• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Commencement attire
1621269159828.jpeg

1621269191419.jpeg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very handsome jacket. I know preferred trouser length is personal and arbitrary, but I think most of your pants would look better with a bit more length. Maybe 0.5 to 1" more.

Congrats. What is the degree in? I love green and purple together. I think the knot would look better if it was tighter. Yank the front blade down.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very handsome jacket. I know preferred trouser length is personal and arbitrary, but I think most of your pants would look better with a bit more length. Maybe 0.5 to 1" more.

Congrats. What is the degree in? I love green and purple together. I think the knot would look better if it was tighter. Yank the front blade down.
Many thanks. Degree is a doctor of education in higher education. Agreed on the knot. However, several factors likely contribute to the slack shown between collar and tie: it’s a grenadine; soft collar; lots of movement throughout the day; all this despite me tying a double four in hand.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks. Degree is a doctor of education in higher education. Agreed on the knot. However, several factors likely contribute to the slack shown between collar and tie: it’s a grenadine; soft collar; lots of movement throughout the day; all this despite me tying a double four in hand.

Nice. As a doctor in education, maybe you can "heal" our education system. :smile:

In terms of the knot, I meant the size of the knot itself and not the distance between the collar and the knot. The knot looks more trapezoidal rather than triangular.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather has warmed up a bit in NYC, and is predicted to get to 86F/30C by Wednesday and Thursday, which might bring a cessation to suit-wearing for the interim, but that will be determined on the days themselves. However, for this evening, I am supposed to be meeting a friend for drinks somewhere local to my neighborhood, and, as he's a lawyer, I assume that he'll be fully suited and booted, so I thought that I'd follow suit (pun not intended).

Today's suit is very lightweight, though it is lined. I will have to see this evening whether it is cooler or warmer than any of my unlined summer weight suits.

I am also sporting a shantung tie, the only one in my collection, a gift from my good friend and fellow poster Bernoulli.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_20210517_130454.jpg

IMG_20210517_122217.jpg
IMG_20210517_125447.jpg
IMG_20210517_125945.jpg
IMG_20210517_130105.jpg
IMG_20210517_130314.jpg

RajunCajun

Reaction score

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I both receive and appreciate the feedback. To my eye I like the seamless/straight drape of pants that have no break. As such I try to get my pant length as close to the top of the shoe without it breaking. Depending on the shoes I wear there is sometimes a slight break and sometimes it hits a little high.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. As a doctor in education, maybe you can "heal" our education system. :smile:

In terms of the knot, I meant the size of the knot itself and not the distance between the collar and the knot. The knot looks more trapezoidal rather than triangular.
Gotcha. I hadn’t pondered that angle before but I’ll consider it moving forward.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just another day at the office. My tie is a new one from Harry White, made from Adamley Textiles' new ancient madder silk. This silk has a distinct chalky hand. I always think of silk as being, well, silky. Smooth, almost slippery. This Adamley madder isn't like that at all. It is quite difficult to tie as it really doesn't want to glide over itself at all. There is more friction with this silk than with a wool tie, I'd say. But, having tied it, it tends to stay put, so there's that.
IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

sfny

Reaction score

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What wonderful Marling & Evans fabric. Thanks for posting. Would happen to know which M & E fabric this is? It looks like it has grey and cream in it, but I can't quite tell.
The jacket is from a sample collection by Regent (a German brand that went out of business a few years ago). It’s made from a wool/silk/linen fabric, but the mill is not specified. It’s mainly blue with some beige.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads