• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maintaining appearances.
A8C092F6-B082-44DC-A414-29A3BEC45C0B.jpeg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the Montanez Adobe and Butterfly Sanctuary in San Juan Capistrano CA today.

IMG_7066.jpeg

Brooks Brothers seersucker suit, white PPBD shirt, BB#1 stripe bow tie, and pocket square, Leather Man patchwork Madras belt, and Allen-Edmonds white sued shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a (back lit) person and tea at The Tea House On Los Rios in San Juan Capistrano CA picture.

IMG_7061.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction: This morning boarded a southbound Amtrak train at the Van Nuys CA depot. Both Amtrak and Metrolink trains stop at Van Nuys.

Van Nuys may be the most famous, or maybe infamous, place Metrolink trains stop. In 2017 a Metrolink engineer mistook a possum on the tracks for a person on the tracks and tied up the entire railroad, Metrolink, Amtrak, and Union Pacific, for several hours.

All the search turned up was a dead possum and a bag with a chicken with its head cut off in it. To this day no one seems to know if any attempts were made to find the rightful owner of the bag with a chicken with its head cut off in it.

IMG_7049.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction Part Deux: Two random San Juan Capistrano CA pictures.

IMG_7084.jpeg

IMG_7074.jpeg

AZARIY

Reaction score
Thanks for being so open-minded to my suggestion. And relieved to see it's only a "Single McCarthy," not a "Double McCarthy." :)

Here's a thought: Perhaps the tailor—or a local seamstress—can undo the issue. I.e., take out the bright white thread and replace it with what's on the sleeve holes. I had my tailor redo the stitching around a button hole (issue was uneven stitching, not color), and it turned out fine. The fabric on your suit looks durable enough that it should withstand the process.
You might even get the tailor to do it for free, since he's the who pestered you, against your better judgment, into making the choice. Besides, it's a small job—just one hole vs. eight on the sleeves, and he wants to keep you happy for future commissions, right? And if he balks, tell him no self-respecemployee monitoring softwareting Savile Row tailor would let his client leave the premises with contrasting stitching. (In fact, the British slang for it is "naff"—meaning tacky—which is clearly not the look you're going for; that should get his attention.)

Finally, if you wind up having to live with it, no huge deal. We have all—yours truly included—made mistakes in our sartorial odysseys. That's why the wise advice is to take it slow, and do a single/few commissions at a time, so you can catch the regrets, and refine your look, earlier rather than later. Good luck!

Hello, I'm new to your forum! You know so much about style, about costumes. I would really like to learn this, but, unfortunately, I do not have enough time for this, since I work as a senior developer. Perhaps you could advise me some courses or literature so that I can study as well?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is my last day of Summer School! :slayer: I definitely wanted to wear this jacket, but was unsure about the rest. I tried some bolder, more colorful looks, but settled on this in the end. I promise the pocket square is not prefolded. I never noticed before, but this double breasted jacket is undarted. I definitely need to lengthen the sleeves. Is the jacket body too long?

B271E981-7739-45AD-AD36-E1F8D47C2342.jpeg

BC45AC03-C207-4E93-9464-1DBBA86A5630.jpeg

72759D55-0A6C-4204-AC74-C7F8F9A901C6.jpeg

73CA82AC-4BE0-4F68-A0D5-203581DA30A1.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC has cooled off enough such that the thought of donning a suit jacket does not fill one with dread, and as it has been seven days since I've last donned a tie, and only the second day this week that I've donned long trousers, I thought I would celebrate the break in the weather.

I've also added photographs "in context" of my last three footwear purchases - the black J Fitzpatrick semi-brogue boots, the two special orders from Septieme Largeur, the aubergine lace-ups, and the brown double monks, both accented with crocodile leather.

TGIF

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie & braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Shoes - J Fitzpatrick butterfly loafers

IMG_20210730_135311.jpg

IMG_20210730_131503.jpg
IMG_20210730_132902.jpg
IMG_20210730_133433.jpg
IMG_20210730_133924.jpg
IMG_20210730_134403.jpg
IMG_20210730_134929.jpg
IMG_20210730_135041.jpg
IMG_20210730_135141.jpg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what? I like the length of the sleeves in your recent jackets just fine. Short-sleeved jackets look bad on the Italian-inspired jackets that look like they were stolen from children. They look fine on a summer jacket. Your latest outfits rock.

Today is my last day of Summer School! :slayer: I definitely wanted to wear this jacket, but was unsure about the rest. I tried some bolder, more colorful looks, but settled on this in the end. I promise the pocket square is not prefolded. I never noticed before, but this double breasted jacket is undarted. I definitely need to lengthen the sleeves. Is the jacket body too long?

View attachment 1646511
View attachment 1646509
View attachment 1646512
View attachment 1646516

tilesomoole

Reaction score
. Is the jacket body too long?

Looks like it is past the first knuckle of your thumb which is the rule.......of thumb...... For a full suit. For something casual like that in my view the jacket should be a little shorter.

Fantastic look overall.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads