• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great jacket and nice color scheme. I think this would look better with a smaller tie knot and more formal pants. A finer cotton, linen, or a fine wool.
Thanks. Yeah it is mostly the fabric of the tie is thick and I am not used to tying it yet. Practice will make perfect.

I have linen pants in a warmer tone I just didn’t feel like it was summery enough out yet to justify them. Also trying to see how far temperature wise I can push these chino’s. I’d like to get a cream pair of wool trousers but that may not happen until later in the year.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should make the acquisition of tailored odd trousers a priority. These are far too casual and make your outfits look disjointed.
Yeah what you and @An Acute Style said drove me to the webs to better understand what you are talking about. I found this https://putthison.com/a-guide-to-spring-and-summer-trousers/

I’m trying to better understand the differences between the two. Is it the fit, drape, materials, or something else that makes one more appropriate than another?

I have lost some weight and muscle recently which is making my shirts and pants fit less than ideal for the time being.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah what you and @An Acute Style said drove me to the webs to better understand what you are talking about. I found this https://putthison.com/a-guide-to-spring-and-summer-trousers/

I’m trying to better understand the differences between the two. Is it the fit, drape, materials, or something else that makes one more appropriate than another?

I have lost some weight and muscle recently which is making my shirts and pants fit less than ideal for the time being.
Yes.

Chinos are typically regarded as casual trousers (they were invented for soldiers to wear in combat after all) - It makes it tough to wear with tailoring outside of an Ivy context IMO. Others may disagree but as a short cut, I treat my chinos like jeans essentially on the formality spectrum when deciding how to pair them. Chinos tend to have a slightly lower rise, more casual silhouette, more casual details in how they're made - things like lapped seams, thicker/contrast threads, rivets etc. They're great for throwing an ocbd or sweater on and going to the park, less so for office wear with a jacket and tie.

You can get tailored cotton trousers as an alternative if you like the twill cotton feel of chinos, tropical wools, cotton/linen blends, twills are also good alternatives.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summer has arrived with my car telling me we’re pushing 100 but some serious meetings meant a suit and tie. Cotton/linen zephyr shirt and buggy lined 4 ply to try and find the little relief I’m able.
CE4EC8BD-D9F5-4EAE-A423-68900DE9A4DA.jpeg
A4C16C75-FB5A-4E97-B7FF-4DF30EEBC838.jpeg

jeremygo

Reaction score
Something something I am in the office with new pants and tie. I will likely take the tie off later as it warms up.

View attachment 1966847 View attachment 1966839 View attachment 1966841 View attachment 1966843 View attachment 1966845
My own 5 cents on the formality conversation is it'd be better to lean casual or formal, whereas you're straddling that line right now. I think the chinos/jacket combo would work better if you ditched the tie and swapped the captoes for loafers.

Take that with a big ol' grain of salt as I tend to wear more casual sport coats with higher-rise denim (Orslow 105s) or chinos (Rota/The Armoury) plus boots or loafers.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My own 5 cents on the formality conversation is it'd be better to lean casual or formal, whereas you're straddling that line right now. I think the chinos/jacket combo would work better if you ditched the tie and swapped the captoes for loafers.

Take that with a big ol' grain of salt as I tend to wear more casual sport coats with higher-rise denim (Orslow 105s) or chinos (Rota/The Armoury) plus boots or loafers.
Yep I think that is where I am. I have been replacing/expanding my dress shoes recently and opted to go oxfords instead to better fit my suits. Also working on finding the right loafers for me that aren't drivers.

In the winter I am a boots man mostly and my combinations fit that better.

I think will checkout the thrift racks for dress slacks to fill gaps for now. They are usually well stocked. Otherwise be more conscious of my combinations.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC has remained remarkably pleasant over the last several days (a trend soon to be ended with heat arriving by Friday). However, making sartorial hay while the sun is shining and it's not overly warm and humid, I am dressed today for the annual Frick Museum garden party. In years past, when the mansion has been open, the greenery and the open lawn facing Central Park has inspired very colorful attire on the parts of the attendees, but, in its temporary home in the former Whitney Museum, the sunken garden space is much more urban and much less green.

I was of two minds about what to wear this evening. I have included a photo of an ensemble which I had originally thought would work with the pink linen waistcoat, my intended centerpiece for today's attire, but, against cream linen, I thought that the pink was too vibrant, and that it needed to be seen against a much darker background, hence the suit with which I've chosen for this evening's party.

The pink linen waistcoat is from Ede & Ravenscroft

The cream linen ensemble:

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - no name brand
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Pocket square - Seaward & Stearns, UK
Vintage watch chain

The navy stripe suit:

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC has remained remarkably pleasant over the last several days (a trend soon to be ended with heat arriving by Friday). However, making sartorial hay while the sun is shining and it's not overly warm and humid, I am dressed today for the annual Frick Museum garden party. In years past, when the mansion has been open, the greenery and the open lawn facing Central Park has inspired very colorful attire on the parts of the attendees, but, in its temporary home in the former Whitney Museum, the sunken garden space is much more urban and much less green.

I was of two minds about what to wear this evening. I have included a photo of an ensemble which I had originally thought would work with the pink linen waistcoat, my intended centerpiece for today's attire, but, against cream linen, I thought that the pink was too vibrant, and that it needed to be seen against a much darker background, hence the suit with which I've chosen for this evening's party.

The pink linen waistcoat is from Ede & Ravenscroft

The cream linen ensemble:

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - no name brand
Pocket square - Seaward & Stearns, UK
Vintage watch chain

The navy stripe suit:

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

View attachment 1967091

I really like that pink waistcoat.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something something I am in the office with new pants and tie. I will likely take the tie off later as it warms up.

View attachment 1966847 View attachment 1966839 View attachment 1966841 View attachment 1966843 View attachment 1966845

Very nice jacket and tie, and overall colour composition. As already others said, the trousers don't look coherent.

The sleeves could be somewhat shortened, the tie could take advantage of some pressing.
As @An Acute Style pointed out, the knot is too big for that collar, it would be right for a large spread collar though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads