• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20221201_091932_edit_2486457637504966.jpg
IMG_20221201_092204.jpg
IMG_20221201_092043_edit_2486401614812266.jpg
IMG_20221201_092248.jpg
IMG_20221201_092436.jpg

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score
Happy Thursday all, today I'm wearing my just delivered suit from Indochino. Now before you go off on me for going with Indochino over some place like Spier & McKay or SuitSupply, I do understand the quality difference and the only reason I went with Indochino was that I fell in love with this fabric. I'm a bit disappointed with the fit of the jacket; the gorge seems much too high and it doesn't show off enough of my shirt and tie for my taste. But what do you all think? Very much looking for feedback if I should go back to Nordstrom and demand a remake of the jacket. Thanks in advance for the feedback!
-j7ynee.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Thursday all, today I'm wearing my just delivered suit from Indochino. Now before you go off on me for going with Indochino over some place like Spier & McKay or SuitSupply, I do understand the quality difference and the only reason I went with Indochino was that I fell in love with this fabric. I'm a bit disappointed with the fit of the jacket; the gorge seems much too high and it doesn't show off enough of my shirt and tie for my taste. But what do you all think? Very much looking for feedback if I should go back to Nordstrom and demand a remake of the jacket. Thanks in advance for the feedback! View attachment 1863023
Button stance and gorge aside, are you able to move in this jacket?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Thursday all, today I'm wearing my just delivered suit from Indochino. Now before you go off on me for going with Indochino over some place like Spier & McKay or SuitSupply, I do understand the quality difference and the only reason I went with Indochino was that I fell in love with this fabric. I'm a bit disappointed with the fit of the jacket; the gorge seems much too high and it doesn't show off enough of my shirt and tie for my taste. But what do you all think? Very much looking for feedback if I should go back to Nordstrom and demand a remake of the jacket. Thanks in advance for the feedback! View attachment 1863023
Sorry but this looks ridiculous. I know you are built like a ******* tank, but having a slim/skinny cut like that does not flatter you what so ever. With a body type like you, I would not trust cheapish MTM like Indochino or even SuSu or S&M.

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score
Sorry but this looks ridiculous. I know you are built like a ******* tank, but having a slim/skinny cut like that does not flatter you what so ever. With a body type like you, I would not trust cheapish MTM like Indochino or even SuSu or S&M.

Fair enough I respect the honesty, may I ask if you have any alternatives you could suggest? I do very much enjoy classic menswear and dressing up, I'd hate to have to just give up on it.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough I respect the honesty, may I ask if you have any alternatives you could suggest? I do very much enjoy classic menswear and dressing up, I'd hate to have to just give up on it.
When you say “flexible” is that a reference to the cloth or the cut? Because this looks very slim/tight on you so trying to gauge whether the fabric is flexible because of its properties or if the jacket is cut full enough.

The combination of the very square, roped shoulders paired with a narrow lapel, high gorge and high button stance make it look even tighter and smaller on you.

A fuller cut trouser IMO would help make you look less top heavy. Less waist suppression. Softening the shoulder and eliminating the roping. A wider lapel with the button stance moved down significantly and gorge slightly lowered. I’d personally lengthen the jacket. A higher arm hole so it doesn’t pull the cloth up from your waist into your arm. I’d lengthen the sleeves a bit as well.

My drawing on my phone isn’t the best but this sort of shows what I mean.
432D43FE-3DAE-41BB-84F9-8F696AB8D44B.jpeg

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score
When you say “flexible” is that a reference to the cloth or the cut? Because this looks very slim/tight on you so trying to gauge whether the fabric is flexible because of its properties or if the jacket is cut full enough.

The combination of the very square, roped shoulders paired with a narrow lapel, high gorge and high button stance make it look even tighter and smaller on you.

A fuller cut trouser IMO would help make you look less top heavy. Less waist suppression. Softening the shoulder and eliminating the roping. A wider lapel with the button stance moved down significantly and gorge slightly lowered. I’d personally lengthen the jacket. A higher arm hole so it doesn’t pull the cloth up from your waist into your arm. I’d lengthen the sleeves a bit as well.

My drawing on my phone isn’t the best but this sort of shows what I mean.

Thank you! I agree with all of what you suggest. By flexible I did mean the cut, this is not a "stretch" fabric. I have food range of motion and it doesn't FEEL tight or constricting anywhere. I will go back to Nordstrom's where I was measured and who has a partnership with Indochino to see what they can do and hopefully get a new jacket.

Again, thank you much.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I agree with all of what you suggest. By flexible I did mean the cut, this is not a "stretch" fabric. I have food range of motion and it doesn't FEEL tight or constricting anywhere. I will go back to Nordstrom's where I was measured and who has a partnership with Indochino to see what they can do and hopefully get a new jacket.

Again, thank you much.
I will echo @Zerase advice that you’re probably a candidate for a much more in depth MTM with a more experienced fitter (the people Nordstrom hires usually just kind of get a crash course in punching numbers into an iPad if we are being honest) or bespoke.

I know it can be daunting but if it is a possibility I think you’ll end up with better results and by sticking to a couple garments with more subtle patterns you can get more use out of them than needing so many if you stick with bold patterns.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tailor I use (mostly for alterations) also does bespoke trousers and MTM suits and all sorts of other stuff. He is trained by Timothy Everest and says that the most difficult body type to fit is people like you that are into powerlifting and other strength sports. Imagine being an untrained person at Nordstroms trying to fit you.

Also, for your next commission, go for a more subtle type of fabric. A big guy in a suit already sticks out. One in a plaid double breasted sticks out even more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads