoes are pretty wrinkly alright. Well they are kind of on the way out - they weren't expensive. But I should get the trees alright. Thanks! No I just buy standard length, but like I said I make sure they are between 58" - 60" at a minimum . I've gotten a fair few ties from Luxeswap and the measurements are always given on the eBay ad. I got my (one) knit tie in a shop called Moss Bros here which is not an expensive shop by any means. It just happens to be long. There's a store here called Kevin & Howlin which stock Atkinsons ties; they do knit ties too and while the wool ties are very long, I haven't bought a knit from them. I could check it out for you though if you like.
Marks & Spencer do a pure silk knit tie in an XL length. Might be worth a look... http://www.marksandspencer.com/xl-pure-silk-knitted-tie/p/p22232554

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the suit, but I think the shoes are too casual for the it.  I very much like navy suits and brown shoes, but these loafers seem too bright given how dark the suit is.  

I feel ya.

I'm sensitive to that kind of thing, too—I don't wear walnut brown shoes with navy, for example, because the contrast is just too much to my eyes. Obviously I determined these suedes were okay color-wise.

Honestly, I was more worried that suede loafers as a species of shoe wouldn't match the formality of a navy suit. Heck, one day after I wore this, Put This On proclaimed exactly what I worried about.

Ultimately, I took the risk and felt it looked awesome.

But I appreciate your feedback.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents here but I think your knot should be a half windsor. It seems too small of a knot.

Ruds, I know where you are coming from, but this is the best knot for this specific tie. It is a bit smaller than I usually like.

I pretty much stick to four in hand or double FIH.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two days in a row in a suit...rare for me.

Suit: Kiton
Shirt: Fairfax
Tie: Borrelli
Shoes: G&G

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This double-breasted RLBL has such structured shoulders; after experiencing the land of milk and honey via a natural-shoulder Corneliani-made Polo, I always have nagging doubts about this thing.

I changed the buttons out from a dark navy to the brown horn here (a subtle change, but made a difference), which helps. But still, I can't help but feel that if a double breasted version of my Polo blazer showed up on eBay or B&S for cheap (or trade), I would jump on it in a heartbeat…

Thoughts, oh SF intelligentsia?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even would mean the front blade hanging at least an inch below the pants' waistline. I went with the lesser of three evils (the one which is harded to notice and if noticed can be passed off as sprezz). The third evil being a full windsor.

But of course the tuck itself was intentional. The back blade didn't just slide into my pants on its own own accord. That **** doesn't happen, regardless of what you were trying to rationalize Thursday night.

Also, I have to tuck in at least a third of my fits. Y'all just dont see it

You can only do this if your ties happen to all be exactly the right length for your body or you like having your tie hang low (which almost no-one does and it certainly wouldn't be approved of here). But unless you are lucky enough to be a standard height or you get all your ties custom-made or altered, then you're going to have to tuck in the back blade sometimes or most of the time. I buy the shortest ties I can get my hands on but being only 165cm (5'5") tall, I still have to tuck with about 90% of them.

cant a guy bust clags balls anymore without everyone going full on nerd?

anyways, all i was saying is that any time the back blade is split from the front, and not covered by the front blade, it gives off a pitti vibe. which i dont mind. its just not the clags general MO, so i was busting his balls.

Y U ALL SO SRS!!!

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cant a guy bust clags balls anymore without everyone going full on nerd?

anyways, all i was saying is that any time the back blade is split from the front, and not covered by the front blade, it gives off a pitti vibe. which i dont mind. its just not the clags general MO, so i was busting his balls.

Y U ALL SO SRS!!!
let stitchy fulfill his fetish guys.

Besides Clags knows the safety word.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads