• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

psb

Reaction score
I disagree. I prefer clinical simplicity before spectacularity. The former is the ultimate sophistication.

(Almost) everyone is able to turn something spectacular into something interesting. But it takes a true artisan to convert something simple into something intricate. We'll done, sir.
Thank you very much Sir.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From yesterday.

Today.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it may have been cold some places on Thanksgiving, in Santa Monica it was around 75F and sunny.

On Wilshire Blvd between 3rd Street and 4th Street on the way to Ye Olde King's Head for Thanksgiving turkey.

IMG_3770.jpeg

Brooks Brothers pre Officious Preppy Handbook cotton and polyester machine washable suit which I have washed in a washing machine and dried in a dryer many times, BB#1 stripe tie, and pocket square, L L Bean OCBD shirt, Murano linen vest, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

Turkey, cider, and me at Ye Olde King's Head. This year actually tried a Brussels sprout. Cut one in half and ate the half. Now know for sure I do not like Brussels sprouts.

The pub and both dining rooms were filled with people watching Brazil v. Serbia.

IMG_3819.jpeg

The Santa Monica Place Christmas Tree.

IMG_3812.jpeg

Random Santa Monica street scene.

IMG_3813.jpeg

MattyS

Reaction score
For today's faculty meeting (my last as chair), I decided to dress for the occasion. This is a Lutwyche suit that I found on eBay as part of the big liquidation. It's beautifully made, and the only alteration it needed was shortening the sleeves and trousers. (My right sleeve normally falls much more neatly; it was caught on my cufflink when the photo was taken.)
IMG_2124.jpeg

MattyS

Reaction score
For today's faculty meeting (my last as chair), I decided to dress for the occasion. This is a Lutwyche suit that I found on eBay as part of the big liquidation. It's beautifully made, and the only alteration it needed was shortening the sleeves and trousers. (My right sleeve normally falls much more neatly; it was caught on my cufflink when the photo was taken.)
View attachment 1860586
Just noticed the feline photobomb!

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A quick shot on a hectic day, exhibiting at a local fair and running the online Black Friday sale with 20% off sitewide over at Amidé Hadelin!

66159301-8DF7-4D33-AE47-36A4260E845D.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is partly overcast, with breaks of sunshine, and seasonably cool temperatures. For many, today is Black Friday, but, for me, sartorially, today is Brown Friday.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Corneliani
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft
Cufflinks - of unknown origin - a museum gift shop, most likely
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - New & Lingwood
Boots - Paul Smith
Hat - Laird Hatters, London
Scarf - Ralph Lauren Purple Label

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Blackwatch Friday. I have DSLR photos, but don’t have time to edit them tonight. I’ll post them later. Until then, here are some cellphone shots.

07279C85-A149-45D5-AE9D-B6B93692C887.jpeg

2BC66F4E-2225-43B5-A54D-2CF4CE835BE0.jpeg

F48A3494-3897-4575-8B93-A433F32E0819.jpeg

A50286EF-C526-446F-99A7-73635C32D677.jpeg

422A7342-738D-4733-A36B-C0C50A7A86C0.jpeg

Outside with it. Put on an overcoat as the temps dropped.
99EE5218-896A-4433-AC07-643640F9AA2C.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it may have been cold in some places on Thanksgiving, in Shanghai, it was around 20oC and sunny.

So we took an opportunity to visit the Jade Buddha Temple, something we have tried and failed twice before in the last nine years (for stupid reasons, the stupid in this case being ourselves).

IMG_1648.jpg

Edge Finder suit (Fresco fabric), TM Lewin shirt, and wool/silk scarf. Suit has never been dry cleaned as I avoid it as much as I can.

IMG_1642.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg

Unfortunately, it is bad form to take pictures of the buddhas, so I can't show the Hall of 1,000 Buddhas and other grand statues in the place (including the gorgeous Jade Buddha). Below you have a statue where people leave notes of their wishes during special dates.

IMG_1657.jpg
If you want to learn why the Chinese are fond of firecrackers and the color red, I suggest this 5-minute video:

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a famished person ready to eat a mortadella sandwich from one of the two Brazilian places in Shanghai (the fries should not accompany a sandwich but then again, we are not in Sao Paulo, famous for its mortadella sandwiches).

IMG_1689.jpg

The bar/restaurant was fully decorated for the World Cup, but I couldn't care less about football. The wife noted that they put the jerseys of the squads competing in the tournament all over the place but that Argentina's jersey was right by the front. Outrage!

Later, a walk around town to see the new exhibition in the Shanghai Museum. In the background, the infamous "cazzo" building, my favorite architectural landmark in the city.

IMG_1699.jpg

For fans of animals, a random picture of the pigeons in People's Square, one of the rare sights in China where one can see these flying rats.

IMG_1700.jpg

If you can't tell, this post is a tribute to one of the Mount Rushmore of posters on SF, the one and only @Roycru; may we enjoy his posts for decades to come.

PS: no, I don't need to wear masks everywhere. It is there for a proper tribute, so you don't see many headless pics.

cr2596

Reaction score
New high-rise jeans from Natalino...by far the best-fitting, best quality denim I've ever tried.

View attachment 1858472 View attachment 1858473
I just had this experience with a pair of black jeans from Observer Collection. Been wearing the hell out of them to break em in.

Great overall look, by the way.

D61A7F8A-B3DF-47EE-8BCB-78F24E919876.jpeg

I disagree. I prefer clinical simplicity before spectacularity. The former is the ultimate sophistication.

(Almost) everyone is able to turn something spectacular into something interesting. But it takes a true artisan to convert something simple into something intricate. Well done, sir.
I am a big ole fan of both. Keep ‘em all coming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads