• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
What's the group think regarding the attempt to fuse casualwear and sportswear? Here is an example from Drakes. There is also a photo without the sweatshirt where he is wearing just the polo. Edit: Added the other photo.

drakes sweatsuit.jpg

Screenshot_20210805-133021_Instagram.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren has been mixing tailored clothing and casual/sports wear for decades. I like it. I like the aesthetics of Drakes, but I find their price point outrageous. Totally get that others can and will pay that much for a sweatshirt.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren has been mixing tailored clothing and casual/sports wear for decades. I like it. I like the aesthetics of Drakes, but I find their price point outrageous. Totally get that others can and will pay that much for a sweatshirt.

I like the aesthetic also, but I guess I'm thinking when I would wear this look. I have never grabbed anything other than sneakers to pair with sweatpants/t-shirt/sweatshirt for a routine errand away from home. If I were to wear the loafers and a polo my end destination would be to a location that was more social in nature and they would be paired with jeans/chinos. If I wore the polo/loafers with sweatpants it would be kind of comical.

We had to wear a uniform to high school that included black derbies. If anyone forgot their sneakers for gym class they had to wear their derbies with gym clothes. This look reminds me of that for some reason.

Can you or anyone think they could pull this off as a fit in a social setting, say out for a day of lunch and shopping?

Last edited:

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the aesthetic also, but I guess I'm thinking when I would wear this look. I have never grabbed anything other than sneakers to pair with sweatpants/t-shirt/sweatshirt for a routine errand away from home. If I were to wear the loafers and a polo my end destination would be to a location that was more social in nature and they would be paired with jeans/chinos. If I wore the polo/loafers with sweatpants it would be kind of comical.

We had to wear a uniform to high school that included black derbies. If anyone forgot their sneakers for gym class they had to wear their derbies with gym clothes. This look reminds me of that for some reason.

Can you or anyone think they could pull this off as a fit in a social setting, say out for a day of lunch and shopping?

What He Said: Pricey! I Could Wear If They Came Straight (Green) Hemmed, No Elastic With Loafers!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would only wear loafers and sweats to take out the garbage. Loafers are a good choice because I don’t have to tie them. Besides that never. Sweats are for the gym/exercise or lounging. Nothing else in my book.

This particular pair has a very thin elastic band at the ankle as well. It makes it look like pajamas to me. I’ve seen some sweat pants that don’t have elastic at the bottom that could maybe work as a stand in for trousers. Again, not something I would do but it looks better draped over a shoe.

I think this could maybe possibly work with an addition of a sport coat, trench coat or overcoat. It needs another layer. It looks too plain. It draws attention to all the wrong places.

edit. This looks dope.
C68D731D-36B1-42BF-8900-5B79BD526245.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, in Shanghai it is not that unusual to see people in their full pajamas walking around. The reason (which may be apocryphal, but comes from a dear friend whose family has lived in Shanghai for generations)? In the late 19th-century or early 20th-century, word started to spread that a shipment of the latest fashion from the West was arriving soon. It did. It was a container of pajamas. Without knowing any better, people gobbled it up and started wearing it on the streets. Quickly, people realized that pajamas were sleepwear, but to save face people continued to wear them unashamedly on the streets.

What is interesting is that Shanghai is not a historical city by Chinese standards, as it has been built and populated by migrants fairly recently. Today, for many wearing pajamas in public is a sign of status. It tells others that your family is "old" Shanghainese, unlike most of the todays' citizens, who are first or second-generation migrants.

Here are some pics I took of people walking around in pajamas. My favorite is the gentleman waiting for somebody in the subway station (the couple is a close second). The guy in the gym? Ugh.

PS: In no way I am making fun of Chinese people. I am fascinated by the local trend of wearing pajamas in public.

Ei2wG8sUcAAbJRR.jpg Ei2zuxoU8AsSDXg.jpg E4zKIeuVoAANsjW.jpg

I would only wear loafers and sweats to take out the garbage. Loafers are a good choice because I don’t have to tie them. Besides that never. Sweats are for the gym/exercise or lounging. Nothing else in my book.

This particular pair has a very thin elastic band at the ankle as well. It makes it look like pajamas to me. I’ve seen some sweat pants that don’t have elastic at the bottom that could maybe work as a stand in for trousers. Again, not something I would do but it looks better draped over a shoe.

I think this could maybe possibly work with an addition of a sport coat, trench coat or overcoat. It needs another layer. It looks too plain. It draws attention to all the wrong places.

edit. This looks dope.
View attachment 1649401

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

RajunCajun

Reaction score

edit. This looks dope.

Yes, but with what shoes. White sneakers is the easy grab. Outside of that I'd go with is something along the line of a "Timberland" type boot (or 3-eye) or at the most a Paraboot derby. Still no loafer.

As an aside, I think that model is an Acute Style in the making.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, in Shanghai it is not that unusual to see people in their full pajamas walking around. The reason (which may be apocryphal, but comes from a dear friend whose family has lived in Shanghai for generations)? In the late 19th-century or early 20th-century, word started to spread that a shipment of the latest fashion from the West was arriving soon. It did. It was a container of pajamas. Without knowing any better, people gobbled it up and started wearing it on the streets. Quickly, people realized that pajamas were sleepwear, but to save face people continued to wear them unashamedly on the streets.

What is interesting is that Shanghai is not a historical city by Chinese standards, as it has been built and populated by migrants fairly recently. Today, for many wearing pajamas in public is a sign of status. It tells others that your family is "old" Shanghainese, unlike most of the todays' citizens, who are first or second-generation migrants.

Here are some pics I took of people walking around in pajamas. My favorite is the gentleman waiting for somebody in the subway station (the couple is a close second). The guy in the gym? Ugh.

PS: In no way I am making fun of Chinese people. I am fascinated by the local trend of wearing pajamas in public.

View attachment 1649404 View attachment 1649406 View attachment 1649403

It occurs to me that the wearing of pajamas in public in August might also have a meteorological reason. Checking the weather for tomorrow in Shanghai, it is predicted to be a high of 91F, with 60% humidity, making it feel like 101F (32C, feels like 37C). Pajamas, being lightweight, might be considered more comfortable for exposure to the elements outside.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Thanks. It's too tight around the middle so might send it back and get one size up. I like the length. I took your critique to heart and see that I look more balanced with a longer sport coat or suit jacket. Thanks again
Now that I look more closely, I see what you mean about the middle being tight. But I'd definitely consider keeping the suit and just letting out the jacket's sides. Remember...going up a size will likely create other problems, such as making the shoulders too wide. The most important elements of fit to get right at the outset are the shoulders and the jacket length, which I think you've nailed. It's no big deal to let out the side seams a bit.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The loafers and sweats look is ridiculous IMO, mostly because of the choice of brown suede. If they were white? That would be a fun subversion of the expected look. Which makes me think that we have finally identified a use for those atrocious white bit loafers @An Acute Style is trying to make happen. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads