• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Ah, too bad for me, being located in the UK. Which cut/fit is that? I know they have a few but all seems a bit confusing.
Oh no! Is it import taxes or something else? Either way in Europe you have plenty of choices :)
this one is their latest neo cut which is a bit of a no go as the adjustments they made can be a bit uncomfortable for some depending on their build. I’d recommend any of their neo cuts that specifically don’t mention their higher raised armholes.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh no! Is it import taxes or something else? Either way in Europe you have plenty of choices :)
this one is their latest neo cut which is a bit of a no go as the adjustments they made can be a bit uncomfortable for some depending on their build. I’d recommend any of their neo cuts that specifically don’t mention their higher raised armholes.
I typically don't like to deal with duties and VAT if I can help it. Returning stuff is also a nightmare. As an exception though, Cavour does a good job of dealing with this post-Brexit.

Thanks for the info!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically don't like to deal with duties and VAT if I can help it. Returning stuff is also a nightmare. As an exception though, Cavour does a good job of dealing with this post-Brexit.

Thanks for the info!
Spier offers to reimburse 50 % of your duties and VAT costs as store credit, if that helps.

Last edited:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To @bernoulli's consternation with loafers involved, lol..Temps were back up in the high 60's.. was able to dress for a mild day for a baptism for my nephew-in-law over the weekend...

SAM_4479.JPG
SAM_4477.JPG
SAM_4491.JPG
SAM_4490.JPG
SAM_4483.JPG
SAM_4487.JPG
SAM_4475.JPG
SAM_4492.JPG
SAM_4488.JPG
SAM_4499.JPG

Suit: Suit Supply
Shirt: Proper Cloth (MTO)
Tie: Drakes
Loafers: Crockett Jones
Socks: Nordstrom Brand
Pocket Square: Battisti Napoli

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your combos are amazing, loafers or no loafers. One question: how did you manage to find something at suit supply that fits you? I visited their store once with @upr_crust and everything looked comical on me. And I am not as tall as you are. The buttoning stance of your jacket looks like it was placed by angels (or other creatures, for those who follow the church of Holy Ronnie Dio), whereas my experience is that buttons came up to my nipples.

To @bernoulli's consternation with loafers involved, lol..Temps were back up in the high 60's.. was able to dress for a mild day for a baptism for my nephew-in-law over the weekend...

View attachment 1736184 View attachment 1736185 View attachment 1736186 View attachment 1736187 View attachment 1736188 View attachment 1736189 View attachment 1736190 View attachment 1736191 View attachment 1736192 View attachment 1736193

Suit: Suit Supply
Shirt: Proper Cloth (MTO)
Tie: Drakes
Loafers: Crockett Jones
Socks: Nordstrom Brand
Pocket Square: Battisti Napoli

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is sunny and only seasonably cold (i.e. above freezing). I am meeting a friend of long standing for lunch and a museum visit, and am continuing with the week of sports jackets, this one being my latest purchase. Whether I have the sides of the jacket let out a bit or not is still up for debate. The trousers are new as well - their first outing.

Sports jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Trousers - Paul Stuart
Bow tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, Boston (long, long ago)
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Thomas Farthing, London
Cap - Stetson, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_6716.JPG

IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6712.JPG
IMG_6713.JPG
IMG_6714.JPG
IMG_6715.JPG

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Looks beautiful but I can't help wondering where you would wear that? Looks too flamboyant for a lawyer or banker to wear to work, and too smart for anywhere else! Without wanting to offend, when you get to this level of "traditional" menswear, is it really just cosplay?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks beautiful but I can't help wondering where you would wear that? Looks too flamboyant for a lawyer or banker to wear to work, and too smart for anywhere else! Without wanting to offend, when you get to this level of "traditional" menswear, is it really just cosplay?
I teach high school and wore this to work. I'm standing in my classroom in the pictures. I have the ability to wear what I like so I do. This outfit is not based on a character from a book, movie or video game so it's not cosplay. Given the sheer number of books, movies and video games in existence, I imagine almost every outfit you and I wear (formal, casual, or otherwise) could be paired with some character. Every outfit is cosplay. Do you take issue with cosplay?

Last edited:

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the poor photo quality. Suit by Yaly Couture of Hoi An, Viet Nam, shirt by Harvie & Hudson, necktie by Burberry, pocket square by Sam Hober, watch by Breitling, vintage cuff links, wedding band by Pro Gems Ltd. and shell cordovan wingtips by Alden

and
EA964403-F9BB-4554-AA06-EBDD06B8D070.jpeg
985C38E4-35BE-46B4-A832-52AF116AEC37.jpeg
and shell cord
23350426-F513-4B5A-9055-595252BABB5F.jpeg

74C37DB9-7AA0-441F-AB5C-0D58D64C6BFC.jpeg

Last edited:

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I teach high school and wore this to work. I'm standing in my classroom in the pictures. I have the ability to wear what I like so I do. This outfit is not based on a character from a book, movie or video game so it's not cosplay. Given the sheer number of books, movies and video games in existence, I imagine almost every outfit you and I wear (formal, casual, or otherwise) could be paired with some character. Every outfit is cosplay. Do you take issue with cosplay?

You‘re representing style in a place where it might be otherwise scarce, and you are role model for your students (especially young men). My wife works in probably the toughest neighborhoods in Chicago, and she, too, models style. Bravissimo.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score

No not at all! I often see cosplay that I find very impressive. To me it is slightly at odds with the concept of style as it relates to day-to-day clothes though. Which, it seems to me is to some extent defined by its practicality. High school teacher though ... I can see that - it's a profession where you can wear what you want and perhaps have a little more freedom than elsewhere to be creative. I wish I had taken the opportunity to do the same thing more often when I was employed as a magazine journalist. Another profession where you don't have "clients" or customers as such. Clients or customers might find this mode of dress a bit ostentatious (hence why lawyers/bankers wear very sober suits - they do not want to "outdress" their clients).
To me, the most interesting elements of the concept of "style" is how it fits into the world we inhabit. Cosplay is obviously the antithesis of this - after all it's really just a contemporary term (derived from the Japanese I believe) for "fancy dress". It's very interesting, culturally, as a concept in its own right, but it isn't style, imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads