• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gavspen

Reaction score
Thank you. Rules? Oh, I'm just having a bit of fun. StyFo orthodoxy would frown on wearing an off-white jacket over charcoal grey trousers. Others frown upon wearing white (or near-white after Labor Day); wearing a lavender shirt in general.
**** da rules. Dress for the weather, not the calendar. Maybe lighter trousers would be better, but I quibble. Haha. The shirt is delightful.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the only time out for this jacket this year. I'm sure I broke all kinds of rules. Ask me if I care.
View attachment 1837232
View attachment 1837233
I'll have a go. I always like a good northern lights fit and this is pretty good. I think a black shoe would look a lot better than the brown. I know there is some brown in the tie and the jacket may be a warm cream, but I think the purple shirt cools it all down to the point that black shoes would work better. Especially next to the dark gray pants.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very Brooks Brothers-y last Friday for dinner with my bride at Parachute, a Korean-focused restaurant helmed by former “Top Chef” contestant Beverly Kim.

• Suit: Brooks Brothers
  • Necktie: Brooks Brothers
  • Pocket square: Polo Ralph Lauren
  • Shirt: Brooks Brothers
  • Cufflinks: Chicago street fair
  • Sunglasses: Caddis
  • Watch: Breitling
  • Socks: J McLaughlin
  • Shoes: Alden
6D4275F5-2EA9-495B-AAA1-B4D81C6D8691.jpeg
971502D0-FA33-41E8-B6B9-E36A628388E5.jpeg
56474EDA-A6B2-4F96-9111-6C269809B6EB.jpeg
BE3DC5CE-DBFA-4109-B373-D5F061A57098.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wha ? no lavender shirts ? !

acute's black shoes notion is well-aimed i think , love the hat .

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gala dinner benefiting the Illinois Environmental Council with my wife and her brother and sister-in-law

• Suit: Hickey - Freeman
  • Pocket square: Brooks Brothers
  • Necktie: Brooks Brothers
  • Shirt: Harriet & Hudson
  • Cufflinks: Sydel & Sydel Jewelers
  • Watch: Oris
  • Socks: J McLaughlin
  • Shoes: Crockett & Jones for Brooks Brothers
7B25C4D8-340E-44BB-81C8-B17D111D2498.jpeg
B67F2018-104E-4B73-8FB3-81C8CE38089D.jpeg
D412D7F9-B498-4A11-A961-36D0C4CE85F7.jpeg
6E953FCF-3020-433B-B8DC-5E4C95B2EE78.jpeg

blewnote1

Reaction score
Thank you. Rules? Oh, I'm just having a bit of fun. StyFo orthodoxy would frown on wearing an off-white jacket over charcoal grey trousers. Others frown upon wearing white (or near-white after Labor Day); wearing a lavender shirt in general.

Right there with you brother. It was 95 here on Friday and I wore an off white DB with charcoal brown high twist trousers, although went with a blue ground with white stripe shirt. Brown tie and shoes, and a white shantung hat.

It's so hot here though, I tend to play off "resort wear" and a white/off white dinner jacket with midnight blue or black trousers is not far from a very dark brown or charcoal in my opinion.

I dig it!

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Internet --> broken.

The weather in NYC is nigh unto perfect - 22C/72 F and sunny with a light breeze, and this evening, early (a 6:00 PM curtain) will be the opening of the 2022-2023 season at the Metropolitan Opera. As I've never attended the opening of the season previously, nor have I ever heard, in performance, the evening's opera (Cherubini's "Medea"), I decided to go, and, as it's been three years or more since I've worn my "normal" tuxedo (as opposed to the fancy dinner jackets that I've sported since parties returned to the social calendar last year), I decided to dress up for the occasion. Happily, the tuxedo still fits. As it is still relatively warm, I opted for a cummerbund rather than a waistcoat (which, truth be told, I prefer).

And, in accordance with the request of Son of Saphir, I've photographed myself wearing my Venetian Carnevale masks, as he expressed interest in the one that is normally in the background of my seated shots (the other is just a bonus). While masked and tuxedoed, I look like an extra from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut", or something equally decadent.

Tuxedo & cummerbund - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

View attachment 1837102

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have a go. I always like a good northern lights fit and this is pretty good. I think a black shoe would look a lot better than the brown. I know there is some brown in the tie and the jacket may be a warm cream, but I think the purple shirt cools it all down to the point that black shoes would work better. Especially next to the dark gray pants.
Yeah, I thought about black shoes, but I don't like wearing black shoes during the day, unless I'm wearing a dark suit. See, I guess I have my own rules! I would have preferred lighter grey trousers but I just couldn't find a pair in time...gotta get out the door on time!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is nigh unto perfect - 22C/72 F and sunny with a light breeze, and this evening, early (a 6:00 PM curtain) will be the opening of the 2022-2023 season at the Metropolitan Opera. As I've never attended the opening of the season previously, nor have I ever heard, in performance, the evening's opera (Cherubini's "Medea"), I decided to go, and, as it's been three years or more since I've worn my "normal" tuxedo (as opposed to the fancy dinner jackets that I've sported since parties returned to the social calendar last year), I decided to dress up for the occasion. Happily, the tuxedo still fits. As it is still relatively warm, I opted for a cummerbund rather than a waistcoat (which, truth be told, I prefer).

And, in accordance with the request of Son of Saphir, I've photographed myself wearing my Venetian Carnevale masks, as he expressed interest in the one that is normally in the background of my seated shots (the other is just a bonus). While masked and tuxedoed, I look like an extra from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut", or something equally decadent.

Tuxedo & cummerbund - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

View attachment 1837102

the mask,
finally we see what it look like.
the mask,
many mystery now solved.
the mask,
it perfect with the black tie.
the mask,
it show power of a man.
the mask,
it very very good.

You good sport Mr Crusty
Me think many many man here will like it.
Thank you for doing,
`the mask'.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to argue with you though, I was actually curious what made you think it was too large because to my eye it looked about right in the shoulders and waist and I was trying to figure out what you were seeing that made you think differently. Of course everyone has different taste, so that could certainly be all it is.

Well, to answer your point I would say that I see pretty much left room in the chest, that together with the sloping shoulder and the rather narrow lapel gives a quite baggy impression (to me).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads