• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

induere_to

Reaction score
I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, got dressed pissed off. The espresso calmed me down a little, a lady approached me on the street and screamed into my ear that I’m going to Hell. Later on in the day, I was informed that I’m being promoted to a cutter by December.

9D5C84F8-9279-44F0-8B48-A1963B998240.jpeg

095FB8CE-C92C-4D63-879D-51222CD54A6A.jpeg

Something tells me this headache is here to stay a while.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, got dressed pissed off. The espresso calmed me down a little, a lady approached me on the street and screamed into my ear that I’m going to Hell. Later on in the day, I was informed that I’m being promoted to a cutter by December.

View attachment 1686329

View attachment 1686330

The thread is showing thru the facing on the top button and the top button on the under side of the lapel was pressed flat making an impression on the face of the lapel.

Fix that! It distracts from the overall look.

This belongs in the sneakers with tailored clothing thread

loarbmhs

Reaction score
The thread is showing thru the facing on the top button and the top button on the under side of the lapel was pressed flat making an impression on the face of the lapel.

I think the impression from the button is unfixable—I fear that it's not just an impression of the button that could be ironed out, but a permanent marring/lightening of the cloth. I experienced a similar nightmare years ago with a classic all-cotton Burberry trench. The dry cleaner pressed the garment with buttons on the underside, and it left permanent halos on the front. Luckily, the trench was about to be replaced. But ever since then, on the few times I've risked having the newer one dry cleaned, I 've been obsessively detailed in my instructions to the presser. They now fit a small cardboard collar around any underside buttons, leveling the area, to ensure there is no fall-off around the outside circumference to make a mark. That saved me from experiencing the nightmare again (and from filing a damage claim against the dry cleaner for a ruining the beauty of a coat that is sadly now irreplaceable).

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1686329

View attachment 1686330

To be fair, you're probably going to hell. It's just statistics.

DandySF

Reaction score
I think the impression from the button is unfixable—I fear that it's not just an impression of the button that could be ironed out, but a permanent marring/lightening of the cloth. I experienced a similar nightmare years ago with a classic all-cotton Burberry trench. The dry cleaner pressed the garment with buttons on the underside, and it left permanent halos on the front. Luckily, the trench was about to be replaced. But ever since then, on the few times I've risked having the newer one dry cleaned, I 've been obsessively detailed in my instructions to the presser. They now fit a small cardboard collar around any underside buttons, leveling the area, to ensure there is no fall-off around the outside circumference to make a mark. That saved me from experiencing the nightmare again (and from filing a damage claim against the dry cleaner for a ruining the beauty of a coat that is sadly now irreplaceable).
I remember reading about a cleaner that removed the buttons to avoid this very problem; the final step of the cleaning and pressing process was to re-attach the buttons.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, @induere_to. The quality of your work is indisputable. The jacket with all spikes individually sewn is striking, both in technique and appearance. I am jealous of it, in a good way.

Here, I am wearing my favorite non-death metal jacket (but I do recommend the latest Archspire masterpiece for those who enjoy their music heavy and technical).

03B91AF0-BAB4-466F-B0E2-EE72A5E3E6D5.jpeg

induere_to

Reaction score
To be fair, you're probably going to hell. It's just statistics.

I mean, at this point I'm convinced I'm going to Hell just because I used sandpaper to show that button indentation on purpose...

Not because I cleanse my sacrificial alter made entirely of goat skulls in my basement with Christian blood every week to fill my sin quota. Some sins are far worse than others.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1686329

View attachment 1686330

It kinda spurs an image of Mad max and Johnny Rotten getting together to make a suit.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It kinda spurs an image of Mad max and Johnny Rotten getting together to make a suit.

Btw, this was in no way a knock on your creativity and talent.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I remember reading about a cleaner that removed the buttons to avoid this very problem; the final step of the cleaning and pressing process was to re-attach the buttons.
Sounds like another great solution to avoiding the problem. Guess my dry cleaner thought it would be easier/quicker to just go the cardboard route, but it probably didn't dawn on him to cut the buttons off and sew them back on.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
491a-drakes40.jpg
491b.jpg
491c.jpg
491d.jpg

All the brown I could find.

Suit: Orazio Luciano
Shirt: Emma Willis
Tie: Drake's
PS: Noname
Shoes: EG

loarbmhs

Reaction score

View attachment 1686329

View attachment 1686330

I'm sincerely interested in your opinion of the Oscar Wilde quotation you append to all your posts. I'm assuming you agree with his position—otherwise, why use it as a marker on your submissions? But given the very fashion-forward looks you produce, are you suggesting that his definition of ugliness (the garment's short lifespan of being fashionable) is correct, and feel that's fine because you're not trying to create looks that will be au courant years from now? Or are you suggesting that Wilde is right and that a more timeless look is indeed less ugly? If the latter, you must feel that you'll still be wearing today's outfits when you hit the ripe old age of 40 or 50 or whatever. You're definitely celebrated on this site as someone with a radically different and creative worldview on men's fashion, so I'd genuinely like to hear where you come out on all this. Thanks!

View attachment 1686329

View attachment 1686330

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads