• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fireplace at the Tea Rose Garden Tea Room in Pasadena CA and me.

IMG_3922.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, OCBD shirt, and pocket square, Vineyard Vines Christmas tie, Austin Reed vest, Polo Ralph Lauren grey flannel trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

Similar to the lists Santa has for children, I have "Naughty" and "Nice" list for Tea Rooms.

The Tea Rose Garden is on my "Nice" list. They get four "Nice points.

They open at 10:00am, you can order what you want, they are half a block from the Gold Line Memorial Park station, and there are lots of other things to see and do nearby.

Today, since it's cranberry season, I ordered cranberry chicken sandwiches, a maple walnut scone, and Assam tea.

IMG_3933.jpeg

Once upon a time getting working cuff buttons at Brooks Brothers was no problem. If you asked for working cuff buttons you got working cuff buttons at no cost. In the early seventies the default setting on three button jacket was two cuff buttons. For a while I thought three cuff buttons seemed more balanced, so this jacket has three buttons on each cuff.

Tea Rose Garden also gets an extra seasonal "Nice" point for having a nice Christmas Tree.

IMG_3935.jpeg

While on the subject of Christmas Trees, the Christmas Tree in the South Patio at Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal and me, Changed trains here enroute to Pasadena.

IMG_3897.jpeg

For fans of Christmas Trees, there were more Christmas Trees inside the Waiting Room.

IMG_3904.jpeg

Close up of the shoes.

IMG_3902.jpeg

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is overcast and mild here in NYC today, after rain yesterday into this morning. I've a holiday party to attend this evening, at the Frick, one that is not formal, but guests are encouraged to look festive for the occasion.

I had originally thought of wearing my double breasted velvet smoking jacket, as it's a very seasonally appropriate shade of red, but then thought about my dark green corduroy jacket, picked up on sale in London this past summer. I then was intrigued to try both, with exactly the same accessories - shirt, neckwear, trousers, braces, etc. - to see what the change of one item would do to the look. The results of this experiment I display below.

For the record, I am wearing the green jacket - the velvet is too warm for the weather this evening.

Red double breasted smoking jacket - Ede & Ravenscroft
Dark green corduroy jacket - Favourbrook
Shirt & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Ascot - Harvie & Hudson
Cufflinks - DVVS NYC - custom made
Braces & trousers - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is overcast and mild here in NYC today, after rain yesterday into this morning. I've a holiday party to attend this evening, at the Frick, one that is not formal, but guests are encouraged to look festive for the occasion.

I had originally thought of wearing my double breasted velvet smoking jacket, as it's a very seasonally appropriate shade of red, but then thought about my dark green corduroy jacket, picked up on sale in London this past summer. I then was intrigued to try both, with exactly the same accessories - shirt, neckwear, trousers, braces, etc. - to see what the change of one item would do to the look. The results of this experiment I display below.

For the record, I am wearing the green jacket - the velvet is too warm for the weather this evening.

Red double breasted smoking jacket - Ede & Ravenscroft
Dark green corduroy jacket - Favourbrook
Shirt & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Ascot - Harvie & Hudson
Cufflinks - DVVS NYC - custom made
Braces & trousers - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris

View attachment 1865250

I think both fits looks great, and you cant miss either way.

Just curious, does the velvet DB wear that much warmer than the green cord SB sportcoat??

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both fits looks great, and you cant miss either way.

Just curious, does the velvet DB wear that much warmer than the green cord SB sportcoat??

With it being both velvet and double breasted, it is definitely warmer.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads