• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful ensembles all around, but can somebody explain to me the allure of penny and tassled loafers? In South America it screams "you are a lazy old who doesn't care about menswear and gave up"; it is almost worse than wearing sneakers with suits. Look at the awesome fits by @Betelgeuse: his Carmina complements the suit perfectly. I am not going to give you my opinion on tasseled anything. I am glad that style of footwear does not exist around me. Of course, "de gustibus non est disputandum" and all that, but in my eyes, any classic menswear attire with a loafer would be improved by the right oxford or derby (I like monks and double-monks, but also get why people dislike them). Is it an American thing? Northern European? Or just variety for variety's sake (that would be the most reasonable explanation, I believe, but I stand to be corrected)?
I think loafers are very much a part of American menswear tradition. I absolutely love loafers of all kinds. I’m also wearing loafers today. Look away. Look away.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wonderful ensembles all around, but can somebody explain to me the allure of penny and tassled loafers? In South America it screams "you are a lazy old who doesn't care about menswear and gave up"; it is almost worse than wearing sneakers with suits. Look at the awesome fits by @Betelgeuse: his Carmina complements the suit perfectly. I am not going to give you my opinion on tasseled anything. I am glad that style of footwear does not exist around me. Of course, "de gustibus non est disputandum" and all that, but in my eyes, any classic menswear attire with a loafer would be improved by the right oxford or derby (I like monks and double-monks, but also get why people dislike them). Is it an American thing? Northern European? Or just variety for variety's sake (that would be the most reasonable explanation, I believe, but I stand to be corrected)?
You do realise that only yesterday @Betelgeuse posted a pic wearing his magnificent Jon Lobb ‘Lopez’ penny loafers, right?

I’m sure the “allure” of loafers is just a matter of personal preference more than anything. Maybe regional bias is at play here?
I wear most type of shoes cause I think there are some great occasions to be worn. I know some hate loafers but others hate double monks or any single kinda of monks others hate wholecuts.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear most type of shoes cause I think there are some great occasions to be worn. I know some hate loafers but others hate double monks or any single kinda of monks others hate wholecuts.

And Shoes With Velco...

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is overcast in NYC, and is seasonably cool, making the wearing of a suit not a painful prospect. Initially, I had wanted to wear a new pair of Albert Thurston braces, in dark red, with this suit, but the combos of braces, suit and tie never worked out to my satisfaction, thus I ended up with this two-color combination of blue and white - a bit sedate for my usual Technicolor approach to attire, but sometimes one needs to go with that which works, rather than that which one thinks should work.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie & braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Tiffany's
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Gaziano & Girling for Paul Stuart
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_20210504_133706.jpg

IMG_20210504_131255.jpg
IMG_20210504_132349.jpg
IMG_20210504_133039.jpg
IMG_20210504_133203.jpg
IMG_20210504_133526.jpg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General question.......What are your thoughts on grey flannel chalk stripe pants as a solo act? I see a pair for sale but I'm wondering if they will appear as orphaned suit pants when worn.
People may think you're wearing half a morning dress ensemble.

I used to be in the same camp as you, and still am to some extent. I don't really care for leather tassel loafers, although I do like and own leather penny loafers which I admittedly wear only rarely. @Betelgeuse has posted photos in the past of himself wearing (I believe) Meermin suede tassel loafers, which I really like. Different strokes, and all that.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers, linen and madras. Another addition of leave well enough alone. I had these pants tapered a while ago. First time wearing them. I noticed that the crease is not aligned with the side seams. Would you press them/have them pressed or leave as is?

2DC47C34-F5AC-4F70-9CE9-67B44778DE94.jpeg

E46D4574-DF9E-4F39-90FB-8F1AA0F8142D.jpeg

3F85BF08-99CB-48F5-ADEE-7ABBA42BEAE6.jpeg
A59791F0-9CF4-41E8-88DA-FBE1A2AD85E4.jpeg

4645C72E-7F48-46A1-9DE0-4047E41F66F1.jpeg

4F2BEE93-2887-439C-9C7E-0657F704C6DD.jpeg

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers, linen and madras. Another addition of leave well enough alone. I had these pants tapered a while ago. First time wearing them. I noticed that the crease is not aligned with the side seams. Would you press them/have them pressed or leave as is?

View attachment 1604518
View attachment 1604516
View attachment 1604515 View attachment 1604513
View attachment 1604514
View attachment 1604517

Only If It Bothers You! Trousers Look Great, Maker? This Fit Looks Great... :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

beneven

Reaction score
I think loafers are very much a part of American menswear tradition. I absolutely love loafers of all kinds. I’m also wearing loafers today. Look away. Look away.

I would agree with this, particularly when it comes to North American tradition--and even more particularly when it comes to the ivy / trad / prep variations of North American style (both men's and women's). I've always thought that at least in the ivy / prep styles, the appeal of loafers was the mixing of an "informal" shoe with clothing that might be read as more "formal." Kind of a youthful or fun thing (you don't have to be young to have fun with your clothing, I think most of us would agree with that--but that's an assumption on my part).

Controversial statement: I don't care for loafers w/ suits and would almost always prefer a captoe oxford. Just a personal thing and since I rarely wear suits it's a fairly empty statement...in fact, though I like loafers and have a few decent pairs I hardly ever wear them.

Whatever. /2cents

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with this, particularly when it comes to North American tradition--and even more particularly when it comes to the ivy / trad / prep variations of North American style (both men's and women's). I've always thought that at least in the ivy / prep styles, the appeal of loafers was the mixing of an "informal" shoe with clothing that might be read as more "formal." Kind of a youthful or fun thing (you don't have to be young to have fun with your clothing, I think most of us would agree with that--but that's an assumption on my part).

Controversial statement: I don't care for loafers w/ suits and would almost always prefer a captoe oxford. Just a personal thing and since I rarely wear suits it's a fairly empty statement...in fact, though I like loafers and have a few decent pairs I hardly ever wear them.

Whatever. /2cents
I don't think it's particularly controversial. Especially if you're talking a conservative business dress suit. Think loafs absolutely have a place paired with summery suits though.

Jtchapman

Reaction score
I don't think it's particularly controversial. Especially if you're talking a conservative business dress suit. Think loafs absolutely have a place paired with summery suits though.
I definitely agree with loafers and summer suits! I'll wear loafers with anything but businesses suits, though I'd probably go for a patent oxford over a pump so I guess with anything but businesses or formal wear

beneven

Reaction score

In the post Vox Styfo era it's hard to know what might come off as controversial...

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A white Brugmansia (Angel's Trumpet) and me. It was around 89F here today.

IMG_6560.jpeg

Napps jacket, Brooks Brothers glen plaid PPBD shirt, Vineyard Vines tie, Squareextraordinare pocket square, Darcy Clothing Company snake belt, Banana Republic glen plaid trousers, and Allen-Edmonds white suede shoes.

The most famous snake belt wearer is probably Rangi Ram on the British television series, "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum". Rangi Ram wore his snake belt on his turban.

Here's a picture of Battery Sergeant Major Williams and Rangi Ram wearing his snake belt on his turban.

CsBN6erXYAAtBkY.jpg

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, here's a piece of a person with a Chicken Curry Salad Sandwich (Coronation Chicken Sandwich in the UK) picture. Have no idea why the sandwich came in a bowl instead of on a plate. The sandwich wasn't very good.

IMG_6564.jpeg

For fans of random car pictures posted in this thread, a picture I took on Friday on the way to the barber shop of the current version of the Bijan car, a yellow Rolls-Royce, parked in front of the Bijan store on Rodeo Drive.

Usually there are swarms of tourists around the Bijan car it taking their pictures with it. For the last year there haven't been many tourists. Yes, that's a special yellow Bijan parking meter.

IMG_6524.jpeg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1604518
View attachment 1604516
View attachment 1604515 View attachment 1604513
View attachment 1604514
View attachment 1604517
I love this look, especially the top block. Is the jacket cotton?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads