• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like the jacket, beautiful fabric and wide lapel. Though that cardigan is not the best choice in my eyes.
Ah well, in the end for me it’s about being comfortable on the day, and working with what is available, not so much as wearing outfits that will please everyone (I’ve learned a long time ago that’s virtually impossible).

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah well, in the end for me it’s about being comfortable on the day, and working with what is available, not so much as wearing outfits that will please everyone (I’ve learned a long time ago that’s virtually impossible).

I certainly agree, I always wear what pleases my eyes.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today definitely a softer an more relaxed look. Wool and molaskin. Rainy day here View attachment 1836908 View attachment 1836909

I like the overall composition of colours and textures, less the fit. Even though I understand that this is a more relaxed style, the jacket looks a tad too large to me. A turtleneck is always a great choice, smart and relaxed at the same time.

Druddra

Reaction score
I like the overall composition of colours and textures, less the fit. Even though I understand that this is a more relaxed style, the jacket looks a tad too large to me. A turtleneck is always a great choice, smart and relaxed at the same time.
Thank you! this is a ready to wear one from my tailor, i will see if i can emprove the fit 😊

blewnote1

Reaction score
Boot bashing continues apace…
View attachment 1836833

Something about this just feels off. I think it's the stark contrast between the white shirt and similarly textured navy and black.

Perhaps if keeping the tie black going with a grenadine or a knit or a foulard to play against the texture of the linen shirt or give some visual interest? Otherwise maybe go for something in the blue family?

blewnote1

Reaction score

What makes it look too large? It's a tweed jacket, made for wearing over sweaters and tromping through the countryside no? It looks good through the shoulders and there's a defined waist. I guess the sleeves could be shortened to show some cuff, or if that's how it should look when wearing a sweater instead of a proper shirt.

Anyway, I like it. Best fit I've seen you post yet, in my humble opinion.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From yesterday.

Today.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes it look too large? It's a tweed jacket, made for wearing over sweaters and tromping through the countryside no? It looks good through the shoulders and there's a defined waist. I guess the sleeves could be shortened to show some cuff, or if that's how it should look when wearing a sweater instead of a proper shirt.

Anyway, I like it. Best fit I've seen you post yet, in my humble opinion.

As always, it's a matter of personal taste, you like it looser, I prefer it tighter. I don't assume being right, I just expressed my opinion. Therefore we are here.

Last edited:

blewnote1

Reaction score
As always, it's a matter of personal taste, your like it looser, I prefer it tighter. I don't assume being right, I just expressed my opinion. Therefore we are here.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to argue with you though, I was actually curious what made you think it was too large because to my eye it looked about right in the shoulders and waist and I was trying to figure out what you were seeing that made you think differently. Of course everyone has different taste, so that could certainly be all it is.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is nigh unto perfect - 22C/72 F and sunny with a light breeze, and this evening, early (a 6:00 PM curtain) will be the opening of the 2022-2023 season at the Metropolitan Opera. As I've never attended the opening of the season previously, nor have I ever heard, in performance, the evening's opera (Cherubini's "Medea"), I decided to go, and, as it's been three years or more since I've worn my "normal" tuxedo (as opposed to the fancy dinner jackets that I've sported since parties returned to the social calendar last year), I decided to dress up for the occasion. Happily, the tuxedo still fits. As it is still relatively warm, I opted for a cummerbund rather than a waistcoat (which, truth be told, I prefer).

And, in accordance with the request of Son of Saphir, I've photographed myself wearing my Venetian Carnevale masks, as he expressed interest in the one that is normally in the background of my seated shots (the other is just a bonus). While masked and tuxedoed, I look like an extra from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut", or something equally decadent.

Tuxedo & cummerbund - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG
IMG_7546.JPG
IMG_7547.JPG
IMG_7548.JPG
IMG_7549.JPG
IMG_7550.JPG
IMG_7551.JPG
IMG_7552.JPG

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y’all REALLY are gonna force me to follow Crust’s awesome black tie rig (and his totally ***** masks!) with a boring navy jacket ensemble, I see…
Oh well, have to keep my Italian hatred alive and well…featuring Italian silk and wool on multiple fronts.
ABF0B238-FA0E-4C53-B470-3E330EBFE3AA.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very nice jacket. What rules, exactly?
Thank you. Rules? Oh, I'm just having a bit of fun. StyFo orthodoxy would frown on wearing an off-white jacket over charcoal grey trousers. Others frown upon wearing white (or near-white after Labor Day); wearing a lavender shirt in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads