• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
An acute eye for an acute style. I'm assuming that you're talking about the puckering at the second button (next time I'll button the 2nd buttoned). It's due to me standing with my shoulders slouched forward (I stand more erect naturally) and the stiffness of the heavy tweed. The quarters align correctly when I stand in a less slouched posture.

The jacket is an ebay find. The tag says "Stix Baer & Fuller" which I'm guessing would put this jacket in the early 80's since the store closed in '84. The only downside is it's a single vent but I'm ok with that on vintage pieces. I think the pattern lines up nicely, which is the first thing I noticed.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An acute eye for an acute style. I'm assuming that you're talking about the puckering at the second button (next time I'll button the 2nd buttoned). It's due to me standing with my shoulders slouched forward (I stand more erect naturally) and the stiffness of the heavy tweed. The quarters align correctly when I stand in a less slouched posture.

The jacket is an ebay find. The tag says "Stix Baer & Fuller" which I'm guessing would put this jacket in the early 80's since the store closed in '84. The only downside is it's a single vent but I'm ok with that on vintage pieces. I think the pattern lines up nicely, which is the first thing I noticed.
Stix was an STL mainstay until subsumed by Dillard’s. Probably closest equivalent today is Nordstrom. The Macy’s equivalent in STL was Famous-Barr.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This brown suit with that tan waistcoat gets me every time. What a great combo.

Thank you, gentlemen. The best thing about today's ensemble is that it was assembled of parts virtually all of which were on sale. The suit was bought in the US, and the waistcoat in the UK (and I can't remember which was purchased first), and I don't know exactly what drove me to pair up the suit and waistcoat, but now I have no desire to wear the suit without the waistcoat. A most serendipitous combo.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coordinating the lining of the vest with the cufflinks. Black Panther rocks. What, you may ask? Eccentric? Moi? Say it ain't so.

At the end of the day, I dress for myself. I wouldn't choose this ensemble if I had a meeting in the City, of course. But for a slow day in January?
IMG_5171.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC has warmed a bit, though it is much more humid than previously, thus feeling as cold as it did earlier in the week.

After yesterday's three-piece extravaganza, I opted for something quite simple today, putting to good use (one hopes) the last of the bow ties I bought from Hilditch & Key as part of this sales season items. As much as the tie would have looked just fine against a plain white shirt, I liked the look of it against this fine blue graph check a bit better.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Hilditch & Key
Braces - New & Lingwood
Cufflinks - The Wallace Collection, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart (model name Hawthorne)
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Brooks Brothers
Cap - Stetson

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG
IMG_6763.JPG
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6765.JPG
IMG_6768.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads