• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too close? They are almost identical. I thought they would be a perfect match, but alas. The pants have a slightly wider weave and a slightly darker color. The last picture shows how close the pattens are. Both Polo Ralph Lauren made in the USA. I guess from different years.
Yeah too close as in they are ALMOST identical but they aren't. It looks a bit off to me. Fit and everything else is really good. But this looks like you needed to wear a suit and just took two pieces that looked almost identical and hoped no one else would notice ;)

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah too close as in they are ALMOST identical but they aren't. It looks a bit off to me. Fit and everything else is really good. But this looks like you needed to wear a suit and just took two pieces that looked almost identical and hoped no one else would notice ;)
I hear you. I announced that it wasn't a suit so I wasn't hiding the fact that they didn't match. I happily wear non matching blackwatch plaid items all the time. Giving the same treatment to tweed today. It won't be everyone's/anyone's cup of tea, but I'm ok with that. I still like it. :cheers:

induere_to

Reaction score
Had to delete my previous post, unfortunately… it’ll come back.

So, here’s what I wore today instead:

D1237058-1A17-4CED-89C4-C71FBD6B74E6.jpeg

5E9DBAA1-043C-4024-8EC9-CB2471D9090C.jpeg

85D34DC2-47D2-4F66-AFCA-7754CB54904D.jpeg

Also, it was a satisfying day padding lapels (personal favor to my friend that commissioned the jacket, normally the tailors blind stitch the lapels):

17F315F4-B0C1-4F2D-9650-7BD974E59D72.jpeg

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aboard Amtrak Train 770. a southbound Pacific Surfliner, enroute to San Juan Capistrano CA this morning.

Have noticed some others, like @An Acute Style, include their Bluetooth remote shutter buttons in their pictures, so included mine in this picture. It's sitting in the seat next to me. (I also use the 10 second timer in my iPhone.)

IMG_0122.jpeg

All Brooks Brothers, including my only Christmas tie, a Brooks Brothers British-American Chamber Of Commerce Christmas tie, except for a Jim Thompson pocket square, Chup socks (They were a gift. There is no way I would spend $35.00 for a pair of socks.), and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a mini Moet and tea at The Tea House On Los Rios in San Juan Capistrano picture.

I would spend $28.00 for a mini Moet. My priorities are in the right place.

IMG_0181.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction: Waving at the YouTube San Juan Capistrano Depot Cam after Train 770 arrived.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 6.42.43 PM.png

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot take: No cardigans with suits. Fight me. :)
But I wasn’t wearing a suit. :rotflmao:
I’m not British, but I feel I often see knitwear with suits from them. Often a v-neck rather than a cardigan. I’m general, I like cardigan as with casual suits ie tweed, corduroy, cotton etc. Man’s just trying to stay warm. We can’t all live in the Bay.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch is too generous. No cardigans or knitwear (other than ties) with tailored jackets. This layering trend is getting out of control.

1638942522466.png

I’m not British, but I feel I often see knitwear with suits from them. Often a v-neck rather than a cardigan. I’m general, I like cardigan as with casual suits ie tweed, corduroy, cotton etc. Man’s just trying to stay warm. We can’t all live in the Bay.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ho ho ho. I find both tie and jacket really hard to wear (well, even more than I thought when I bought them) so killed two birds with one stone. My ensembles are cardigan-free since the 1970s.

IMG_4224.jpg
IMG_4232.jpg

Last edited:

monkey66

Reaction score

As a Brit knitwear with suits, and more prominently with tweed/winter jackets is standard dress in the country (for those who care for CM).

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hot take: No cardigans with suits. Fight me. :)

To be honest, it's not my favorite thing to do but around here temps have a very wide range. In the morning we have around 5-7°C (41-44°F), this is not fresco weather for me, then it goes up to 22-24°C (71-75°F) this is even linen temps for me and then goes back to 12-14°C (53-57°F) and windy so the "feels like" changes a lot.

So, some extra layer is needed in the morning to then lose it in the middle of the day and they put it back at the end. :lol:

Man’s just trying to stay warm
This. :lol:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fine. No cardigans with Not a Suits, either. (To be clear, I'm not suggesting this is any kind of rule, just that I can't remember seeing this combination look good. I include some of my own failed attempts in the sample...)

Brennenman

Reaction score
Fine. No cardigans with Not a Suits, either. (To be clear, I'm not suggesting this is any kind of rule, just that I can't remember seeing this combination look good. I include some of my own failed attempts in the sample...)
Does this include the sleeveless cardigan that’s worn like a vest?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads