• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RajunCajun

Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC continues to be unnaturally pleasant for early August - almost cool in the mornings, and pleasantly warm with low humidity in the afternoons. Grabbing this meteorological opportunity to get another wearing out of today's suit, I have donned that logical absurdity known as a three piece linen suit. Channeling then, my best Tom Wolfe . . .

Suit & tie - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Pocket square - Alain Figaret
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Christys, via Thomas Farthing, London

IMG_20210802_124718.jpg

IMG_20210802_122710.jpg
IMG_20210802_123841.jpg
IMG_20210802_124310.jpg
IMG_20210802_124413.jpg
IMG_20210802_124515.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love this. Again showing the power of a navy jacket to tone down odd trousers and two tone loafers. Where are the loafers from? Only nitpick is the exploding square. I hope no one was hurt.
It's bad enough that you're personally indulging in these outre shoe choices, but to encourage it for impressionable young men? Tsk tsk...

?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Bernoulli, I gave you a positive like for the new commission - fits well, IMHO.

The weather in NYC is overcast, but cooler than average, certainly, for early August, allowing the pachinko machine that is my sartorial brain to set to work. One of the menswear sites to which I post was debating the relevance of paisley ties (or, more generally, richly patterned ties); a friend suggested that I wear something colorful today; and I have new toys (in the form of new shoes) with which to play. Let's see if I was able to satisfy the disparate suggestions of world at large with my final results.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Paul Stuart
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Braces - Paul Stuart (Albert Thurston)
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris - custom colored

IMG_20210803_132647.jpg

IMG_20210803_110839.jpg
IMG_20210803_131645.jpg
IMG_20210803_132137.jpg
IMG_20210803_132350.jpg
IMG_20210803_132450.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine-tuning on the latest commission. Trying to check if it is possible to get a negative number of likes.

View attachment 1648285 View attachment 1648286 View attachment 1648284

Guardian's of the Galaxy?

There was some commentary a few pages back about your jackets not looking good when open. Today's jacket serves as a counterexample. In the last photo, your shoulders look broad and the waist is clearly defined despite the jacket being open. The suit looks good overall. One nitpick: I think the vest would look better with a taller welt on the pockets. Something similar to the jacket's breast pocket. Probably, not actionable advice at this stage, but just my 2 cents. Enjoy the suit.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. When you're sure you're keeping it, take the baste stitch off the lapel button hole. It's a little like leaving the manufacturer's tag on the outside of the sleeve. :)
Thanks. It's too tight around the middle so might send it back and get one size up. I like the length. I took your critique to heart and see that I look more balanced with a longer sport coat or suit jacket. Thanks again

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guardians of the Galaxy indeed. The students will go nuts when I turn to write something on the board. They don't know I have been reading comics since before they were a twinkle in their parents' eyes (or a sperm in a vial for those artificially inseminated). I took a page out of your playbook and went for a monochromatic look.

Thanks for the nitpicking. I really appreciate it. I don't think I will mess with the vest at this stage.

Here is the suit in its maiden voyage. Too warm for the vest. Still, as you mentioned, I think the cut favors my weird body. You be the judge.
0IMG_9345.jpg 0IMG_9347.jpg
0IMG_9296.jpg
IMG_9233.jpg IMG_9231.jpg

Guardian's of the Galaxy?

There was some commentary a few pages back about your jackets not looking good when open. Today's jacket serves as a counterexample. In the last photo, your shoulders look broad and the waist is clearly defined despite the jacket being open. The suit looks good overall. One nitpick: I think the vest would look better with a taller welt on the pockets. Something similar to the jacket's breast pocket. Probably, not actionable advice at this stage, but just my 2 cents. Enjoy the suit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads