• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7213.JPEG

One of those rare sunny days in London today.

Wearing a navy herringbone suit (Lipman & Sons), Drake's tie and pocket square, Edward Green Chelsea oxfords.

SJTM

Reaction score
I just picked up a NWOT (to me) Spier & Mackay suit as an experiment. This brand is somewhat new to me, but I saw so many examples on this thread that I ordered a linen SC from them this summer. However the cut was not suited to my frame and I returned it.

This suit is a navy DB and I find the cut to be much better for me. However, as a (semi) retired person, my current wardrobe is almost entirely sport coats with trousers or jeans and suits are relegated to the occasional evening event.

I am interested in opinions on just how formal or informal you consider a navy wool DB suit. Furthermore, what do you consider appropriate shoes, ie primarily black oxfords vs walnut AE Strands. I have AE PA's in black, burgundy and two shades of brown, as well as an adelaide (Vernon) in a rich medium brown but thought there might be some derby styles that might be appropriate.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested in opinions on just how formal or informal you consider a navy wool DB suit. Furthermore, what do you consider appropriate shoes, ie primarily black oxfords vs walnut AE Strands.
Depends on the cloth, I suppose. The other evening I wore this suit, navy with faint red box check, Lumb's Golden Bale flannel. Fairly formal, I think, and suitable for evening wear. I wore burgundy Edward Green Halifax chukkas (essentially Dovers but turned into a boot) as there was both a threat of rain and, being outside, there was sand and gravel underfoot. I would not wear walnut colored shoes nor any light-colored shoe with a navy suit.
IMG_1684.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1720.jpeg

SJTM

Reaction score
Depends on the cloth, I suppose. The other evening I wore this suit, navy with faint red box check, Lumb's Golden Bale flannel. Fairly formal, I think, and suitable for evening wear. I wore burgundy Edward Green Halifax chukkas (essentially Dovers but turned into a boot) as there was both a threat of rain and, being outside, there was sand and gravel underfoot. I would not wear walnut colored shoes nor any light-colored shoe with a navy suit.
View attachment 1689603
View attachment 1689605
View attachment 1689608
Thank you. The fabric appears to be a super 130 three season in what I consider a "true" navy. Very traditional. No pattern.

As always, your outfit is impeccable.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying this jacket with a patterned tie. I usually only wear a solid tie. I think it’s ok, but the dark navy in the tie looks almost black in photos. I know many people wouldn’t wear this jacket at all. Despite that, what patterned tie would work with this in your estimation? Thanks for your consideration.

8DA4B115-1254-4C38-A8BF-EB41848BA234.jpeg

1A30E2A3-190B-4C8F-97C5-5E1FAABB0393.jpeg

A49A7F07-1A7C-457A-BC6C-56E9A69E05AA.jpeg

12CCB05B-5E73-40E9-B277-D1651636763B.jpeg

8FC681B7-3E9D-4D86-92CD-DEBF37133E9E.jpeg

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
First wear if my new green Amidé Hadelin Super Geelong sleeveless cardigan today. A bit of a ‘country gentleman’ look I guess, but appropriate for travelling to the countryside.

74C0E35B-734D-4EEE-8649-66CD2BF4FC38.jpeg

SJTM

Reaction score
Trying this jacket with a patterned tie. I usually only wear a solid tie. I think it’s ok, but the dark navy in the tie looks almost black in photos. I know many people wouldn’t wear this jacket at all. Despite that, what patterned tie would work with this in your estimation? Thanks for your consideration.

View attachment 1689844
View attachment 1689843
View attachment 1689845
View attachment 1689847
View attachment 1689846
Personally, i love the jacket and wish I had one! It is a statement unto itself, so agree with your first instince to stay with solid color. Perhaps play with texture such as knit ,Garza, or shantung material I could see any of these in a deep rich blue ( not necessarily navy).

tilesomoole

Reaction score
what patterned tie would work with this in your estimation?

I think your idea of going with a solid tie would be the best choice, however if you must have a(nother) pattern in the tie, I'd choose something that coordinates the colors and does not compete with the high-chroma large-check plaid of the coat. This example pulls the grey up top while letting the jacket do the talking. Maybe something with a little less texture would be better, but nothing formal of course.

Attachments

• ggw.jpg
    ggw.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Go vote in the Friday Challenge !

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Arts & Crafts architecture and me.

IMG_7608.jpeg

Brooks Brothers camel hair jacket, OCBD shirt, BB#1 stripe tie, andArgyle socks, Lyle & Scott Fair Isle sweater vest, Squarextraordinaire pocket square, Vineyard Vines trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

"C's The Day."

October 22 is Champagne Day.

Wanted the keep things mostly in the "C" Section so had Champagne with chili and cornbread at the Alcove Cafe on Hillhurst Avenue in East Hollywood/Los Feliz and wore a camelhair jacket with a chrysanthemum boutonniere.

A quote from "These Are Our Failures" by Christian Chensvold:

“If ‘dressing up’ were a person, it would not be a boulevardier fawned over by the society pages. It would be an old man in a nursing home, sporting a boutonniere that foreshadows the flowers at his own coming funeral. Ties have literally tied everything together, menswear-wise, for more than 200 years. The very concept of what it means to be well dressed falls apart without the necktie.”

IMG_7605.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads