• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may have been said before - I don’t want to elect myself spokesman for SF but I feel confident in there being a consensus that the way you stand for pictures with your arms stuck out away from your body does not do you or your clothes any favours. Nobody stands like that IRL
"Nobody stands like that IRL"

I do so I suggest getting used to it.

Brennenman

Reaction score
It may have been said before - I don’t want to elect myself spokesman for SF but I feel confident in there being a consensus that the way you stand for pictures with your arms stuck out away from your body does not do you or your clothes any favours. Nobody stands like that IRL
I see nothing wrong with the way he stands

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Nobody stands like that IRL"

I do so I suggest getting used to it.
I think that particular photo isn't so bad. It use to be a lot worse IMO.

When most people are standing up their arms will hang close to their body. Their forearms and/or hands will touch their body as they hang down. I have only seen this hovering arm look in SF photos usually with newer posters. It gets better over time as they start to relax in their photos.

I've never seen someone in real life carry their arms like that, but I haven't seen everyone in the world. Maybe in westerns before a gun fight.

I've tried the hovering arm pose and maybe I should hit the gym because it feels very uncomfortable to me. It's like holding a yoga pose.

Not a big deal. Keep doing your thing. I've gotten use to it.
:cheers:

1642553584153.png

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spanish Colonial Revival architecture and me.

IMG_0648 2.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, pink OCBD shirt, and tie, Austin Reed Of Regent Street vest, Polo Ralph Lauren pocket square, Orvis trousers, and Alllen-Edmonds grey suede shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a piece of potato pizza at Prince Of Venice on Broxton Avenue two blocks south of UCLA picture.

This picture also shows in the late sixties and early seventies if you wanted working buttonholes at Brooks Brothers all you had to do was ask and you got them. Although at the time the default number of sleeve buttons on a three button jacket was two, I often asked for three.

Prince Of Venice is owned by Prince Emanuele Filiberto Umberto Reza Ciro René Maria di Savoia. He is the son and heir of Vittorio Emanuele di Savoia and only male-line grandson of Umberto II, the last King of Italy picture.

IMG_0667.jpeg

Close up of the piece of potato pizza. It was very good.

IMG_0666.jpeg

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that particular photo isn't so bad. It use to be a lot worse IMO.

When most people are standing up their arms will hang close to their body. Their forearms and/or hands will touch their body as they hang down. I have only seen this hovering arm look in SF photos usually with newer posters. It gets better over time as they start to relax in their photos.

I've never seen someone in real life carry their arms like that, but I haven't seen everyone in the world. Maybe in westerns before a gun fight.

I've tried the hovering arm pose and maybe I should hit the gym because it feels very uncomfortable to me. It's like holding a yoga pose.

Not a big deal. Keep doing your thing. I've gotten use to it.
:cheers:

View attachment 1739433
I'm cursed with having very developed lats from being lifelong gym rat, swimmer and surfer among other physical endeavors.

rayk

Reaction score
I'm cursed with having very developed lats from being lifelong gym rat, swimmer and surfer among other physical endeavors.
It’s rather interesting that some among us have never seen this stance.
A majority of serious athletes that use resistance training will eventually develop these muscles that displace the upper arms laterally. I was somewhat irritated by this development in myself when I was in my mid twenties, but eventually grew accustomed to seeing photos of myself. Fast forward four decades to my mid sixties and I’d give anything to look like this again. Looking good, DapperPhilly.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s rather interesting that some among us have never seen this stance.
A majority of serious athletes that use resistance training will eventually develop these muscles that displace the upper arms laterally. I was somewhat irritated by this development in myself when I was in my mid twenties, but eventually grew accustomed to seeing photos of myself. Fast forward four decades to my mid sixties and I’d give anything to look like this again. Looking good, DapperPhilly.
Thank you. I do find it a bit odd that some have never noticed this IRL. Ironically, if I purposefully forced my arms to my sides this would be an unnatural stance for me.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that I could have worn today's ensemble for the Friday Challenge - yet another example of "l'esprit de l'escalier" - c'est la vie . . .

The weather in NYC is currently seasonable, with mostly sunny skies at the moment, and temperatures well above freezing. As I've not been suited up since the week before last, let me return to that state of being, while conditions are favorable. Today's bow tie is a new acquisition - a late-night temptation from the online sales.

Suit & pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Hilditch & Key
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Wedgwood
Vintage watch chain
Boots - J. Fitzpatrick
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Ede & Ravenscroft
Hat - Lock

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6728.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6732.JPG
IMG_6733.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics