• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balboa

Reaction score
Is the tartan printed onto the cloth?

It’s tartan with Diamond pattern - Fabric comes from Dugdale Bros. The blazer is MTM.
3C0AFEFF-1E01-4D86-ACCD-996D8D84D9FB.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting! I didn't realize it was possible to weave in the diamond texture and tartan at the same time

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Palisades Village (a Rick Caruso retail development) in Pacific Palisades CA today. Had lunch with two girls I was at school with. Orange and white are our old school colors so wore an orange and white tie and pocket square.

IMG_1969.jpeg

Brooks Brothers camel hair jacket, tie, and vest, Stsafford OCBD shirt, Tommy Hilfiger pocket square, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmomds shoes.

Apparently camel hair jackets are an American thing, like me.

The statue behind me is called "Steadfast".

IMG_1976.jpeg

Here's the plaque behind it.

IMG_1974.jpeg

For some reason, maybe it's another American thing like me, very few people post pictures of saddle shoes in this thread.

These are calf and Kudu.

IMG_1923.jpeg

cr2596

Reaction score
I'll probably regret asking this, but what is nonsensical about it to you?
The combination of colors and textures didn’t click for me at all. Maybe it was the temperature of the pants, or it may be the fact that I’ve liked a traditional blue seersucker separate once in my life, prior to this ensemble. Somehow the shoes pulled it all together.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 2 of "yesterday's news today" - the weather in NYC continues to be mild and pleasant enough to make the wearing of suits possible, and, with our good friend Bernoulli, we had what can only be described as a decorous orgy of fine dining - lunch at Le Bernardin, dinner at Ai Fiori, with a foray to the Museum of Modern Art, and the Morgan Library sandwiched in between.

Bernoulli declared that he was going to make it a two-suited day, and I decided to play along (my husband, and our other companion for lunch, a longtime friend, opted for only one suit for the day). I opted not to change shirts, but to adapt the day's shirt to the second suit with a change of necktie.

Suit #1

Suit - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Niletti Creations, NYC
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris

Suit #2

Suit - Paul Stuart
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Albert Thurston for Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Boots - J Fitzpatrick

IMG_7239.JPG
IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7227.JPG
IMG_7236.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7238.JPG
IMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7242.JPG
IMG_7243.JPG
PXL_20220524_181542736.jpg
PXL_20220524_214548703.NIGHT.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Day 2 of "yesterday's news today" - the weather in NYC continues to be mild and pleasant enough to make the wearing of suits possible, and, with our good friend Bernoulli, we had what can only be described as a decorous orgy of fine dining - lunch at Le Bernardin, dinner at Ai Fiori, with a foray to the Museum of Modern Art, and the Morgan Library sandwiched in between.

Bernoulli declared that he was going to make it a two-suited day, and I decided to play along (my husband, and our other companion for lunch, a longtime friend, opted for only one suit for the day). I opted not to change shirts, but to adapt the day's shirt to the second suit with a change of necktie.

Suit #1

Suit - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris

Suit #2

Suit - Paul Stuart
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Albert Thurston for Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Boots - J Fitzpatrick

View attachment 1795833 View attachment 1795834

Finally escaped from lockdown!

cr2596

Reaction score
I'll probably regret asking this, but what is nonsensical about it to you?
I thought about it some more, and something else is at play. It's actually something I'm curious about, whether others think the same or approach dressing similarly.

In my mind, an outfit should be built in a way that results in a good look, no matter what is added or taken away. For instance, I'm wearing separates with a tie, PS, and a hat...if I remove the hat or the tie or both, the outfit still looks good/balanced. If I remove the jacket, the same. I find myself not relying on a single article to pull an outfit together, as I know that item will come off at some point (I don't wear hats inside).

With that said, I really appreciate others when they make an outfit work well even if it relies on a single item to pull it together. I just wouldn't do it personally.

Today, I got dressed and realized the shirt and pants combo was off, unless the hat I chose was on. I changed my shirt, as I knew I wouldn't be wearing the hat all the time.

Anyone similar? Or, opposing?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is labeled ”Marco Valentino.” I gather that it is distributed by a company in the LA area. The shirt, woven silk necktie, knot cufflinks and the captoe oxfords are all from Brooks Brothers (the shoes are made by Crockett & Jones).

7392773F-1E90-4267-9515-E5732D609DFC.jpeg
5A43E024-68F6-4417-B173-993088D02A4F.jpeg
96B3A359-EE35-4D25-9C67-634BCE156D40.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The Chelsea style boot Friday challenge is still running.

7E9D0FD0-ADE7-483E-9869-9868355AC90B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads