• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrink1061

Reaction score
Hola!

Superb as always

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
I like it a lot, yet something is off for me. The lapels seem too wide, both for your frame and for the tie you’re matching it with. I’ve always thought a harmony between tie width and lapels works well. Colours, textures and fit all good, but I can’t get past the lapels!
True. As well as the sky high gorge. Unpleasant look that will date quickly. Shame, nice cloth. Coulda been a contender.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot, yet something is off for me. The lapels seem too wide, both for your frame and for the tie you’re matching it with. I’ve always thought a harmony between tie width and lapels works well. Colours, textures and fit all good, but I can’t get past the lapels!
Thanks for your feedback. Lapels are 4" and tie is 3,5". Jacket is 40R with a 18,5" shoulder width. So it's all quite standard imo.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. As well as the sky high gorge. Unpleasant look that will date quickly. Shame, nice cloth. Coulda been a contender.
It's Spier & Mackay's standard gorge. Keep in mind that the pic is taken from below chest level (stomach), so the gorge is always going to look higher because of this angle.

The higher gorge has been a trend for quite some time, I'm not worried that the look will become outdated. Not that I care though, since I wear what I like and not what's regarded as norm.

With that being said, I'm glad you noticed. Because I'd be fine if the gorge was 0,5-0,75" lower. I'd prefer it. But that's unfortunately not an option with Spier's MTO service. It's either this standard gorge height or 2" lower, which I've seen pics of and think is too low. From what I've seen, it creates an unbalance between the gorge, the breast pocket and the overall look which is unpleasing to me.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the lobby of the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles last night before going up the stairs to the Art Deco Society Of Los Angeles's "Cocktails In Historic Places" Christmas event.

All Brooks Brothers except for Allen-Edmonds shoes.

IMG_0027.jpeg

Interacting with one of the Christmas decorations before going up the stairs to the Gallery Bar.

IMG_0033.jpeg

The entrance to the Gallery Bar.

IMG_0035.jpeg

Once again went to an event and found myself underdressed.

IMG_0041.jpeg

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a glass of champagne picture.

IMG_0040.jpeg

For fans of Christmas Tree pictures, one of the Biltmore Hotel's Christmas Trees.

IMG_0047.jpeg

The last event I went to at the Biltmore Hotel was the Tweed Pub Crawl in November 2019.

75439356_2868299203200908_4956616289373126656_o.jpg

The Santa Fe Railway Los Angeles City Ticket Office (and a Fred Harvey shop and office) used to be in the Biltmore Hotel.

My career with the Santa Fe Railway began in the Los Angeles City Ticket Office in June 1965 when my friend who worked there sent me over to the Santa Fe Railway Los Angeles General Office at 6th and Main to see the Chief Clerk in the Passenger Traffic Department and get hired.

00111301.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is quite a formal look for you isn’t it? I’m used to more relaxed looks from you. It’s a good fit though, I like!

Thanks. Not an unusual look for me really, it's just that lately I haven't had that much time to take pics so it's mostly on weekends. Hence more casual looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads